SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Layout for remodeled 'great' room: sectional or sofas?

smalloldhouse_gw
3 years ago

We're mid-reno and I'm probably overdue to order new furniture. Since we have only one main living space, we need seating that can look good but also withstand big slouchy tween/teenage boys. The overall living/dining space is 20x26 and I need to decide whether to do a sectional or two parallel couches with some swivel chairs in the mix. Floor plan is below.

We've had 2 parallel couches for the past few years and it works very well for our family. So well that if we did a sectional I'd want it to be U-shaped so that movie/game nights can continue to have each kid sprawling on his respective side.

One other priority - either tight-back style or back seat cushions that won't get destroyed by aforementioned boys. It's nearly impossible to find a tight back sectional. So far I've been looking at the Crate & Barrel Axis II, which seems to get good reviews for durability, but am heading out to Room & Board today which has more tight back models. Any recommendations for the overall layout and/or specific ideas for sofas or a sectional would be very appreciated!

Comments (8)