SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Happy Oyster Day!

John Liu
3 years ago

DD announced that today is more important than Christmas, for it is Happy Oyster Day! This was the day when we drove to the next state (which is just over the river, but it sounds impressive) and stood in a socially distanced line to collect our four dozen oysters.

We got a dozen each of large BBQ oysters, medium Purple Mountain oysters, small Pearl oysters and petite Kumamoto oysters, as well as a jar of shucked oysters, and rushed home.

First, the big boys. Six of these were opened, topped with three cheese sauce (brie, gruyere, and mystery cheeses, cream, garlic, onion, salt, white pepper), which was itself topped with panko, broiled for three minutes, and served on slices of sourdough bread. My rating: 8/10. SWMBO’s rating: 15/10 (she liked them, a, lot).

Six more were topped with a quick applesauce (grated apple, apple brandy, apple cider, buzzed in the Vitamix) and panko, broiled, served on slices of toasted brioche with a splash of apple brandy. My rating: 8.5/10. DD liked them even better than that.

DD made the next course, oyster soup (jarred oysters, mushrooms, butter, milk, cream, cooked then buzzed, served with toasted brioche cubes, salmon roe, and a sprig of parsley). This tasted good, but the texture was just a touch grainy; maybe we needed a little flour or something. SWMBO did not like, in fact she didn’t even finish her first spoonful. We discussed whether she should be ejected from the family, but relented. My rating: 5/10.

The Purple Mountain oysters were then shucked, coated in a simple batter of soda water and flour, and deep fried. The batter was thin, crisp, and shattered under the teeth, and the oyster was fresh and only just cooked through. Next time we’ll add some cayenne to the batter. My rating: 7.5/10.

I next made the remaining Purple Mountain oysters into shooters (sake, mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salmon roe, minced green onion, salt, pepper, a dash of hot sauce, oyster, raw egg yolk - sadly, not quail eggs as we just didn’t seem to have any on hand, fancy that). This was okay, full of promise but also with much scope for improvement. The sake was a sweeter type, which was good, but needed more vinegar, and the roe should have been flying roe, the egg from a quail). My rating: 6/10.

Finally, we had the Pearl oysters on the half shell, some with a mignonette and some with lemon. We also had two of the Kumamoto oysters this way; the rest of the Kumamotos are being saved for tomorrow’s fresher palates. My rating: Pearl oysters 7/10, Kumamoto 8/10.

Photos when DD sends them to me!

Comments (58)