SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Christmas Baking, first edition: Bagel Basket for neighbors

annie1992
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I live right across the street from a B&B, run by 3 very nice ladies. Two are sisters, one is a chef who does all the cooking for the patrons and runs a catering business. She always sends over plates of goodies while I struggle to think of something small to do in return. This year I found a winner: bagels! They tend to be time consuming and somewhat tedious and few people bake their own, so I was hopeful. I made whole wheat bagels, Asiago cheese bagels and some Everything bagels, packaged them with a jar of my homemade Habanero Gold and crossed my fingers.

When I set the container down the chef peeked inside and exclaimed "Homemade bagels? Really? You made homemade BAGELS? I never make bagels, they're too much work." I smiled, I finally found something she doesn't make herself.

Double bonus, we had chicken sandwiches for supper on homemade bagels, I sure didn't give all of them away!

Does anyone else exchange small gifts with favorite neighbors, or is this a nearly obsolete and probably outdated custom? I remember Grandma always made banana bread for the mailman, cookies for the bus drivers, pound cake for some neighbors, jars of jam or pickles for others, plates were going back and forth between houses with everyone offering their special peanut brittle or fudge or cookies. Plates were never returned empty, it was a rule, LOL.

Annie

Comments (20)