SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grrrrabbit

Need advice on proposed shower leak repair

D V
3 years ago

I have a 2nd floor master bath remodel going on and after everything was installed (tile shower floor, quartz walls, linear drain, shower fixtures, etc.), the shower was turned on and I ended up with a small waterfall in my downstairs kitchen. Long story short, we had a major clog that sent water back up the shower pipe and we discovered the contractors installed the wrong drain type and water was pushing out of the drain’s weep holes that were located underneath the Kerdi membrane. Obviously our GC has been reluctant to tear everything out to install the proper drain. His solution was to remove the tile around the linear drain, replace the drain system, and then re-tile. Which, in theory I think could have worked if they had left the Kerdi membrane in-tact. Instead, they removed the membrane with the tiles - There is no Kerdi membrane that was left sticking out from under the quartz wall, nor the tiles that were left in place. They then decided to push a new section of Kerdi up as far as they could behind the quartz and under the tile (which I don’t know how they could have done), to try to create as much of an “overlap” as possible (IF any overlap happened, it would be way less than the required 2”) and stuff a bunch of Kerdi-fix in the openings - My GC is telling me that this is fine and will waterproof the shower. Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable solution? From everything I’ve read about Kerdi-fix - It in itself is not waterproof - It’s an adhesive to bond waterproof Kerdi membranes together. So if there was no overlap and just butting up against the 2 pieces of Kerdi, then stuffing Kerdi-fix into the opening isn’t going to waterproof the area? Is that right or am I missing something.

Thank you in advance - I’m at my wits end.

Comments (7)