SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zachr5

Vinyl plank flooring noise

zachr5
3 years ago

So we just bought a house that a cheap vinyl plank floor installed over a concrete subfloor. It was "traffic master" brand, which appears to be Home Depot's low end rigid core vinyl plank product. When walking on the floor, it sounds like it "crackles" or like you're walking on plastic. It's the worst in the morning. The planks were installed directly on the concrete. Now, I know there are parts of the subfloor that aren't perfectly flat. Oddly enough, the floor doesn't really crackle as much in those areas as the areas that seem to be flat. There was no vapor barrier under the planks. We pulled it up in the kitchen and went back with a different product that seems to be a better product. After a day I don't hear the same noise with the new product. I'd like to do the rest of the house in the same product, but I'm concerned that the noise will still be there. Any idea what causes the noise? Is it the cheap product? The subfloor? Even though it's all through the whole house that the noise is an issue (even where it's "flat"). Something else? Any insight would be appreciated, as I don't have flooring experience.

Comments (6)