SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicastrohm

Help me solve this kitchen conundrum!

Jessica Strohm
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! I am hoping to open up a thoughtful discussion with some of you on a dilemma I have with my kitchen layout. I've attached a 2D floorplan. There are a number of issues I'm looking to solve, but the layout is tricky so I'm not sure how! Our home's construction date is 1935 and it is a tudor.

Primary Concerns:

1. Refrigerator + Range Placement: The traffic flow here drives us bonkers! When someone is cooking, it's a challenge for anyone else to get to the fridge. There is barely room to walk past each other to get to the sink.
  2. Range Vent: There is no vent for our range. I would love to move it to a location where a hood can be installed. There is actually a small, vintage fan built into the wall above the single window over the sink — I've considered moving it there and installing a hood and relocating the sink elsewhere.

Other Considerations: The kitchen is a reasonable size at 158 sqft, but it feels so small — I think because of the layout. If I could have any dream come true, it would be for the two issues above to be resolved. I feel there is so much missed opportunity in this space, but I'm not sure what to do with it because of the placement of the large pop-out bay-style window.

Additional Planning Notes:

• None of the doorways shown can be sealed off.
  • The indentation in the floor plan next to the refrigerator represents a brick chimney running through the whole house that someone sealed off with drywall. It looks as though it can be removed, but that is not an option for us at this time.
  • We cannot bump out any section of the rightmost wall, as the other side contains ductwork and a storage closet we cannot afford to lose.

I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting challenging spaces, but I have never been so stumped as I am with this room and I think I could benefit greatly from some fresh eyes. Thank you SO much in advance for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions! I appreciate it!

CURRENT KITCHEN DESIGN: See below.

PROPOSED VARIATION #1: See below. Relocate range to the wall shared with the old incinerator chimney; Repurpose that to function as the vent (costly and would need approval). This would allow us to shave some depth off the island to make for a more comfortable layout. I also included a change to the kitchen entry (larger threshold, removal of awkward indentation). Maybe keep the counter space that is currently there?

PROPOSED VARIATION #2: See below. No range relocation; most cost effective solution. Push island back a foot to create more space between range and opposite wall/appliances. I also think I like the idea of replacing that counter space with the fridge, and then filling the space where the fridge used to be with a pantry and overhead cabinets for additional storage. In this version, I'm considering widening both main points of entry and exit.

A COUPLE OF PHOTOS FOR REFERENCE/SCALE:

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!