SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Sourdough experts - crust questions - tweaking

agmss15
3 years ago

So I am spending more time than usual at my mom’s - mostly giving her partner a break. Specifically NOT doing what needs doing to make the house more accessible for her (perhaps temporary) limited mobility. The enforced passivity makes me beyond restless.

So among other things I have started bringing baking over there. They seem to enjoy the bustle of a project and they certainly like the bread. And it keeps me sane. Lol.

I have been baking in a cast iron dutch oven which is fairly new to me. I like the oven spring, the crust browns nicely, the crumb is getting better, tastes great. Reviews are good. However the texture of the crust is new to me - thinner but super chewy. I need to tweak it a little bit. Specifically the bottom crust which has been hard to cut - a little over cooked. Looking for suggestions.

The recipe calls for baking at 500F, 20 minutes covered, 20 minutes uncovered. I have lowered the temperature to 450. I was thinking about uncovering it a few minutes earlier. Anyone bake this way? Suggestions appreciated.

https://foodgeek.dk/en/artisan-sourdough-bread-recipe-an-easy-recipe-for-crispy-bread/#wprm-recipe-container-37385

Comment (1)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012