SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
questioner72

Trim - Am I Being Too Picky

Questioner72
11 years ago

We're finishing a remodel, and I feel that I shouldn't be able to see any lines where the corners of the trim (there aren't necessarily gaps, just a line that I can see where it meets). My husband says that he can't see it, but my mom and I can see it. I'm also insisting that the knobs on the closets (no one in their right mind should buy bi-folds, my complaints came true about binding) were only primed; the contractor said that he'd have his man check it (that's not a solution as he already told me he painted them and that's done his job long enough to know how to do it). I was worried about less expensive trim, but it does look better than an old part of the house which has really bad brown cheap trim. Am I being too picky?

Background -
We're finishing up our remodel, what was supposed to be an estimated 4 month project turned into now a 7th month. We're not doing anything extravagant; we've lived in 840 sq. ft. for 20 years and now we'll have 1,365 sq. ft. My dreams have been dented somewhat as we've gone with less expensive products (but now we have space and can actually move around). Our $76,000 job increased to $86,000 (mainly by agreeing to update the ceilings in the old construction to get rid of the gaps between the ceiling with the new trusses, replacing the old wiring in the old part of the house, new paint, texturizing and flooring in the old part of the house, knocking out the lowered ceiling in the oppressive hallway, etc.); I've kept our budget down, and due to our savings and refinancing which adds a slight increase to our incredibly low house payment, we're not getting in over heads by spending too much money (I also tried to estimate what could truly cost big $ in the future if we went too cheap).

I've been fairly easy-going although firm in some areas; the contractor receives his money the morning after he requests it, and I've disagreed and stood my ground on some things- some products I've insisted on, others I've conceded. He seems to be a nice very quiet man with good construction skills, but he is pretty much a two man show. I did have to tell him that I don't like operating in a vacuum and that we haven't really communicated (his emails tend say just "ok"). Communication is not his thing. He's like my husband and doesn't want to have any sort of exchange - my husband gets to be the good guy BFF to them (I get to be the banker, decision maker, guard dog, etc.) It's been a pain in the neck to come up with things to find nice things to say about the job to even the vinegar with honey; my husband "loves" everything whereas I'm honest and will admit that there are looks and products that I'll live with but won't say I love. I've also had to tell the contractor that we needed to wait on a couple cosmetic change orders until I was sure no other problems would crop up as he certainly wasn't going to accept a smile and a wink for payment. My husband is tired of my analogy (and the contractor didn't look excited either) when I said that we could fix it ourselves, but that when he buys a new $50-70,000 pickup, he's not going to accept the truck with a big dent although he would get a dent in it anyway in the future. He also doesn't want to hear my words when I point out that once something is done it's too late, so I have to question things earlier. (I'm actually not this wordy when I'm speaking; I'm pretty much black and white.)

As I asked, am I being too picky?

Comments (20)