SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_139563281

Buyer (investor) requested an appraisal three days before closing

Seller in Texas
3 years ago

Our realtor said:

"If this were a "real" appraiser, he would have been hired earlier in the process. I think it has something to do with their flipping process."

Our house has foundation issues, which were thoroughly detailed in the listing and are obvious to the naked eye in the cracks in the drywall. They entered the contract, accepting the house "As-Is," with full knowledge of the foundation problems. They offered $170k, we asked for $175k. They came back with $172,500 and we agreed. Two days later, they completed an inspection then said they wanted to lower their offer back to the original offer of $170k. We accepted.

Then yesterday at 9:45am we received a request for an appraisal for noon that same day. It was Sunday morning and they gave us less than three hours notice. We are supposed to close on Wednesday - is it normal to schedule an appraisal just three days before closing? And with so little notice?

We are now concerned that they plan to lower their offer even more as a negotiating tactic. I feel like they are being pretty slimy with the timing of all this and am not inclined to agree to any more changes, even if it means we lose out on this buyer and have to go through the whole process again.

Hoping to gather some insight from more experienced home buyers/sellers. This is my first time selling a home.

Comments (17)