SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474629887

Adding a Pocket door to Laundry Room

LKB
3 years ago

The laundry room is just off the garage, and the area by the fridge was just a huge pile of stuff, and I needed some overflow from my pantry to be housed in the laundry room- I pulled in some shelves from the garage and realized quickly how much of a pain it is to walk into the laundry room, shut the door to access the shelves behind the door.

I pulled down the door and it already feels amazing, but this doesn’t feel like a long term solution.

I’m reaching out to someone tomorrow.

A few questions I have:

1. From what I have read, there won’t be a problem putting a pocket door where there is a light switch (just need a different / slip electrical box). Is this true?

2. Can anyone point me in the direction of some tiny laundry rooms? Even the compact ones I search on Houzz have way more room than mine.

3. Is there anyway to do a pocket on the laundry and the pantry?

Not looking for a crazy remodel, but as we live in the home longer, I’d like to make this more functional. Currently we have 1 child (12 months) and a dog. We may have more (1) children. I’m not sure if the hooks and cubbies is the best use of space.

I don’t fold clothes in the laundry room, and probably won’t even if I had the room to do so.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You don't have enough room to accommodate a 36" pocket door. You need either 36" to the right or the left of the opening. IMO it's not worth the remodel.

You have to tear off the interior wall of the laundry and reframe the wall to accommodate the track and door.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I knew the wall would need to come down... but don’t know why I didn’t think that I needed at lease the width of the door for the pocket. Thanks .

36.5 is from outside jamb to outside jam. The door opening is 32” (I wasn’t exactly sure how to draw it).

If it can’t fit behind the fridge, the wall between the pantry and laundry door is 40”. Is it an option there?

The pantry doesn’t go in that far (see photo).

I was going to get a quote because I have no clue what it will cost and google says $1,000-$3,500. And I’d like a little less of a range.

You can’t see the shelving from the kitchen, and I can reorganize above the dryer so it’s not as crazy. Would you recommend just leaving the door off?

Plan to be here for 15 years or more. (Been here 3, and my parents bought a house around the corner)

• Related Discussions

Adding Pocket Door to water closet

Q

Comments (8)
    Johnson hardware for the tracks and hangers. A door at least slightly wider tan the opening is needed if there is any trim pattern to the door (like panels). You need to trim off some of the 'show' edge to center the decoration while leaving some of the pocket edge in the pocket when the door is closed. Stop molding may also be needed on the jamb opposite the pocket to provide privacy. I do not use the typical plastic guides to prevent door sway (they will scratch the face of the door eventually). Mount a short section of aluminum angle on the floor of the pocket and cut a mating groove in the bottom of the door to prevent sway.
    ...See More

Adding wall partition w/ bi-fold doors for laundry

Q

Comments (2)
    Is the laundry room going to be the full size of the current raised tub area or smaller? If it's going to take up the whole space, then why not put the wall just to this side of the current wall tile, thus avoiding walling in the tile?? If that's too big, then I'd just take down the wall tile and put new drywall in. It's a pretty simple job. And it'll look better, since the tile doesn't go all the way around the space.
    ...See More

Expanding master bath, adding laundry room?

Q

Comments (9)
    I think your plan has potential, depending on your priorities and the conventions in your neighbourhood (how quickly is resale an issue, what are the local expectations of a MBr, closet, MBa, etc). It looks like it's time to do a little research/thinking. Your current 5th bedroom looks like it's 10 ft deep? Do you want a 10ft deep full laundry ROOM? Or would a closet with a stacking unit be enough? Do you need a walk-in closet? If so, what kind of dimensions are you imagining? In our current reno, we've decided to forgo a walk-in for a wall of deeper-than-standard closets. If you did a run of closets 3' deep by 14' along your back wall, you would still have a 14x20 bedroom, plus what would be more than enough closet space for us. Alternatively, how big is your current bathroom, and how much bigger do you need it to be? If you're only trying to make space for a separate shower, taking over the closets that surround the back of your current bathroom might make enough room. You could then put the laundry in the 5th bedroom at the other end, backing onto the hall bathroom, and this might leave you enough room in the bedroom for your office, and let you keep the closets you have. Even a 9x10 room is likely big enough for your small office, leaving you 5 x10 for your laundry... (unless the closets are part of your 10x14 dimension?)
    ...See More

Adding a supply vent to laundry room

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a similar sized laundry room. The supply vent is in the floor approximately 2-3 feet from either wall. The problem it is constantly being stepped on and collects debris. Other than that is vent works fine. I suggest installing it away from the traffic flow as much as possible.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

So the wall with the plastic shelves is 40" from the door jamb to the corner? If so you can probably do a pocket. In this case it will likely be easier to build a second wall inside the laundry to create the pocket versus re framing, just guessing you will find lots of obstructions in that wall. Definitely look at completely changing the storage- installing IKEA cabinets floor to ceiling in that space would transform the amount of storage while looking much more put together.

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Your LR isn’t that small- it’s just packed to the gills. If you’re going to make this your home for 15yrs do what you need to do to make it as functional and lovely as you can! Were it me I’d make the reno more extensive. The pantry design isn’t very functional. I’d combine the pantry and laundry into a single space with a single door, moved to the right so it’s not so tight to the fridge and do a pocket door or barn door. Or if you’re concerned about dry goods and the damp you could do a shallow inset pantry cab and steal the rest of the pantry space for the laundry/mud room. I am sure that combined sf could look and function better. It won’t be very expensive. And.... I mean no offense in saying this... but as I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that sometimes the solution is not more or better storage, it’s less stuff to store!

• Cavimum
    3 years ago

"You have to tear off the interior wall of the laundry and reframe the wall to accommodate the track and door."

This. And you will lose a few inches of floor space in the process, because the new wall will be thicker, to allow for the pocket door. Plus adding an entire new wall (framing & sheetrock) on that side, then there is the trim, which might be saved and re-used.

I would definitely want a door there. Only you can decide if the extensive remodel is worth it.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

If it can’t fit behind the fridge, the wall between the pantry and laundry door is 40”. Is it an option there?

Yes.

Plan to be here for 15 years or more. (Been here 3, and my parents bought a house around the corner)

Then it’s definitely it worth it to make the most out of the laundry room AND pantry!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s a weird (tract home) layout. The interior laundry room dimensions don’t add up to the width of the wall between the laundry door and pantry.

But there is 40” on the outside wall. But if I come in from the kitchen side, I worry about matching everything up.

The pantry isn’t small- and the shelf heights work pretty well for what I do, and plan to do. I just tend to do a Costco / large grocery trip every 3 months and then weekly or every 10 days for fresh foods. (Pre-covid) and my pantry looks a little less organized as I’ve had to make do with what’s available.

Also, the shelves have started to sag as I store many cans on them, so I had to move those lower to the ground. Ideally I’d have them higher for ease to grab.

But that’s about 80lbs when all my boxes are full. I reuses the boxes from Costco and while it looks like I have a lot of corn, each box has different stuff.

The paint on the shelves is also starting to wear from pulling in and out my flour / sugar containers and cans.

One shelf (straight in) is about 26” wide and the one to the right with all the cans is about 35”.

We have 10ft ceilings and I can put 3-4 more shelves above- which will help with storage. But since the lower shelves need work- I’ve been slow to add the others as I dont want to spend the time and money to add them, then need to redo the lowers.

The weird corner wall- behind that is out water tank. I got a rough quote of $5500 to put in a tankless heater which would free up that space and then square it off (not included with the tankless price).

I do agree my laundry room is overflowing with stuff and along with stuff I don’t use I have some things in there that should be elsewhere. I typically have 2 bins on the dryer. One for my daughters clothes and I don’t use paper towels (except for a few things- maybe 1 sheet a day) so I’m always going through my dish towels and hand towels and set them in the laundry to wash.

Since putting in the shelves in my laundry room, my vacuum is no longer wall mounted so that stuff just gets thrown in there.

One step forward 2 back.

Absolutely getting rid of stuff is important.

I have a huge kitchen, but some things are inefficient (super deep shelves that are only 10” wide under my island).

I’m not necessarily looking to be able to put more stuff in, just make it more functional to use it.

Whoever pointed out the added depth of the wall thank you, I didn’t know that would be the case.

Overall it sounds like my area COULD be better designed, but I should audit what I’m currently doing.

@KW- thanks! You commented on my master that I’m working on. My husband (who never suggests home upgrades) said “we should put a pocket door there” and I jumped on it. I’m still online shopping for ideas on that. And appreciate your input over there!

And while overall I suppose it’s not a tiny laundry room, I did shoot with wide angle - and having the door off makes a big difference. I’ve since hung it back on.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@hallet I completely agree it’s worth it considering we plan to be here so long- but (if you go look at my master bedroom post) you’ll see it’s like every small project snowballs into a huge one.

I’m in my mid 30s and I just want my house to finally look like a home. I know it’s a process but focusing is the trouble. I don’t get a lot of joy planning, shopping and decorating.

I’m assuming hiring someone to “do my master” by me showing them a picture of the overall look I want and telling them specifics like metal ball bearing slides, no footboard that comes up over the mattress, must have ceiling fan)- them setting up the painter, new floors, etc. is way out of my price range.

As a two income household (I got married at 30) I’m still struggling with the cost of things as my before marriage budget was target - and now we have more funds but I’m having a hard time swallowing restoration hardware prices. But I do value a better quality and am okay with spending, knowing the final price out the door.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Hi LKB! I’m not crystal clear on what’s in the wall between laundry & pantry - I did get the water tank in L wall on right in pantry. If it’s mostly dead space between laundry - pantry, can it be taken full or partially out to make one room of them? Then kitchen wall with 2 doors can be closed up & have one pocket door somewhere on the wall. Sounds like major work but I bet it’s easy as remods go & definitely worth cost for increased functionality & space. The storage in both rooms can be reworked to great advantage. We have 3 pocket doors in our home so I’m a huge fan of them In the right place. As for your deep narrow kitchen cabs, I think pull outs are the answer! For the small amount of width lost to pullout shelf sides, the gain functional space is huge. We added them to all of our lower kitchen cabs as well as to master bath double vanity. Those have a bottom pullout as well as upper side pullout as wide as the pipes allowed. This wasn‘t a cheap project as we didn’t go the DIY route but it’s been worth every cent for the gains in space & function. I bet pullouts could be wall mounted in your pantry too.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

What about a barn door (but in a style compatible with your other door) running from doorway to wall where your bulletin board is?

Laundry Barn doors · More Info

If this is a solution, consider getting another door on the right that's compatible.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I THINK the only thing between laundry and pantry is wall. I’m not sure. No electrical on either of those walls, and hvac would be weird there.

My mom just stopped by and we both agree the sizes of the rooms are adequate just poorly utilized.

It may be better to spend on better storage in each vs knocking down the wall.

I’m really going to try to envision how I see those spaces functioning. To see what my next steps are.

I’ve got a call out to the container store to see if I can configure an ELFA storage in the space- by my main concerns are how much they can hold, weight wise and all their inspiration photos - non of them IMO show a real pantry that’s how I like things. But I see the potential.

100%, I have no clue why people don’t do more drawers, and shallow drawers to boot. I found a steal of wire diy pullouts from Costco ($20 each). They fit perfectly in 10 cabinets, but were like 1/4” too big for our bathrooms, and 3” to small for the other cabinets (which is a whole other design dilemma).

I really feel the space is big enough, but just need to be utilized. I couldn’t find custom drawer organizers, so my mom made me some out of foam core and contact paper. We still need to do the other drawers in the kitchen.

I like having a place for everything and everything in its place and do great (my drawers have looked exactly the same since my mom made the organizers), it’s when I don’t have a system I struggle.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I went ahead and organized the laundry room, and took out anything that doesn’t belong.

The only thing we use the dowel in the laundry room is in the summer, my husband dries his camel pak water container and we hang 2 dish mats to dry. We use those 2/-3 times a week.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Alright - the guy who I called to come out and quote me, didn’t show up and only messaged me 2 hours after the agreed upon time.

While I still a pocket would make the laundry room function better, I think (not knowing the cost- only going by google estimate of $1,500-$3,000) I can put that money to better use.

While I was waiting for the contractor, I also submitted my layout to the container store for an ELFA pantry.

Cost (with current sale) is $2,600 installed or $17,000 where we install ourselves.

They didn’t give me as many slide out can racks as I wanted, but is an easy swap.

My main concern, is because ELFA are standard sizes, I lose 6” one one side and 10” on the other.

I know in theory that I’ll be able to store more because of the pull outs, but I’m wondering if i’m wasting the space?

Bang for the buck seems appropriate.

But I’m wondering if I’m better off getting custom cabinets and shelves?

Or is that just going to be astronomical in price?

I don’t want to waste any ones time, just an update.

Because the pocket door fell through (and I’m taking it as a sign), I’m going back to the main project being our bedroom.

I do think some kind of cubbies will end up in the laundry room, but I also think I can just remove the door and have the laundry area really nice looking. Time will tell.

It’s so hard not to get distracted with projects.

I just noticed my daughters bathroom mat is falling apart and I need to replace- which is making me wonder if I should paint, update that space too. (I know silly, but it’s really not as functional as I would like it.