SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Which of these options is best to support my quartz island overhang?

weedyacres
3 years ago

Here's my future 4'x10' island. 24" of it is all cabinets, but the other half has only a 24" cabinet in the corner and the rest will be overhang for seating (counter not drawn all the way in).

I plan to have a leg at the lower left corner, and when talking to my fabricator he suggested a piece of steel angle between the leg and the cabinet on the right, with skirting to cover it. He said I didn't need steel from the leg to the long flank of cabinets. But if I do skirting, I'd want it to look the same in both directions.

So I've read all the threads on Houzz about how to support, and I've got 2 tentative options. I'd like input on what would work best.

Option 1: 3"x3"x1/4" steel angle with gussets on the end, screwing into wood leg and wood cabinet. It would go both directions, and be covered by a wood skirt.

Option 2: 1"x1"x1/4" tube steel in a box (do I also need cross brace(s) across the middle?), welded to a 4x4 tube steel leg, all painted black. No wood skirting.

Option 3: a big 1/4" steel plate. From what I've read, this is not the preferred option, but I saw it in the mix, so thought I'd toss it in.

Follow-up question: does the steel need to be "embedded" in the cabinet (i.e., notched out, so it bears on the cabinet) or is it ok to screw it to the cabinet side, albeit with some blocking on the inside? So, for example, if I do option 2, does that 1x1 box need to be 2'x8' (supporting the overhang portion) or more like 4'x10' and be under the entire piece of quartz? I'm looking, in particular at this counter.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)