SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmtnp

How to design this very long foyer?

Kim
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm finally getting around to posting an update on the progress of this foyer. My daughter and SIL decided to go with this cool wallpaper that I found and like a lot. The other walls will be painted white and the front door will also need a new color- perhaps a dark black? As you can see, I found these square brass legs which increase the height of the credenza by about 10 inches. We decided to not paint the credenza. I like the artwork above the credenza with the brass lamp on the left and probably a larger green potted plant on the right. In the pic the art is tilted- sorry. Is the artwork the correct size? Is the lamp a good choice?

I ordered samples of blue velvet and suede fabrics to reupholster the bench cushions in a shade that’s similar to the blue in the painting. I’m not sure what to place above the bench and would appreciate your feedback- perhaps a cool ledge/shelf; more artwork; or something else. I've thought about what if anything to put in between the credenza and the settee. Any ideas? In front of the window (ignore the table there- it’s not staying) I thought about 1 or 2 large potted trees/plants similar to the picture below. I put a round brass mirror on the small wall between the openings to the living room and the hallway. Any ideas about what if anything should go under the mirror? I’ve ordered samples of FLOR square tiles (https://www.flor.com/area-rugs_carpet-tiles/made-you-look/21-1361.html) in black, blue, green and gray to make a runner in front of the front door. It’s hard to find a runner that’s long enough for what is needed. FLOR tiles come 12" x 12" and in a myriad of colors. You can design various patterns or solids. Do you think neutral colors are the way to go or add in a pop of color? Or something else? We’re still considering a chandelier in the space. I appreciate any and all feedback and ideas. Thank you Houzz Helpers!

Comments (47)

• HU-908434052
    3 years ago

I would almost be tempted to say “design it away and make a small office“ or something like that. Just seems like a waste of space. I guess it depends on where you live, but in my town it’s around $500/sqft so things like that don’t really exist

Kim thanked HU-908434052
  • Related Discussions

Restarting House Design Process (VERY, very long)

Q

Comments (4)
    marciab - thanks for the link to your story. It makes me feel less alone and, at the same time, hopeful knowing that someone else went through something similar and came away with such an absolutely stunning house. WOW!!! One important takeaway is to take the time to get the design right. We don't have anything forcing us to move, but would like to enjoy our new home as soon as reasonably possible. Isn't Greenville just wonderful? Actually, we are about a mile from the Poinsett Hwy so it is easy to get to town. Its only about 10 miles to the baseball stadium and even closer to get to Cherrydale. Timing really depends on how you catch the lights more than anything else. For a Texan, the distances are negligible. Given that I have done RT Houston-to-Austin (~190mi) in a day many times, Charlotte (~100mi) or Atlanta (~150mi) seem like a nice weekend jaunt and Ashville (~50mi) is a place I will be heading to regularly for the festivals and markets (not that Greenville doesn't have enough of their own). Uhoh, this is reminding me of just how much I want to be there in our own house. ~sigh~ Jay - I really feel for you and know how much you want to get up to TR to build that wonderful, dream cottage. We've been very lucky in Houston not to have the roof fall in on real estate as it has in lots of places in FL. But, things have gotten tougher, so we're not as likely to finish the basement of the new house as soon as we want. This prompted DH to get clever and find a place to tuck in an e-room so the 2nd bedroom can immediately be used as a guest room rather than an office. It does add about 40SF, but delays needing to work on the basement until the recent college grad DD actually does have that large family she talks about. We'll see how she still feels about that once she is through law school (GGG). Thanks for the support, y'all. This has been cathartic and y'all are such a great help. Jo Ann
    ...See More

Tile Size for very small foyers plus information on Rialto Beige

Q

Comments (1)
    The Lowes guy didn't suggest cutting down the 16x16 to the size you want, then maybe using the extra for trim? That's the first thing that came to mind.
    ...See More

how long does a chain need to be on a 30 inch light in a 2 story foyer

Q

Comments (5)
    You have a 228 inches ( 19' ) entry floor to second floor ceiling. You have a fixture totaling 107 inches with the mount and chain with 5" in that number for the mounting attachment, . You'd never want it less than eight feet off the floor to fixture bottom. Right ? So 11 inches is the ABSOLUTE MOST extra chain you could need or use.. My bet is you WON'T need another darn inch of chain !! The fixture bottom will simply hang with 108 inches "open" beneath it at entry foyer. And possibly more than that when it is held up for a visual using the whole six feet of chain : ) and the electrician actually REMOVES a few links.
    ...See More

defining foyer area in long open plan apartment

Q

Comments (4)
    Good question! I've mapped out a table - would have 4+ feet of space around it in all directions (hard to tell scale from this floorplan). If I don't put SOMETHING there it is a giant space with nothing in it. I know negative space to balance positive is a good thing, but this definitely feels like a hole. I'd send photos of this but we are finishing up a kitchen reno - right now all our stuff is in back and this entire area is empty.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Something different.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • pbsch
    3 years ago

I would be tempted to look at the space as two linked but different areas. It looks like the back part has an opening into another room...a kitchen perhaps? So maybe something like a tall cabinet to hold/showcase special dinnerware, etc.? Or a nice drinks station. In the area by the door, I'd put in a good size bench and perhaps a wardrobe to hold guests' coats and jackets. Matching area rugs for each of the two "parts" would separate them but tie them together, too. Looks like a fun space to work with.

Kim thanked pbsch
  • Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want to thank all of for your comments and suggestions. They are all so helpful. The pics you sent of ideas are especially helpful. Now I feel like I have a direction to go in. This is going to be fun. You all rock!

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    3 years ago

Below are a few ideas from out designs that just might help you with your dilemma. Notice this mudroom setup:

Southampton Modern Farmhouse: Entry · More Info

Console and mirror:

Southampton Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Long runner:

Chelsea Loft · More Info

Simply High Line · More Info

Kim thanked Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
  • Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm seeing how big of an impact a long carpet runner will make. Thanks to all of you.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

There is room for a sideboard with a mirror above & buffet lamps.

Kim thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We just bought this credenza for the foyer for a super inexpensive price. I plan to paint it a distinct modern color- perhaps green, blue, teal, or gold OR crisp white like the photos below.. The reason being that my daughter and SIL have quite of bit of wood furniture and I want to bring in some interest and color. What do you also think about also wallpapering the long wall in a modern gray & white pattern? Thank you in advance for any advice!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

kim, love that one. I've been painting furniture for 9 years now. I've done many vintage pieces like that one you have.

this was one of my worst before/after. This was shipped out to a customer in IL.

have you painted them or do you know the process? That piece you have has a very nice burled wood front. I'd prob leave that and just do the sides and top.

did one of the cheap 70's models too. (which are similar to the bottom 3-4 pics you posted) the top got 7 coats to get it this glossy. lots of sanding in between too. (The examples you're using above? they're from a fellow blogger I used to talk with back in 2012/13)

Kim thanked Beth H. :
  • Sandybean
    3 years ago

I agree with keeping that burled front...gorgeous. Beth your pieces are beautiful! Nice job.

Kim thanked Sandybean
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Kim- that is a awesome piece and it will be stunning. I don’t have Beth’s patience but take her guidance. She is true artisan/expert. I am more of a Chalk paint or Metallic paint girl! Lol.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • happyleg
    3 years ago

Stunning!

Kim thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    SOJI Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Kim, thanks for sharing your daughter's fun foyer with us! Just out of curiosity, what does your daughter want to achieve with this space? How does she want to feel throughout? Before I suggest items like consoles or a settee, really want to know what the need is first :)

Kim thanked SOJI Interiors
  • signatuur
    3 years ago

What a beautiful space!

Why not make the long wall a focus point with one big XXXL 'wallpaper'/photo . Gives something for the eye and at the same time keeps the space as 'serene'.

Replace the carpet under the furniture for one in one of the colors of the wallpaper.

Or have a runner carpet from this wall just to the top of the step. This way you let the spaces flow into each other.

Kim thanked signatuur
  • carol beachlady
    3 years ago

A longer, "statement" console table with mirror or large art above. A long rug or runner will pull the ends together. At the far end a small settee/bench, occasional chair, a small table and a lamp or 2. Make it a small conversation area. This is actually a huge space, compared to many homes. Make it useable, and not just a place to pass through to the next rooms. A spot where can guests can gather outside of the main party. If you entertain a lot a small game table there would be welcoming. Wallpaper - unless it is a textured cloth, like grass cloth, will limit your choice of art, unless you are extremely eclectic/adventurous. A light-filtering window treatment to filter the view into the next room. More lighting - I can see only 3 can lights near the front door.

Kim thanked carol beachlady
  • Mimi
    3 years ago

Beautiful piece, I too would keep the front as is and do other sides. Was that from an antique store. Love it.

Kim thanked Mimi
  • Pamela Gill
    3 years ago

Trim, trim, trim!!! Simple wainscot, heavy door and cased opening trim. Wainscot can come in varying designs, full wall, 3/4 wall or half wall. Forget any chair rail, too dated. If she has the funds 1x8 planks run horizonally .

Kim thanked Pamela Gill
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

Wallpaper or a “wow” mural will identify the front space and you can have a sitting area towards the back (as Beverly suggested). There is room for the painted piece near the door and something else a few yards down. It can be a really amazing entrance, even though it looks perplexing at first. The above ideas are all great. I’m also with Flo - I use chalk paint because I don’t have Beth’s patience either. Love the idea of a strong color.

Kim thanked RedRyder
  • Rick Ucci
    3 years ago

I like the white wainscoting with a long jute runner. Artwork on the walls, maybe a white mud room style coat rack with cubbies. Perhaps some sconce style lighting?

Kim thanked Rick Ucci
  • Maude Adams
    3 years ago

Just an observation based on the photos: It’s interesting how well pieces with substantial HEIGHT look in the space. (Even the pair of tall skinny table lamps.) I also like the idea of a bright color for the inside of the door.

As someone who struggled with knee problems for a while, and since you’re old enough to have an adult daughter, I’d urge you not to omit four essentials-for-the-aging. A sturdy, clutter-free tabletop to put packages and handbags down on. An umbrella holder for wet items and walking sticks. A bench or sturdy chairs with arms not too far from the door. And don’t omit good lighting — my spouse can’t walk past a lamp without turning it on these days. These things can all be achieved stylishly, and add a real, practical feeling of welcome to an entry.

Kim thanked Maude Adams
  • sandeeteedee
    3 years ago

I would just stop calling it an entry hall and redefine it as a Gallery! That wall has amazing possibilities and I do love the dark gray. perhaps keep all art to black and white, or keep all frames the same finish, or concentrate on a particular subject. The largest most important art would be centered to view from the open arch living room and then built from there to each side. Whatever the art is that is collected will give you cues to the rug, console tables, lights, etc. I would stay away from anything small and instead go for large statement pieces. How formal or informal is the family? Kids running in and out or just adult guests using this door? My one caveat is to only pick things you LOVE, not just fill the space. Have fun with it.

Kim thanked sandeeteedee
  • Rebecca Averill
    3 years ago

Since the closet is at the far end, I would suggest adding a table there, and/or a bench or chair. Who wants to set their purse on a table near the door, walk to the closet to hang their coat, and walk back to the table to retrieve their purse? Make it easy to use and it will get used and stay neat!

Kim thanked Rebecca Averill
  • decorpatti
    3 years ago

I love all the pictures that Beth posted; the one thing I notice about almost all of them: they are full of light. Your daughter's beautiful gallery (as an artist, I like that idea and would love to have that kind of space to display my artwork) seem dark, cave-like and unwelcoming. I understand that grays are ubiquitous in today's decorating, and dark grays lend a feeling of drama to a space; adding bold, colorful, large-scale artwork will liven the space and create a sense of joy and purpose, which I feel is lacking with the dark gray walls. Of course, it is only my opinion. It is a lovely open space with so many possibilities to make it feel like her home...what does SHE want/like?

Kim thanked decorpatti
  • HU-786049761
    3 years ago

I think you could either add a 3/4 wall of white painted board and batten wainscoting or simply paint the long wall white to brighten this space. Ship lap could add interest as well. Wallpaper could get very busy and overwhelming on a long wall like this. Divide the space into 2, console by the door and either a bench or settee by the window. A mirror by a window helps to reflect light into a space too. Looks like you get to have double the fun!

Kim thanked HU-786049761
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Make sure you keep within the "style" of your daughter's desires and the homes "bones". Please, no "shiplap". Super large art with good lighting is the way I would take this "gallery" entry.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jayne M
    3 years ago

I also think it is like a gallery wall. A gorgeous long runner plus some fabulous oversized art- either black and white family portraits or colorful art the family truly loves. Simple wall color either white or dark. Lights for each photo. Plus either a big upholstered bench with flip top storage for shoes underneath (best thing I ever did for my foyer to keep kid's shoes off the floor) or settee or chair and small table in front of window.

Kim thanked Jayne M
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

For inspiration

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • cactussal
    3 years ago

Can you post a floorpan of this level of the home? If not, where does the opening on the wall just before the closet lead? And is this the entrance that your daughter and SIL use on a daily basis (vs. access from a garage to the kitchen, for instance)? Or is this entrance primarily used for guests?

Kim thanked cactussal
  • User
    3 years ago

I would put plants and a truly useful old fashioned coat tree at the end of the foyer, at the window near the closet. A full length mirror nearby.

I would put a useful, low cabinet on the long wall, and over it a welcoming gallery of personal photos mixed with art work, and maybe sconces. I probably would pick something more upscale but I like the size and functionality of this, with trays on the top for mail, keys, etc

AICO Michael Amini Kathy Ireland Brooklyn Walk TV Console · More Info

I’d probably look for a fun rug leading up to the coat tree

Abani Mesa MES150A Rug 7'9"x10'2" Blue Rug · More Info

Safavieh Rodeo Drive RD607 Area Rug, White/Ivory, 9'-6" X 13'-6" Rectangle · More Info

Kim thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

One more

Safavieh Kilim Klm814A Red Area Rug, 5'x8' · More Info

Kim thanked User
  • ideabooks1
    3 years ago

Beth H is a genius. The sample pics are epic. The one with the teal door and teal with a splash of orange is awesome. I’ve had that pic saved in my folder forever. I never could find the rug. So envious. The more beach feel with grass rug is very nice as well. Ever find out where I can get that teal rug please share. LOL

Kim thanked ideabooks1
  • JT7abcz
    3 years ago

These are all great suggestions. At the risk of stating the obvious, something else to keep in mind is the styling of the area straight ahead as people walk in the door and visible through the window. It should be tidy and cohesive with the design of the hallway. It's hard to tell what furniture is in that area but you may want to consider moving the piece that is blocking part of the window.

Kim thanked JT7abcz
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Ideabooks1- I found that rug! But sadly not sure it’s still available. But you could try contacting the folks that posted it on instagram.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Signature Home Designs
    3 years ago

I second some ideas already mentioned: Contrast (accent) color for the door, and substantial trim. I like that the flooring runs the width, not the length. A rug with stripes (either bold or subtle) that runs in the same direction as the flooring would be another idea. A fun hanging light (pendant/small chandelier) at each end of the room would help bring the ends of the room together a bit. Two matching rugs (that would leave about 24" of wood showing all the way around and probably more in between - maybe the width of the doorway into the next room) would also keep it from looking long and narrow. If you put a bold accent on the middle of the long wall (such as the large picture with flowers shown above), two rugs might might might not harmonize with a central accent. So you might want to consider one OR the other. One more thing, maybe some molding on the ceiling, again running the short way not the long way IF it can be so that the spacing make sense AND it coordinates well with the various things going on on the one side of the room. I wouldn't use a high contrast color for this.

Indian River Retreat · More Info

Kim thanked Signature Home Designs
  • Beth G
    3 years ago

Gallery walls, runners, table and chair in the far end close to the coat closet, lighter wall colors . . all good ideas mentioned above. May I suggest that the patio or screened porch beyond the windows on the far end be improved to look attractive? Such as using some large potted plants/small trees (good fakes if there is not enough natural light to grow the real thing there), and perhaps a nice hanging light fixture in the patio, centered in the view from the front hall. Move the table that's currently in the patio to a different location so that it doesn't block the view.

Kim thanked Beth G
  • carol beachlady
    3 years ago

Looking again at this foyer. First of all, the color is way too dark. There is limited natural light coming in, it is long, and cave-like. Lighting - a couple of hanging fixtures. Again, light is more welcoming. I think a lighter color would be make the area appear more spacious and more welcoming. Add the color in the rugs and the art. There is enough wall space for several large pieces. The space is long enough to make a sitting/game area at the far end. With seating there, this could be a place for people to remove their coats to the coat closet. I would add a translucent window treatment at the far end. The little table there now is way too small and better be used elsewhere. I like benches in halls. If you chose a table select one longer, and in a pretty natural wood. With one rug, accentuate the entry area, and with a second rug, accentuate the seating/game area towards the back. Both rugs should be the same type, such as orientals. The richer colors would stand out against the lighter flooring.

Kim thanked carol beachlady
  • Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am blown away and so appreciative to each of you for your thoughtful feedback, suggestions and inspiration photos. I'm going to try to address all of your comments and questions here. My daughter and SIL have asked me to help them with their new home although we live 4 hours away. They only ask that I make it cool, unique, not formal, modern with a bit of transitional feel. They trust me which is wonderful. I show them options and they pick what they like best.

They have 2 young kiddies at home, however since they have a mudroom near the garage, this foyer is used primarily for guests. So they don't need places to store kids clothing, boots, etc.

The credenza was bought on Facebook Marketplace for under $200! I'm carefully considering whether to paint it all, just the top and sides, or not at all. If I paint just the sides and top, do I paint the frame that is seen from the front? And the legs too? I have done some furniture painting and refinishing but not a lot so I will educate myself before taking on a project like this.

The closet door that you see at the end of the foyer, prevents me from putting a seat. bench, etc. there.

The opening that you see just before the closet is a hallway that leads to other spaces in the house.

I agree with you all that lighting is a big issue. There are 7 can lights in the foyer but they are oddly placed and as you pointed out, one or two fab. fixtures would make a world of difference.

This house was built in the 90s and has no trim at all. At this point, I think it would open a big can of worms to start adding trim- though down the line that may happen.

The window that you see at the back shows the back deck and I agree that the visual needs to be improved with a window treatment, moving items, or adding potted plants, etc.

The walls are definitely dark and I believe should and will be painted. And the color of the front door should either remain the same or be painted. Beth, the picture that shows gold paint on the upper section of the wall and gray on the bottom is intriguing. I also like the idea of good old white for all the walls. OR I'm going back and forth about wallpaper or a large mural. I feel stuck in that regard. Help!

With the space being so long, I was wondering about adding a tall china cabinet or breakfront in addition to the credenza. What do you think about that?

Unfortunately, we don't have a floorplan for the space, however, when we go for a visit next week I could draw one up.

May I ask your opinion on where to start first? What's the order to proceed? I'm unsure about that!

Lastly, here is a settee, that I found for them. I will probably have the cushions recovered after the other decisions are made. Not sure where it's going to go yet but I like the look of it.

I cannot thank you all enough for your kind and generous help. Kim

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Here's hoping you do something more than just paint the entry sideboard

Kim thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    3 years ago

Where to start?

I would start with the area that is visible from the living room. The foyer will look lovely I'm sure but it's not a destination in itself so you want to make it the entry to the living room.

If you choose to put plants near the back window of the foyer, consider echoing your choice on the deck visible through the window.

Kim thanked User
  • Marcia Holman
    3 years ago

First of all, choose a lighter paint. Some of the ideas shown are excellent, especially the fabulous overhead light. Would not suggest using a mirror as it will just accent the too-large empty space. Use lots of paintings or a gallery wall balanced by a credenza on the other side with coordinating lamps. A bench close to the front door is always helpful.

Kim thanked Marcia Holman
  • rancherogrl
    3 years ago

OMG no, don't paint that vintage wood credenza!

Kim thanked rancherogrl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

That settee is wonderful. I really like the dark gray walls and that settee as is would make great piece for this gallery entry. Then try cleaning the credenza and leave it natural for now. Bring in art and two light fixtures to go with styling and it will be wonderful. The settee looks like it would fit right in entry across from entry to living room. Then credenza on opposite wall further down the gallery. Add a couple colorful large pictures and done. Select locations for main pieces first. Then choose art, then rug(s). Then lighting and accessories. Beautiful area.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Something like this.

Kim thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Margaret Pook Interior Design, LLC
    3 years ago

It is a lovely large foyer. As a designer, I would suggest painting the walls, not papering them- if you want a dark color, see my note below on the credenza color, but the grey is very cold. To give the space its own vibe, I would place the credenza you purchased on the long wall with two armless side chairs flanking it (they can have seat colors in a bright hue)- place it so that it is centered on the portal to the living room. I love the burled wood on the front of the credenza, is the top slate? I would paint all other wood on the piece black or dark grey to coordinate with the top and let the burl panels shine. Place a large painting or a center painting with smaller flanking pictures over the credenza with a picture light (this creates focus and not just general lighting from the recessed lighting above). On the small wall on the right, I would place a demi lune table with a mirror above it. An entry hall should always have a place for guests to sit and change shoes, put a purse down and check yourself in the mirror! If you are making architectural changes, I would frame the portal to the living room (drop down from the ceiling and add trim casing) to create a true doorway. Next, the space needs something textured, like a sisal rug or an oriental rug.

Kim thanked Margaret Pook Interior Design, LLC
  • shelleysmith999
    3 years ago

• Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks again to all of you! I've listened carefully and considered all of your advice. I will post updated pictures in a few weeks when some progress has been made.