SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

Buyers who don't go away after closing

mpagmom (SW Ohio)
10 years ago

Have any of you run into this before?

Throughout the whole process the buyers of our home were difficult. Their agent complained about them, our agent complained about them, and we did everything we could to appease them. My husband really wanted the sale to go through.

After the sale they kept contacting our agent asking for things like receipts for appliances and details about landscaping. I told her I was going to send them something, but then I got the flu and forgot all about it. A few weeks later they sent her a 6-page letter complaining about the condition of the house and making several demands. I haven't received the letter yet, but one highlight is a demand for over $2000 for cleaning. Examples of the "dirt" they complained about were dirty toilets, light switch plates, and inside the heating ducts. The house had been vacant for months and was virtually empty when they looked at it (twice). It was in essentially the same condition at closing. I did not take great pains to clean it (it was still clean from being on the market because no one lived there), but I did run the vacuum cleaner. They did not do a walk-through before closing (they lived out of state), but I did a video walk-through.

They are also demanding detailed instructions about the landscaping, outdoor lighting system, water softener, water filtration system, security system, etc. Most of these were installed before we purchased the property, and I left all the manuals I had. I told them all I knew about the security system (which we never used) before closing in response to one of their many requests. I know the water softenerer, water filter, and landscape lighting have the name and number of the vendors on them, so they could obviously call for information.

The house had a water feature, and they claim all the water leaks out of it. I know it worked fine when we lived there. They also claim the hot water heater and air conditioner don't work. They are complaining about the home warranty they asked for and we paid for.

They are complaining that the sump pump area is dry. I'm not an expert, but I would think that's a good thing. We disclosed before the sale that the sump pump failed once 6 years ago, and that it only runs every 2 or 3 years or so. Their home inspector checked that it was working.

And yes, they had a very thorough home inspection. They tested for radon, even though there was a radon mitigation system. We complied with every repair request, even though some were silly. One request was to seal the sump pump area with silicone (it is part of the radon mitigation system), and it was their inspector who unsealed it in the first place.

OK, I'm just venting now. But seriously, what are reasonable expectations for cleanliness and documentation when purchasing a home? I've sold four homes now, and in two cases the buyers raved afterward about the condition of the house.

Comments (57)