SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cb__canada

Am I being too picky about wall mount faucet replacement?

cb__canada
3 years ago

I'm repairing a 1940's kitchen, including removal of galvanized supply pipes and replacement of a wall mount faucet.

We hired a younger plumber to do the work from a reputable company. He's been great with the other jobs he's done - very hard working etc. However, unfortunately he had difficulty placing an anchor in the wall for the new supply pipes to stabilize the replacement wall mount faucet. Instead of consulting with us about placement and options to deal with this, he shifted it lower (about 1 inch) to where he could find the best anchor and installed it there.

I noticed the change when he showed us the finished work - he seemed to think it was inconsequential until it was pointed out. While it's "only" an inch, it does impact the clearance to get dishes in and out of the sink etc and it's quite a small kitchen. We likely we would have considered having someone in to do reinforcement on the wall rather than have it lowered, if we'd had the option.

I'm torn about what to do. I assumed that requesting a replacement meant to put the faucet back where the original was, but perhaps that is an incorrect assumption? Eventually we'd re-do all of the tile work and will open the wall around the faucet again at that point, so it could stay as-is for the next few years, but it will impact use somewhat in the interim. I don't want to cause a huge issue by complaining about the plumber - as I said he's been great for the other stuff, however we did pay a good price with a reputable company for the work - he was not the cheapest quote or anything like that. Is it too picky to ask for it to be removed and reinstalled? Or, is it my fault - should I have been more specific about the faucet height to start out with?

Original placement:

New lower placement:

Comments (8)