SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azlb

A/C Freon Leak - Repair Advice needed

azlb
15 years ago

We purchased our home a little over 2 years ago and it seems we have an ongoing issue with a freon leak. The first technition that came out was under our home warranty and just recharged the unit without explaining what was wrong. This summer season started and the a/c was blowing hot air again. A new technition came out (no more home warranty) and explained that there was a freon leak. He placed some sealant and recharged ($400). 1.5 months later same problem blowing hot air.

Second technition came back out and took apart the condenser unit and used a gauge to show me that the accumulator is leaking freon, he suspects that it is rusted out.

House specs: 1,500 sqft single story built 1997

Central heat/air with a split unit compressor outside and blower in the roof

Goodman unit CPKE42-1B 3.5 tons 10 SEER

Second technition contacted me today and told me that he had tracked down a new accumulator and we could get it installed for $1,300. He also said that he found the exact same model of condenser and it would be $2,700 installed.

My question is whether this is going to solve our problem and either way whether it would be smarted to just change out the whole system for a new one? I have no idea what a new one would cost but financially we are very tight right now. We live in AZ so a/c is very important.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting