SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Please help me solve a somewhat gross mystery

Alisande
3 years ago

I consider this a plumbing problem, but my plumber at home never heard of such a thing, and I didn't find a solution at GardenWeb's Plumbing Forum either. Here's what I wrote there:

When the water flow in my kitchen faucet slowed down recently I assumed the aerator had accumulated some of the black grit we clean out of the laundry water intake every few years. So I removed the aerator, but what I found wasn't gritty--it was a soft mat of what turned out to be hair and other unidentified debris. The hair isn't mine, and it isn't my cats'. To me, it looks like it might have come from a mouse.

Does anyone have any idea how this could happen? I don't think of myself as particularly squeamish, but I'm freaked out at the thought of all the water I drank, cooked with, washed dishes with, etc., that flowed through the mat.

I took an extreme macro photo of that mat (which is only 1/2" in diameter) and that's what made me think it was mouse hair. But now I'm questioning this. It definitely looks like brown hair to me, but I really don't know.

And now there's been another development. My upstairs bathroom faucet started to slow down today. I took it apart, expecting/dreading to find another mat, but instead I found what looks to me like very fine black fur. My black cat, Pogo, used to spend time in that bathroom, looking out the window, but I never saw his hair in the sink. Also, Pogo died 18 months ago--and even if he'd shed hair in the sink, how could anything that went down the drain end up in the faucet??

It's mystifying, and hard for me to believe that something like this has never happened to anyone else. I'm hoping one of you can help me solve this. I'm down to using only the downstairs bathroom faucet for cooking, and I've started drinking bottled water.

Thanks for reading. I know this is rather revolting, but I don't know what to do.

Comments (88)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County