SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sub2014

Need advise on hanging 85 Inch TV on Stair's Wall

sub2014
3 years ago

I only have one place in my Living room to put or hang my TV and that is next to the Stairs wall. I earlier had a smaller TV there on a Media Console. I bought a new 85" TV (weight is 101 lbs) and would ideally like to hang it on the wall in the red line area in the picture below. Finding a Media Console with enough depth (TV Stand is 18 inches deep), width, and low height has been a challange. Also as it is next to the stairs, I am concerned that if I put it on the stand, someone in my house may hit their hand while coming down the stairs as we use the railings most of the time when we come down. I have checked the measurement for the holes behind the TV for hanging it on the wall and I do have enough space in the white area below the stairs to put the nails for the TV mount.

What I am not sure if 2x4 under the stairs are structurally strong enough to take the weight of the TV and the people walking up/down on stairs simultaneously. My house was built in 1965 and I do not know hanging a 100 lbs TV on those 2x4 will impact the structural integrity of the stairs.

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (29)