SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kari_post

Installing Laminate Over Hardwood

Kari P
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have two people and an active dog living in our small house, and our maple hardwood floors are in pretty rough shape. They're scratched and gouged from activity in our home and if there is any hope of keeping them for the future we probably need to refinish them soon.

Our home is a 912 sq foot ranch with two small bedrooms, one tiny bathroom, and about 515 feet of hardwood flooring that extends throughout the living and bedroom areas (the bathroom and kitchen/dining area are tile). Because our home is so small, refinishing the floors would involve us and the dog moving out for at least a week, plus moving all of our furniture into temporary storage. After the initial refinishing, it was recommended that we re-urethane the floors every 1-3 years to keep them looking fresh and to avoid not needing to refinish them every 10 years or so. I feel with the amount of traffic in our house and the size, keeping hardwood floors in good shape is just going to be a constant battle.

My husband suggested that we could self install laminate or some other interlocking floating floor option over our existing hardwoods instead of refinishing the floors. The biggest advantage for us would be that installing a floating floor is something we could do on our own, and we could do it a bit more piecemeal, doing one room at a time and avoiding having to move ourselves and all of our furniture out of the house. It would also preserve the hardwood for the future, so if/when we want to sell the house one day we could take up the laminate and refinish the hardwoods right before showing it to buyers. I love the idea! Plus it could cost 1/3 to 1/2 of what refinishing would after you factor in the cost of labor and materials plus storage and housing for us.

I read up about the process and it seems very doable (husband likely already knows the basics, but I like to research everything). The one thing I'm a bit unsure about is the padding. If we install laminate over hardwoods, are we better off buying planks with the pads attached or a separate padding layer? Also I'm assuming we go with a breathable pad vs a vapor barrier because we are installing over hardwood and breathable is recommended for install over plywood subfloor and in areas that aren't high moisture, vs vapor barrier seems to be the recommendation for concrete and/or bathroom areas. If laminate comes with padding on the back, how do we know what type of padding it is?

Please share your tips/experiences for installing laminate/floating floor over hardwood floors. Also if there are any other flooring options we should look at (easy install direct over hardwood) please let me know.

Comments (5)