SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deserthawk_gw

cutting tile at a very small angle for unparallel walls

deserthawk
3 years ago

I've almost finished tiling my family room.

Recognizing that my walls were a bit less than straight, I simply "declared" a spot near the center of one wall and in front of a stud to be correct, and worked from there. But when I got to the last full tile of the opposite wall . . .

I'm not sure it's clear from the picture, but the base of my fireplace isn't parallel to the other wall . . .

Going from the right, the gap increases about 3/8" per two foot tile, or about 1.5%, or about half a degree deviance . . With quarter inch gaps between tiles, this means that if I cut straight when narrowing the tile, the change in the gap will be more than the width of my gaps.

I want to run the tiles through my wetsaw at a very slight angle. While the obvious solution is to draw the line on the tile hand feed it, my hands are far from the steadiest, and I would almost certainly have a visibly unstraight edge.

My thinking is to use a guide so that the edge of the guide, rather than the tile, runs along the guide of the saw. Is there such a thing I can buy? It would seem to me that it would be needed fairly often.

In tha alternative, my thinking is a piece of wood with perhaps a 135 degree angle at the first end to butt the tile against, and an adjusting screw to hold the position.

So in this crude drawing, the tile is the green the wooden tool is blue, the adjusting screw to control angle red (and exaggerated), and it will move to the right into the black sawblade.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a better way to do this?

thanks

Comment