SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtcourt_gw

Maybe it WASN'T the tomatoes that killed the wormies...

courtcourt
14 years ago

Anyone up for yet another game of "Why are my worms dead?"

I got my worms in January. They've lived in the kitchen in a roughneck Rubbermaid container, with holes for aeration in the top, but no drainage holes in the bottom. Bedding is a mix of newspaper, cardboard, and paper egg cartons. They've gotten a mix of kitchen scraps - lots of avocado peels, banana peels, a little bit of lettuce, apple cores, random stuff from dinners (french fries, the occasional roll, pasta, stuff like that.)

After the fruit fly infestation, I moved the bin outside, left the lid off during the day. I recently put in about a dozen grape tomatoes, and a few whole apples that went bad before we got to them. I left the bin alone for a couple of weeks, because my best guess regarding the fruit flies was that I had overfed.

I went digging around the other day, and found a clump of dead worms around the tomatoes. There were live worms elsewhere in the bin, so I scooped out the dead ones and the tomatoes. I went digging yesterday, and found more dead ones, mostly in the corners. Again, there are still live ones happily going in and out of apples and avocadoes right now, but not nearly as many as I started out with (and I would have assumed that they would have reproduced more by now.)

It was pretty sticky and mucky on the bottom...did it go anaerobic? It was mucky, but I've seen youtube videos showing harvesting and it looked about the same consistency. I took a flat shovel and fluffed the whole thing - the castings on the bottom, the six inches of bedding on the top, and the half-eaten food in the middle, all mixed together.

I also moved the bin back inside, thinking maybe it was the weather (it's been in the 80's, but they are covered up and in the shade.) I checked again today, and I do still have worms going in and out of apples, but I didn't do too much digging, because I'm sure they're already annoyed from the earthquake that happened to their home yesterday.

I don't have escapees...never have.

So, best guess as to what happened? Should I leave it alone for awhile, or should I empty the bin, separate the worms, and start with new food/bedding? I don't want to kill the last of the worms I have left, and I don't want to go buy anymore.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!