SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

HDMI cable connection problems

mtvhike
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Maybe this is too much information, but here goes. A couple of years ago I started setting up an AV system in my vacation-and-soon-to-be-retirement home. I began with a TV and a sound bar. The TV has 3 HDMI inputs, so I used one for my computer. I used the second one for my BluRay/SACD player, and the third for my cable box. To upgrade the sound, I got an older generation AV receiver and speakers from a store closeout and fed the output from the TV to it. I also have another computer and wish to use that also, but I ran out of inputs, so I have to switch cables when necessary. As an aside, does it matter which one goes to HDMI1, which has ARC? The drawing is shown below:

Two problems with this system: Not enough inputs, and I am using the TV's audio system for everything, and I'm not sure if it's the best quality. So I got an HDMI switch and used that. That switch, in addition to switching inputs, also put the audio from the HDMI input into one of three different outputs - optical digital, coaxial digital, and analog RCA. The HDMI switch part worked, but non of the additional outputs, so I contacted the supplier and they sent me another one. The new one did work as expected, for awhile. Then it got flaky - sometimes it wouldn't switch inputs, sometimes the digital audio outputs wouldn't work. Often unplugging it from the power would reset it, so finally I gave up on it. The drawing for the second setup is below:

I have a few specific questions:

1. Does it matter which input I use for the TV monitor (one is ARC and the others are not)? None of the inputs in the HDMI switch are labeled ARC.

2. If I put a disc in the SONY player, it may or may not work properly, depending on the kind of disc (it always worked in the initial setup).

3. Does the quality of the HDMI cable affect the performance? Sometimes changing the cable helps, but I can't get any consistent results. All of the cable lengths are 6 feet or less.

4. Any other improvements? Maybe I need to get a different switch, any suggestions? Mine cost $59 on line.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor