SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_84771578

Need help creating a boho look for my new living room

goldperry
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just moved in a few months ago and I finally have time to work on designing my living room, but I've been very overwhelmed about where to start. I know I want a Boho style room and I'm leaning toward having a lot of beiges/creams/grays for the color scheme. Maybe more color in the rug. Possibly Morrocan/Tribal style. I was thinking about starting with the artwork and rug first and base the curtains, and the rest based off of those selections but I'm not sure which direction to really start in. Since I don't have any furniture, it's daunting to start this project. I know I need budget friendly items. I'm going to post some photos of the kind of living rooms I like and some selections that have interested me so far. I was wondering if I can get some suggestions, about anything really, or some pointers of what I can include or where to start! I want to go for a cozy/warm/vintage/boho look. I'm lost with finding artwork, I can't find anything! Thanks in advance!

(Here is my living room now. I will get rid of the yoga mats/boxes once I get furniture! I'm starting from scratch with this room).

This artwork I like but I'm not sure how "boho" it is and if it's too modern.

like this coffee table:

I love the coffee table and the look of this room below:

I like these wayfair rugs but I'm not sure I'm dying to get any of them!

Comments (33)

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some styles of living rooms that I like:

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Some ideas of boho luxe

Boho Luxe · More Info

Crisp Bohemian · More Info

• Related Discussions

Need help creating a new accent wall in living room!!

Q

Comments (1)
    A distressed wood sideboard would look nice with that wall decor.
    ...See More

complete living room redo - transitional with touch of boho

Q

Comments (79)
    Love the rugs, especially 1 & 2. I have another one I think would also be nice in your room, if I can find it again. I like the chair, color and style. I know this is just a rendering and may not be to scale, but just want to note that the chair needs more heft to balance with the sofa. I think style would be ok, but a larger chair.
    ...See More

Need help picking out rug for Black/White Boho living room

Q

Comments (46)
    So the sofa, rug and table are here! I just have to put the table and sofa together this weekend. I chose art that I decided on and a few throws that I'm choosing between. I'm starting to look at curtains since my goal is to get everything ready be New Years (hopefully!) But I'm really stuck on what kind of curtains to get. With these art and throw choices, I guess the room is more....eclectic. I'm not sure whether to get solid curtains or patterned ones since the rug is pretty patterned already. Here is the art/throws I picked out. I will have these two art side by side behind the sofa. I'm still deciding whether to get 15x21 or 20x26 for the art. I guess I'll have a better idea once the sofa/table is set up. For the throws, I'm getting two of the beige ones for the back pieces and the black/white floral and red one for the 2 front pieces. Now for the curtains.....it's the hardest to really decide. I don't even know where to start!
    ...See More

Please help with my living room. I need to create an style balance

Q

Comments (20)
    Let's begin in the foyer, and let me know what you think about these ideas. How about exchanging the table and mirror for a shoe cubby similar to this? it holds 12 pair of shoes and is about 25" wide and 27" high. Then hang a tall slim mirror above it to draw more light from the window into the dark foyer. I love your blue art! Do you want to continue with that blue as an accent? How about adding another color that is its compliment; thinking orange for a pop. This contemporary rug is 6 x 9 so it would be slim enough for the space you have available between the armoire and the sofa. Just place the front feet of the sofa on it and I think it will work. You can tape it out with painter's tape to see how it might fit. Continue to mix your styles with an IKAT pillow featuring the colors. Here's a solid you can have monogramed Not sure you really have room for a coffee table, but this bench could float in front of the window between the two built-ins. You could move your chair left of the sofa, floating to face the window. Here's a mirroor that is slim enough for over the shoe cubby and tall enough too. The pattern adds another layer of interest.
    ...See More
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Boho Chic Bachelorette Pad · More Info

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Totally obsessed with this. Also loveeee the coffee table you found. Not so into the art. It’s much more modern than what your after

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

If a boho/ eclectic/ vintage look is what you’re after, then Craigslist, eBay, Etsy, yard sales and flea markets are great places to get furniture and other decor- ceramic pieces, art, etc. I’ve been able to furnish my home that way, although it takes some time and effort as compared to buying mass-market pieces. Often vintage pieces are better made and less expensive than their contemporary counterparts in stores or online.
    It’s fun to have a work-in-progress approach- although understandably you might want to buy a couch to sit on first!
    Have fun, and take your time. Find just the right thing. You will!

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

I love Boho, too. I frequently search for the words "Bohemian" or "Boho" in photos here on Houzz and save the ones I like to my ideabooks. If you haven't already, you should start saving to your own ideabooks so you can find the ones you like whenever you want. Also, there's a great book I've recommended to some other folks, and it has wonderful photos of real homes decorated in various versions of Bohemian styles. You might want to pick it up - it's called 'Global Bohemian' by Fifi O'Neill. She categorizes different ways to do Boho, such as Vintage, Romantic, Scandi, Artistic, etc. I got mine at Barnes & Noble this past summer but it's surely on Amazon, too. I think it came out in 2019. It is inspiring, as are Houzz photos.

There's also a book from 2002 called 'Old & New' by Katherine Sorrell, which gives basic guidelines on mixing different eras of furniture and other elements. The book isn't specifically about Boho style, but Boho is about mixing old and new, or mixing styles, so it's also a good one to look at for inspiration. Check for it on used book sites like Alibris and others.

You don't have to worry about whether or not a piece of art is too "modern" in a Boho room. You can have modern or contemporary art hanging over an ornate antique fireplace mantel or rustic furniture, and so on, as long as you love the combination and feel it expresses who you are. Besides, art is so much more than just decor. If you love a certain piece of art, it's the one for you and you'll find a way to make it work.

You're ahead of the game because you know what colors you want. I moved into a new apartment in August and had no LR furniture either. I'm limited to having white walls (NOT my fave) because the LL doesn't let us paint, and so my color scheme of dark chocolate brown and aqua started because I found a great, comfy, like-new loveseat in chocolate brown on Craigslist for an unbelievable $40, and I just went from there. My version of Boho is pretty contemporary, with touches of other styles - and I've furnished my apartment with almost all second-hand stuff.

Anyway, in her book, Fifi O'Neill calls Boho a "layered, vibrant, and organic aesthetic" for those who "revel in freedom from convention and rules, love a home that reflects individuality, spontaneity, a fondness for a fusion of global goods, and a distinctive convergence of cultures." And there are so many ways to express these!

There's a designer - I forget her name - who says that when trying to figure out what to do with a room, choose two words to guide you. The first word is the feeling that you want for yourself and/or your guests to feel in the space. For example: calm, comfortable, happy, energized, cozy, playful, edgy, relaxed. The second word is the style, such as Eclectic, Bohemian, Retro, etc. Put the two words together for a phrase that you keep in mind when you go shopping for furniture and accessories. Whatever piece you're considering should fit at least one of your words.

Hope this helps!

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to look out for that book :) I think out of those, I definitely want to go with calm, comfortable, cozy look. Maybe a little bit elcectic too. Oh but the romantic and vintage too. Maybe I can combine those.

I just have such trouble with the artwork. A lot of the photos for Boho show a gallery wall and it's hard to find that many art that go together, and then a lot of the come in prints and you have to go buy the frames and figure out which ones, it's so confusing! Then I thought, maybe I should go for a larger painting and not worry about the gallery wall or just buy two or three large set. It's just been a lot to find anything. A lot of what I see looks more modern and abstract or nothing that I can see that works!

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or this:

Is this Boho?

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They have Black and White too:

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

I love the tree rings art for your Boho look

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

ANY artwork can work in a Bohemian setting. Art is much more than a decorating style. You should worry about artwork LAST. Right now, you need furniture. Look for seating - a comfortable sofa you can afford - and a rug, then build from there. Think about it: to be fretting over whether a piece of art is Boho or not just doesn't make any sense when you have nothing else in the room!

And when the time comes to shop for artwork, no, of course you don't need a gallery wall just because you like a Boho look. You can have blank walls or one big piece of art or family photos or postcards clipped onto a string and have a Boho look going on. The ONLY things that make a room Bohemian is that it's a form of an Eclectic mix of styles, and that it is very personal and unique to YOU. So, even though you are starting from zero in this room, doesn't mean you go out shopping for "Boho things!" In fact, avoid decor items that are labeled "Boho" - you don't want a ready-made room; you want a room that has meaningful items in it that make you feel good.

Look for things you love. The curve of a chair, the sheen of a fabric, the colors and patterns that TURN YOU ON. There are no other rules or requirements in Boho except that it expresses your personal taste and life experiences.

So, stop focusing on "is it boho?" and start focusing on "do I love it?" and "is this me?"

If you get that book I recommended, 'Global Bohemian' by Fifi O'Neill, you'll see what I mean and it will all make sense.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yea I like the tree rings art too! I'm leaning toward getting it. And I'm definitely considering that coffee table I first posted.

I'm thinking a rug like this (tribal like) but it's out of stock! Maybe something similar.

Basically. I'm looking for a rug that goes well with black and white minimialist boho art like the tree ring art.

I'm really obsessed with this look below with the red pillow. Maybe I can go with that coffeetable, and a dark rug like that and black and white painting. But I'm looking for something like this for my living room, I'm not sure what to call this type of design or what key words to plug in to find stuff, rugs, etc.

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

Last photo of room with red pillow shows a mix of "ethnic" or "tribal" and Contemporary styles.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe a rug like this?

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

Regarding that rug, the "Foxburg," what is more important is whether or not YOU love it - is it YOU? What kind of seating are you thinking of?

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Trem Wills, I like the 1st rug you posted. That's a cool design! Considering.

@thriftyboho, I'm thinking of a beige sofa/beige seating. I do like that Fox rug but I also like the stripey rugs. I wonder if that Foxburg one would go with the tree ring art I posted or that kind of style of art. I just also worry about those colors looking muddy with a beige sofa.

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

I actually like the first rug from Crate and Barrel that msteezy posted better. It's more lively and will give some contrast. Plus it's not cliche at all.

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

I agree with the comment above ^^. I think the first one from Crate & Barrel gives the look you’re going for without being cliche.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yea, I definitely want something drastic like that, because the one I posted seems a bit too tame and cliche indeed.

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

I found an excellent how-to article on creating a Boho living room here on Houzz. It's got great photos and is an easy read. Pay particular attention to the last section on how to make the room personal.

Go here: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-decorate-a-boho-living-room-stsetivw-vs~110122543

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

This is a bit of a reiteration, but if you love a vintage/ boho look, look for vintage pieces as much as possible. You’ll save money, too. New pieces can be great, for sure, but vintage is really special.
    Other sources are Chairish, local antique stores, Facebook marketplace, free on the curbside- so many! Hunting for the perfect piece is a lot of fun. I’m always on the lookout.
    I agree that looking at lots of photos of spaces, and noting what speaks to you, is key. The book recommended above sounds great.
    If you want an eclectic look, try to get in touch with what pieces/ periods/ looks you really LOVE.
    Different periods can mix in your space. In my 1915 Craftsman bungalow living room, for example, I have a MCM Jens Risom couch, an Eames lounge and ottoman, and a George Smith armchair (all Craigslist) , several light wood tansu chests (local shops), and several antique European pine cabinets, and armoires and a bookcase(yard sales, Craig’s and local antique store). I have Target copies of Aalto stools, stacked, for extra seating or tables when guests come. The art was collected over time, as were the lamps and ceramic pieces, from flea markets here and in Europe, and yard sales. In fact, it all was collected over time. And none of it was particularly expensive! I do love a bargain.
    It’s a life’s work:) and didn’t happen quickly.
    If you really love something, it will work with everything else. But first you need to figure out what you really love, what speaks to YOU. That’s the art of it.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the tips again!

Yeah, I think I will keep my eye out at thrift shops and places like craigslist to find one of a kind pieces. That's a good point to foucs on what I really love and pieces that I love and hopefully it will just come together. I think the coffeetable I decided on, I just love. I can play around with rug options and find a beige sofa and get original art from Etsy, and maybe once I have those base pieces, I can find other pieces like the lamps, end tables at the thrift stores. I'm trying to focus on the main pieces for now so I can at least have a base to start from :)

I'm liking this rug. I think I have an idea in my mind what I want. Dark rug, minimalist black/white art, and vintage/boho, eclectic everything else.

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

I like that rug, too!

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah I like it too! I wonder if black and white art would clash though or be too similar. But I want to pull off a neutral color theme as much as possible

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe for that type of black rug, I would need art like this, to create a contrast:

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

I think you're a bit too worried about the artwork. Black & White works with just about anything and, remember, you buy art for art's sake, not whether or not it coordinates with your rug or furniture. If you love it, that's what you should buy. Anyway, get the rug, get a couch and/or some chairs, buy that gorgeous coffee table you love, and build little by little to see what art pieces you can find to work with the room. You can find great art in antique shops and thrift stores, for not much cost, so experiment after you furnish the room a bit.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you're right. I feel like I was overly focused on the art work too and it is kind of a lot to focus on picking out several pieces at once. Yeah, I picked out a couch, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get that coffeetable, all I need to do is focus on a rug, which I need if I'll be sitting in that area. And then once those arrive, maybe it'll come easier to me to figure out the art.

Here's another rug I saw similar to the one @Trem Wills posted. I was aiming for that one but it looks like it's $399, above my price range (darn!). This one looks similar but it's not as down to earth, warm vibe as the crate and barrel one. Just worried it might be too loud. Hmmm....

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

That's a nice one. Are you looking for black & white rugs or greys or dark browns? I know you want dark.

Have you tried rugs.com and rugsusa.com? They get recommended here a lot. I believe Rugs USA allows returnsand their prices seem reasonable.

• goldperry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel like the one I posted may be too contemporary. I'm looking for any of those, black & white, greys and white or dark browns or any combo of those colors, preferably a dark rug. I've search a little via rugs.com and rugsusa.com. I will keep looking!

• thriftyboho
    3 years ago

Exactly what kind of Bohemian look are you going for? I ask because contemporary furnishings are often used - and look great - in Boho spaces, and yet you keep wondering if the things you like are too contemporary. There are no rules in Boho! If something mixes well with your other things, and you're happy with it, you don't need to worry about what style it is. Boho is a type of Eclectic, and is mix of any number of styles you want. My apartment is definitely Boho, and is a mix of mostly contemporary with Asian, farmhouse, and industrial, which I'm sure most people would never deliberately think of mixing. I never set out to look for any particular style at all, I just look for what I love and appreciate (and can afford!), what's comfortable, and what I think will work together, and it seems I gravitate mostly toward contemporary and Asian. Plus I definitely know what I don't like.

But I have a sense that you see Boho in your mind's eye as something very specific. Like mostly Moroccan, perhaps? I think choosing a rug and everything else you need will become easier when you define what kind of Bohemian style you envision for yourself. Again, the book 'Global Bohemian,' and a few others, as well as scouring through images here on Houzz, was very helpful to me in figuring out my personal definition of Boho.