SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annchen_knodt

Installing LVP under dishwasher

Annchen Knodt
3 years ago

I'm installing LVP over the plywood subfloor in my kitchen and trying to decide what's best for under the dishwasher. The LVP had actually been in place for 4 months, up to about 4 inches under the dishwasher (but not under the legs), and as I'm taking it back up to fix a subfloor issue I've noticed that there's a damp spot under the LVP right below the dishwasher (and a very small amount of mold starting to grow, you can see it in the pic if you squint, along with some faint water lines on the bottom of the DW that may reflect the source of the problem).

This of course has alerted me to the concern with catching any future DW leaks before they get down to the subfloor, and I've been surprised to find that online most people generally recommend installing the flooring finishes just up to and under the front feet of the dishwasher for the purposes of easily being able to remove the DW when necessary, and I don't see as much consideration given to leak-proofing the arrangement.

My thought is that the ideal solution would be to install the (waterproof) LVP through the entire DW cavity and caulk the edges, but I haven't really seen this recommended anywhere so I wonder if I'm missing something! I'm aware of the concern with heavy appliances pinning down a floating floor, but I've read that people do this plenty under refrigerators etc without issue.

Thank you!

Comments (6)