SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilceeja

Living room updates

lilceeja
3 years ago

In the process of redoing my living room. In the photo still waiting for my coffee table, which will be round wood top with white bottom. Once that is in I can add some pops of color as decor. Just got new blinds so wondering if I should also get drapes ? Also I put in a console table in the back of the couch. What should I put on the table ? Do I need something high in center or on each end ? any ideas are appreciated !

Comments (114)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"Neutral" has a temperature. There are warm and there are COOL. Mixing both warm and cool takes quite a bit of skill. Giving the room a more obvious color, may help. And that color should harmonize with the UN changeable sofa. Such as I just posted above. You are hung up on WOOD. Start with the SOFT elements. Other than the dead white of that little end table, which is glaring and suits ............nothing, really. It doesn't work. Paint it. : )

TEMPERATURE AND COLOR CONSIDERED..................

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ok got it. What color should I paint end table? I had sanded it so it has a more distressed look in person. I do like that rug. It looks a little similar to one I have but brighter.

• Related Discussions

Living room updates for indecisive maximalist

Q

Comments (8)
    Sweet doggy. :) A few suggestions ... not necessarily these exact ones, as I don’t know budget and sizes needed, but just to show as ideas for you to search: Live edge tables — https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/union-rustic-mazelina-coffee-table-w001115136.html https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/foundry-select-nauvoo-coffee-table-w000897820.html https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/union-rustic-tindle-coffee-table-unrt1302.html . Woven styles — https://www.jossandmain.com/furniture/pdp/venetta-coffee-table-j000338554.html?piid=195560686 . A bit of an MCM feel, this comes in three color choices — https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/masaya-co-manzanillo-coffee-table-ndac1009.html?piid= . This might feel too clunky, but love it with boho: https://www.westelm.com/products/carved-wood-coffee-table-g414/?pkey=ccoffee-tables&isx=0.0.6529 . Tiered: https://www.worldmarket.com/product/wood+and+metal+multi+level+coffee+table.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn . One more: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/mercer41-enzo-frame-coffee-table-w001418525.html?piid=
    ...See More

Living Room Update- Need Guidance/Direction

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you so much for your response! Yes, fortunately, my husband is extremely crafty and can handle the stonework. I have included a photo of the space (before we painted the wall) so you can see the overall layout of the room. I appreciate the idea of putting the TV over where the bar is located, but how would you layout the furniture? We have two large sofas and two reclining chairs. Yes, we are on the same page as far as laying a tile over the existing marble. Thanks again, and I look forward to more suggestions!
    ...See More

Living room update/upgrade

Q

Comments (3)
    Need a view from the piano of the rest of the room -- can't really address one wall in a vacuum. Do you need an entry table zone, or just decor? Could have a floor lamp or a console with a table lamp on top, or a large plant, or a bench with shoe storage underneath, or...
    ...See More

living room update

Q

Comments (11)
    I have the same question as tracefloyd - how many people do you need to seat in the living room on a regular basis? Could you use one of the loveseats in the dining area against the wall for seating? (you'd want to add taller legs) The clock could then go above the loveseat in the dining room. I agree with tracefloyd about the rest
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Paint it black. Black, in this case is NOT a color, and NOT a wood. : ) You must go rug shopping, We can't guarantee anything online. Nor can you. My pic is to illustrate HARMONY in your palette.

Best at this point? Get a local interior designer. At least on a consultation basis : )

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ugh it was black before. The 2 rug pics I sent before were from a quick interior design consult I had. They were pricey so I tried to find something similar hence the one I currently have. Will keep looking.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I see what you mean with end table. Could I do a dark brown to match other accents I have ?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

You don't NEED to match it. You don't WANT to match it. lol...should have left it black. All below are pottery barn. Get the right rug FIRST

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

THIS IS why........... I'VE RUN OUT OF WAYS TO SAY IT. FIX THE RUG ISSUE, AND THE WHITE SIDE TABLE.. The rug should!!!! BE THE SPLURGE.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Jan, I was reading too. Is this something like what you mean?

Transitional Rectangle Area Rug, Santa Cruz Collection, Khaki, 8'x10' · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

HATE TO SAY..... But at 262.00 for an 8 x 10? Is to buy JUNKOLA.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok those rugs are beautiful will look in to them. Are you saying to change curtains to blue too ? I just did the oatmeal.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I want to barge in - if you bought changed upholstery to a color you like, and samples can make easy color pick -- added color lamps.

Would beige/oatmeal work? and do you like them now they're home...

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You mean change couch ? Trying to avoid

that.

I like the Oatmeal curtains. they’re in he photo.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

STILL POTTERY BARN ...........

• everdebz
    3 years ago

No offense, but is Jan's rug alot like the rug in your initial post?

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You mean the oriental I had with dark blue or new one I got with gray and beige?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

It's the rug in this thread that shows first thing. Curious if you still have it...

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yea it was said it was too traditional and clashing with couch. I still have it. Was going to donate it tomorrow haha.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I shall repeat. ( KILL M E ) FIND A RUG YOU REALLY LIKE THAT complements THE SOFA YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO CHANGE.

What you can not do, is "skip" all over the room willy nilly. the couch and rug are the CORE.

Harmony..... and there are many ways to harmony. this is but ONE

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree but I don’t have the eye clearly. I like the rug I just got and thought it matched. So kinda concerned if I get something else will be the same issue. My sofa is really difficult apparently !!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Bev showed blue curtains, and she didn't then, or since [that I know of] say negative about what you had. It's so common for confusion, so don't worry. Don't donate either ! ;)

Check her post offering online services, and I believe you and she can work it out.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Jan was I think explaining that neutrals and wood stains are one grouping. You might be stuck in low gear on which wood goes with which...

The huge variety of accent colors are another grouping, and you might benefit by choosing an obvious color, and repeat that, and I for one mentioned it a few times: look into colorful chalk paint on console, or the "plain white." I posted blue lamps, and others posted too.

Is this correct, that there was blue in first rug, pillows, and light blue bowl on dinette, etc...? Why unsure? I think this is hard, and no one wants it to become harder.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Hard to believe, here's one more post. Instead of new things, what about upholstering current ottoman? a fabric that works with the good color you have -- seems to be blue, and try medium blue also.

You saved apricot peach photo. Maybe this type of fabric in your color.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Maybe the helpers are confused. Maybe you are confused ? You have to know what you truly want, and find a way to get what you want, WITHIN what is possible. Way back........you posted two photos you like. You like WHAT? The coffee table wood tone? The light" The plain rug? The paint on the walls? Or its just that you like a light filled room with very LIGHT things in that room?

We have yet to see your space in daylight. On the monitor? Your walls take on almost a greenish hue. It seems ALL you are after is what "color" a wood piece ( tv console ) and a coffee table should be..

You like these...........................why? YOUR ROOM IN THE MIDDLE

THEN............. APPARENTLY......... You also saved this pic below. It has nothing in common, with the two ispo's you like just above. Other that two "brown" couches See why we're confused? Why you are confused?

Open the darn blinds. Take a pic in FULL daylight. Take a couch cushion into light, and take a close up picture. Do you see what those first two rooms have that you do not?

They have light, and light UPHOLSTERY. The rugs, while plain, harmonize with that upholstery. If you want the solid plainer feel in a rug? Why are you adding one atop? because it feels "boring" t feels that way, because you don't have harmony, and you don't have the additional texture of a wood table topping that plain rug........and the room is not flooded with light, either.

My point here, is help the helpers, to help YOU. Put a dollar amount to what you can spend. Be honest....the blinds will close off light all the time? Or they won't? When you take the picture? Take the darn white table, OUT OF THE SHOT, please. And add more, from the entry, that capture the art over the sofa.

Personally, the helpers are getting as lost in the woods as the CLIENT. I will say just one thing: )

Bright white anything does not work with the sectional you have, It makes it feel like mud. You work WITH it, or it "goes". The plainer the rug with your sectional? the more difficult your task.

Or..... YOU GET THE "FARM" FEEL. which implies casual at a single glance. Within what is POSSIBLE

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/union-rustic-nyles-solid-wood-frame-coffee-table-w004124834.html?piid=

Safavieh Siobhan End Table, Black · More Info

and so it goes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everdebz- that photo in my ideabook must be yearssss old. Looks like a couch I had back in the day. So disregard that ! I am having a hard time finding an accent color. I thought different shades of gray and browns could be accents. maybe replacing my 3 wall pictures for something more colorful? Will post a photo.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

SCROLL UP

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok thank you. I have attached a photo of the art. My room does not get good natural light and today it’s cloudy so not getting anything. I think the attached rug is similar to what you posted before Jan right ? Would this work ? I just don’t want to spend $1k on a rug and not like it plus have my cats destroy it. it’s difficult to return a rug.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Jan is awesome help. Don’t have much advice. Gonna leave it between you guys. But keep at it. It’ll look awesome so soon!! Don’t get burnt out

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Area Rug tip, when buying one........Always buy the smallest area rug to feel and see the colors in your room. If the small area rug works, return and buy larger rug :-)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

What can't we SEEEEEEE? GIVE on the rug and you don't like stripes. Stripes are all over the marketplace, low to exhorbitant. Same with fabric., because you don't have enough money for the look you want.. They all look like ......cheezy. And at a couple hundred buck? They are just that.

And you are stuck with the sofa.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan Moyer - I like the rugs you posted except the striped one. i will wait until I get my remaining furniture to see for rug. I also can’t buy tufted wool rugs. I have 2 cats that will destroy it. they destroyed my expensive pottery barn rug last time so have been doing cheap viscose rugs ever since. I don’t think they look cheesy.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And where do I find that pillow ?

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s updated photo with black end table. does that look any better? still in search for rug.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Yes the black table looks much better!

what is throwing me, and everyone.. - five different color palettes. Please take a picture with the blind up in full DAYLIGHT. Do it with lamps on, and lamps off. Your walls look cold, the sisal looks yelowy warm, the curtains look "taupey pink. ...or pinky taupe. The sage area rug atop the sisal isn't helping matters either.

There have been a hundred rug selections suggested. Given the UN changeable items? That needs to be your start point. You need to realize, you don't need to be madly in love with it to LOVE your space on whole. You are in a battle with .....yourself. And the sectional. and imposing too many restrictions on that selection of a rug for direction. Sorry for the truth here.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok great ! I don’t get natural light really. Will try and take a better one tomorrow if it’s sunny. Maybe it’s the picture ? the rug is ivory. I don’t see any yellow. The one on top is gray with beige. The curtains are the exact ones you recommended - oatmeal linen from pottery barn. Definitely no pink.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I like it now! The new things if I can spot them: tv unit, linen lamps, and nicely matching curtains. Your vases with something natural and soft. And coffee table washed? and matching. And black table which... looks 'sharp' like black does.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Your rug - hey they can wear out with kids - seems fine, and layered casually. Baskets. :)

Did you keep the soft blue bowl on the table?

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yup! And added 2 plants with some green for color. Yea still have the blue bowl and I took down the shelves there since wood was clashing. Put up frames instead. Think I need to add a mirror or something with gallery wall over table. Feels a lil small or missing something.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

You've been working, or I should say that I see a gathering of the energy with changes?

I don't think it's missing something, but it might seem so because the nearby 'set' is larger [over tv] ?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Then turn off those recessed ! : ) Something is making stiff look weird on my very accurate monitor !? try it. Ivory and gray............can be tough.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe it’s the bulb in lamp next to curtains. Those shades are same color but coming brighter and cooler. Will have to switch.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Could be. Honestly? Taupe is just a very tough color. Not as warm as oatmeal, cooler than beige. It's a never never land color. ....and almost always will read a bit....."I have some pink in me" : ))

I think the trouble is part lighting, part wall color. The gray just seems very forced with the sectional.

YOU HAVE TO force THE PALETTE A RUG FROM WAYFAIR......CUT AND PASTE TO A JPEG. UNDER 300 $ IN 8 X 10

I beg you please click................for better color accuracy than above

https://www.wayfair.com/Greyleigh%E2%84%A2-Teen--Fiscus-GrayTaupe-Rug-HSZM6544-L167-K~GRYL5433.html?refid=GX444280958587-GRYL5433_33393778&device=c&ptid=538070339234&network=g&targetid=aud-872151168862:pla-538070339234&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=47708693&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=33393778&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6t6ABhDMARIsAONIYyzVXC3fRB_3BpFtPxrBJQR-xlVESSIkdeXCHRLi17Y5mkgq22Ib6vEaApB-EALw_wcB&piid=33393779

Now, see the difference So.. That bold connection via rug is the only answer. Order a small, easy to return.

Other than that, I can't help.

Another below, but " you don't like stripes...............

Safavieh Natura NAT101A 9'x12' Beige Rug · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/product/129449003-safavieh-natura-nat101a-beige-rug-9x-12-scandinavian-area-rugs

OR

you change wall color. Taupe well done below, AND ALSO SEE THE WALLS ARE NOT FIGHTING : )

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the help! What’s taupe in my room ?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

The SOFA .ARE YOU LOOKING??

LOL........ I AM OUT. CAN'T HELP. .

I Can only see what I see. Look at the this pic..............

Cal your sofa color whatever you like.. It's not working with your walls or rug on this monitor. At all. Maybe it works in person, I can't tell, I'm not there.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

The problem in this room is that it is all neutral. An all neutral room is very difficult to achieve well, since there's not much contrast, and if the neutrals are from different color families, they clash. I would suggest using more saturated colors in something--rug, pillows, wall color, accessories--to focus the eye away from the clashing neutrals. You can also add organic items like green plants to liven up the space. Or add some architectural interest like paneling or beams.

Here are some neutral rooms done beautifully:

Pinehurst Living Room · More Info

Farmhouse Restoration · More Info

Beach Style Living Room · More Info

Livingroom Design · More Info

Rustic Eclectic Farmhouse · More Info

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

Manheim Farmhouse · More Info

Rustic Eclectic Farmhouse · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Beach Style Living Room · More Info

Before I went to design school I learned to study a room that I liked and figure out just why I liked it. What elements in the room appealed to me? Why? How were they arranged? What colors and patterns were evident? How could I achieve that look? You needn't spend an inordinate amount of money, you just have to select and spend wisely. Use a sample board--get small samples of materials before you purchase and see how everything looks together. Put the samples in the room with the lighting and squint to get the feel (I am not kidding about squinting!) So instead of ordering an 8 x 10 rug, get the 2 x 3 sample first and see if it works with what you have. If it does, great. If not, either try another rug or change what you have. Or go to the rug store with all your samples. Never go shopping without all your samples in hand.

Putting together a room that you love to be in is not easy--it takes time, money, and talent. That's why people hire decorators and designers ;)

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diana Bier Interioris, LLC- these are all beautiful rooms ! I probably should have hired a decorator to begin with ! I just don’t have the eye. Like it may be pointless to bring samples to store because I can’t even tell what goes lol. Clueless here ! so I am trying to find a new rug and by saturated colors do you mean like a dark colored rug Or a light rug with pronounced colors ?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Every room Diana showed you above is tonal, textured and a limited palette, Not one has gray walls. I gave you in a visual comparison and a link to a rug, that you could TRY in a small size that might look great!

You are not listening..........and I gave you several stripe rugs weeks ago!! " I don't like stripes . Look at the difference below, your room and a potential with a cllick of a link ( scroll back to the link ) Your sofa tone, AND your wall tone are in the rug. So is your art.

Believe it or don't.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan moyer- I really like the Rug you posted previously. the Nicolette pottery barn rug with the tribal design. only problem is cats may destroy so trying to find a similar rug or may just go with it and hope for the best.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Yes.............. accomplishes same thing. Squirt the kitty with a blast of water. Destroy it how? Get a scratch pad.

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They dig their nails and pull. Had another pottery barn rug that they pulled all the strings out. Looked awful after a few months. They don’t like the scratch pads ugh.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

@lilceeja, saturated colors do not mean dark. They mean bright or true to their hue, not tinted (whitened), shaded (blackened), or toned (grayed). Some examples of saturated color in the Ben Moore fandeck are Heritage Red, Albuquerque Teal, Tuscan Coral, and Firefly. Not that you need to use a very highly saturated color, but something with a bit more oomph than gray, taupe or beige.

As far as carpeting goes if you have cats, then stay away from anything with a loop, like a hand-knotted, Berber, needlepoint or Wilton Weave. Try a tight flat-weave or a cut pile rug.