SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_ratner

LVP buckling and leveling cement under it cracking

J R
3 years ago

I installed luxury vinyl planks with a good thickness in my basement this past winter, in New York State. My contractor put leveling cement over my existing concrete floor before laying the planks. We had no issues until the middle of the summer when many of the planks started buckling. We then started noticing not just buckling but a true bubbling of multiple planks in an area. This morning my kids were in the basement Playing and noticed that a few of the planks were actually detached. I peeled the planks away and noticed that the concrete underneath them, the one that was laid to level the existing cement floor, was all bubbled and cracked. I tapped on it and it seemed hollow and immediately shattered. I am attaching photos below. This is in a basement which is below ground, but we have a dehumidifier running, starting in mid July when we noticed the buckling to start. What could have gone wrong with the leveling cement? Did I not use a dehumidifier soon enough? I know that the luxury vinyl planks are waterproof, but should they not have been installed in my basement? I’m second-guessing my choosing this product and not going with an industrial carpet that didn’t have any products that could expand or contract due to the seasons.

Comments (21)