SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j_yk

urgent island overhang support question

j-yk
12 years ago

I seem to be loaded with urgent questions today...

I had my templating guy come measure my cabinets yesterday. I had asked my countertop guy repeatedly if I need any support for my 12" overhang for my island. My island is 52" x 36" with two 12" overhang on 39" x 24" cabinet base (roughly).

Now the templating guy came and he tells me that I would be safer to get some support. Well, after he saw that I was rather upset that his company did not tell me that , he said, "well, I guess you could do without any support but make sure no one hangs on it or anything..." - after he had seen my little ones running around....

My cabinet does not have any place for me to put corbels without making it look really silly - on one side of the seating part, I have a fake door so putting any corbel on it to meet the countertop will create a gap I can see from the side. Plus it WILL look really weird to have a corbel of some some on a door....

I have been reading what people do to support without using corbels, I see that you use some steel plates or beams inlaid into the cabinet or embeded onto a plywood.

My cabinet is an Ikea frameless cabinet so I won't have any place to inlay steel support into my cabinet. Is my only option to use plywood + steel support?

If then am I supposed to use a plywood as big as what the countertop will be and lay out steel plates going criss cross? What size of steel thickness and length should be effective? How do people deal with plywood + steel underneath the overhang? Paint it? Sand it? Maybe I don't really have an accurate picture of these support system...

If some one could explain to me what I should do, that will be awesome! Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (11)