SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Looking for a New Netflix or Amazon Prime Series to Watch

sheilajoyce_gw
3 years ago

We have had some good suggestions in recent months from the Kitchen Table for TV series watching. We just finished The Restaurant. Loved The French Village. Can't recall other titles just now, but need some new ideas. Not necessarily foreign language, just good acting, writing and cinematography.

Comments (101)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I just recently discovered Counterpart on Prime too. It's really, really well done and engaging - if you like thrillers - with excellent acting and writing. There's some violence, but it doesn't seem gratuitous. IMDB.com has many, many rave reviews for it and I think it got something like 8+ stars.

I loved Unorthodox! And there's also a little documentary about the making of it that's fascinating.

Has anyone else enjoyed Tales From The Loop? We loved it. It's sci-fi, but not a space opera - truly speculative fiction with each episode like a chapter in a book with marvelous production, beauty and poignancy to the stories revolving around the various characters. I thought it was beautiful.

Loved After Life too - it made me an even bigger fan of Ricky Gervais.

Vanity Fair is another series I greatly enjoyed on Prime.

• User
    3 years ago

We're caught up with Wentworth on Netflix and now are watching Wanted on Netflix: both are Australian dramas and very good.

• Related Discussions

Any good "new" series programs to Watch?

Q

Comments (45)
    I'm not much of a tv series watcher like I used to be. Our son tells us that we should watch The Americans, because it is very (scarily) realistic in how other hostile countries infiltrate here. Maybe. I do enjoy Big Bang Theory and am looking forward to it's spin-off, Young Sheldon. And, I'm anxiously awaiting the next season of Designated Survivor, which I love and do watch every week. Other than that, I don't watch much tv these days, except for the morning and evening news, and some HGTV (mainly Property Brothers and Fixer Upper). Right now, DH and I and rewatching the tv miniseries, John Adams, which we own. It is so incredibly well-done . . . just fantastic!
    ...See More

Netflix/prime recommendations

Q

Comments (64)
    Late to the discussion as usual... My sister was recently raving about Mrs. Maizel to me, but I have yet to check it out. I have recently discovered Documentary Now! on Netflix & really enjoy its escapist silly-ness. It's from a couple of years ago & I don't know how I missed it, but there is truly such a wealth of good entertainment nowadays, I don't know how anyone can keep up. Helen Mirren introduces every episode, Bill Hader & Fred Armisen star & executive producer is Lorne Michaels. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4677934/ I prefer comedy to drama, so I really don't follow the dark & sober stuff, tho hubby does.
    ...See More

Amazon raising price for Prime.

Q

Comments (49)
    love Amazon Prime., have had it for years. all the kids are on the account so it gets used often, 3-5 per week. they buy their college books on there and then return them. i use Amazon Music, Photo storage, videos and books. order ink for printer on a Sunday night after 6:00 pm and it was on our front step by monday morning!! what's not to love!! DD's friend is getting married. she set up an Amazon wish list (wedding shower items)., DD ordered gift and was sent right to house, easy peasy, no shipping costs!! they now have a warehouse in our area, so everything gets here quickly, sometimes under the 2 day shipping!!
    ...See More

Started watching a new series

Q

Comments (41)
    Loved Big Little Lies, and the book was very good too. The first movie series was very close to the book, so I wonder how the second series will go. I’m in the middle of part two of Mrs Maisel. I love it, although some haven’t enjoyed the second part as much as the first, I find it to be full of surprises and beautiful costuming. And I like Tony Shalhoub in anything he has played in so there is that.
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I just finished watching Rectify which was on from 2013-2016. It was magnificent, and the lead actor, Aden Young, was mesmerizing to watch. He is Australian, and I had never seen him in anything before. I am in awe of writers who can create such stories.

On the other hand, I also just finished Bridgerton, and other than the eye candy of Regé-Jean Page, I found it boring, predictable, and shallow. I can't believe it is getting relatively good reviews.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

new ones have been added to "Cobra Kia". I've ben watching " A Man with a plan" its a series and pretty good. Kind of like Tool time. Virgin River is good also. A new season started last month. Is Grace & Frankie coming back in Jan?

• nannygoat18
    3 years ago

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b, since I loved Unorthodox, I will give Counterpart a shot although it's quite a deviation from our usual fare.

Reviews say that it wrapped up in two seasons. leaving it open for a third with another network. Since I loathe non-endings, do you think it would be disappointing?

I envy those who have not yet watched "The Queen's Gambit" or "Rectify." Add "Unbelievable" to the list. For those who have Hulu, "Mrs. America" is spell-binding. Even though I lived through that period, it enabled me to experience it through a very different lens.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm only on the 3rd episode of Counterpart - it is definitely more dark and violent than my usual fare.

Almost forgot to add that I enjoyed The Politician as well. It's operatic - and Bette Midler's in it 😊

• MiMi
    3 years ago

For those who have Hulu I really enjoyed The Tomorrow Man with Blythe Danner and John Lithgow.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I'm like people here who aren't as crazy about Schitt'sCreek as I am. Tonight we watched Bridgerton and I didn't like it and won't continue. I know others love it. To each his own , I guess.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

I have found the offerings on Netflix to be quite lacking recently and I find much more on Amazon Prime.

I tried Shitts Creek for two good tries but could never get into it.

The theme of serial killers, crime and the paranormal seem to dominate so many of the offerings. Sometimes you get them all in one package. That can be intriguing but enough is enough!

It was excited to catch Bridgerton but lost interest in it and turned it off.

I am so tired of watching stuff! Sure many are.

Hubs and I had never watched Breaking Bad, so we made it our binge watch and have been enjoying it. Somewhat unrealistic that the characters can be so resilient but makes for good entertainment anyway.

I am waiting for Shamless new season to be finished airing so that I can just binge it. I got caught up in that and have enjoyed it.

The Americans was good. I would like to see more of those folks.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

Netflix’s “Death to 2020” offers a comedic retrospective of the year we’re glad to have in the rear view mirror.

• chisue
    3 years ago

We loved "Counterpart" and would have watched a third season. I can see why it was dropped, though, as it is quite 'dark'. When I see the lead actor in the insurance commercials I can't help but think about *wasted talent*. At least he's employed!

We're not enjoying Season Two of "The Mill" as much as the first season, but will persevere. (It's still good, just not *as* good.)

• nannygoat18
    3 years ago

I appreciate the "Counterpart" feedback. Will save for post-pandemic times.

"Halt and Catch Fire", the "best show that nobody watched", captured the verisimilitude of the computer age with a stellar cast and plot. Every episode is to be savored and the casting and plot are flawless.

Another Schitt's Creek drop out here. 😟

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

J.K.Simmons (the lead in Counterpart) was in Palm Springs, which came out this year. I saw him in that movie and those commercials and before I saw this series and I am now very impressed at the talent he has.

Loved Schitt's Creek because I love Catherine O'Hara - she's a comic genius, IMO. I found it before it blew up. Anything with Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara in it is my cup of tea, for sure. Anybody else a fan of A Mighty Wind and the other Chris Guest films?

The rest of the cast was fantastic too. It got a bit mushy towards the end, tho.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

'You' is a popular show on Netflix. It's a psychological thriller and I'm going to check it out this afternoon.

ETA: Not for me. It's stupid.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I watched YOU a year ago and loved it. My son just watched it and liked it too.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

We loved Schitt's Creek, but I think we started it 3 times before we got hooked. We're enjoying Harlen Cobin's Stranger right now. My DH keeps saying "are we supposed to know what is going on?" I assure him that we're not and we're good for another episode...

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I tried 'Death to 2020' but think I am still suffering PTSD from it...too early for me to be able to laugh at it. Maybe in 5 years.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Lily, Really??? The guy narrating his obsession for the woman? In that case, I'll have to try it again.

• User
    3 years ago

We loved "You". It reminded us a bit of Dexter and they even referenced that in the show. Schitts Creek took me two tries as well. I never really gave it a good chance when it first started airing on tv. Then a friend near DC told me she loved it so I thought, "well, if an American can love a Canadian made tv show, I'll have to try again" and was sad when it ended. :)

• nannygoat18
    3 years ago

@Olychick, I found it profoundly unfunny and stopped watching after a few minutes. It just made me realize how much I want to forget☹️

• palisades_
    3 years ago

We plan to watch Anna Karenina (1997) on Amazon, the movie is based on Leo Tolstoy's novel in 19th-century Russia. I’m going to read the novel too.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Jasdip...Give 'You' a chance. It IS a lot like Dexter. Grim but kinda funny. It's like Schitt's. It grows on you. I think he's cute.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I didn't like You or Schitt's Creek.

• AbbyJoy
    3 years ago

Ooh, I thought of another - the Leftovers on HBO. 3 seasons. It's a drama focused on the family members who are left after an unexplained event that caused 2% of world's population to suddenly vanish. It can be deep, sometimes dark and sad, surprising, and also hopeful and funny. Great actors - Justin Theroux (yum), Carrie Coon, Regina King, and characters you care about. I loved it.

ETA, from a Georgian up late watching Election returns :-)

• fran1523
    3 years ago

Im liking Unbelievable on Netflix. Kims Convenience is light and frothy 20 mine show also on Netflix. Never Have I Ever was also a good coming of age series about an American Indian girl Agree with a lot of other choices: schists creek, Unorthodox, Qkueen's Gambit,

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Here's the list of what's new to Netflix in January and what's going away.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-movies-shows-netflix-january-2021_l_5fe1003bc5b6a7df6666ff15

• JoanMN
    3 years ago

Has anyone mentioned "Godless" on Netflix? I have watched it twice, I loved it so much. Absolutely wonderful show, imo.

• lily316
    3 years ago

When I get bored or need my mood improved, I have begun watching Schitts Creek again. Even funnier the second time around.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Oh man - I'm at the end of season 1 of Counterpart and I must report it's so dang bloody! But I so want to know what happens. The plot is terrific.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

Man with a plan is funny, its good series

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Speaking of Man With A Plan, with Matt LeBlanc, I believe his best work was in Episodes. He plays himself. And not a good version of himself.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Has anyone mentioned. Bridgerton? It’s great! Worth watching just to see The Duke of Hastings with his shirt off. it’s really very entertaining and not only for the hunky Duke.

• Alisande
    3 years ago

I found out recently that Amazon Prime has all five seasons of Eureka, a fairly light sci-fi series. I started watching it years ago, when I first had Netflix, and enjoyed it. I stopped watching when I took a hiatus from Netflix, but I have no idea how far I was into the series. Maybe I'll start with Season 3, and see how that goes.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Try "Nobody From Nowhere", an unfortunate title translation from the French for this movie playing on Amazon Prime. (The French title was inexact, too.) It's French, so be *patient*. We loved it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I'm thinking about languages today, sorry.

"Un Illustre Inconnu" literally would be A Notable Unknown Man (a notable male stranger or simply unknown person if used as a generality)

Literal translations are often not used, for whatever reasons.

A French TV show I like is called "Spiral" in English. In French, it's "Engrenages" which means gears. Screws have spirals, gears have teeth. It doesn't matter.

• ghoghunter
    3 years ago

On Netflix I enjoyed The Crown, Bodyguard, and Travelers. My fav of all time is on Prime..Midsomer murders! I also love Vera and Shetland!

• Alisande
    3 years ago

Ghoghunter, I loved Midsomer Murders when I watched about half of it on Netflix years ago. Thanks for reminding me it's on Prime!

• chisue
    3 years ago

We'll sample the new version of "All Creatures, Great & Small" this week. I'm afraid it may be too 'Hallmark', but then, maybe we wouldn't enjoy the original as much today as we did when it was new fifty years ago.

• lisaam
    3 years ago

Sushipup thanks for that list . I'm happy to see that there will be a 4th season of the French series, "Call My Agent". The first 3 were lots of fun and an opportunity to practice my weak french (subtitles).

• Alisande
    3 years ago

I finished Season 2 of Virgin River last night. I liked it, and some of you might like it too, but the show is definitely soap-opera-ish, and it can be frustrating when some of the characters do stupid things and the plot pushes the bounds of reality. Still, I found it good escape watching, and hope they produce a Season 3.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Because of how Virgin River ended, I am sure there will be a third season. My daughter and I were discussing this yesterday...how soap opera-ish it is. So Hallmark like movie and I never watch them. I finished it and she had a few more to watch but we both think it's kinda stupid but at least it takes one's mind off awful events happening in real life. Scenery is outstanding, so is the male lead.

• Alisande
    3 years ago

Lily, sometimes I pause the scenery shots so I can drink it all in. So far I haven't done that with closeups of the male lead, but I'm not ruling it out. :-)

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

We just finished watching La Révolution on Netflix (French with English subtitles). It's a reimagining of the French Revolution with undead nobles.

• isitdoneyet
    3 years ago

Normal People on Hulu was so good both my daughter and I loved it. Also enjoyed The Duchess, The Twelve, and Criminal, on Netflix.

• AbbyJoy
    3 years ago

I admit watching good TV is one of my favorite hobbies, and I look forward to checking out these recommendations. I second Episodes with Matt Lablanc. I also loved Enlightened on HBO with Laura Dern, quirky character and heartwarming.

I also enjoyed Jimmy Carter Rock n Roll President on Netflix (I'm a Georgian) and the documentary Crip Camp, a great story about birth of disability rights movement.

• User
    3 years ago

We watched all three seasons of Yellowstone this past weekend. It stars Kevin Costner as a rancher who ruthlessly fights to keep investors from taking his land. A LOT of violence but it's really good. Normally not my cuppa tea but I now can't wait for season 4.

ETA: On Amazon. :)

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Debby, I've got some FB friends who adore that show. I tried watching the first episode but couldn't get into it. I must try again.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Just an FYI, but here in the states, you have to pay to view Yellowstone, even with Amazon Prime.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Am I the only person who didn't like Bridgerton after one episode? I feel like I am.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

No you’re not. I and several friends agree it’s a very poor wanna be of PBS. I have no issue with the historically inaccuracy of diverse cast...I get and approve of that slant. It’s just a yawner, and disappointingly not sexy. Too little tension, too get on on quick. Just silly, IMO. .i did watch about 5 episodes. So disappointed. .

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!