SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anitastadler

Which window shape do you prefer for this kitchen (new build)?

anitastadler
3 years ago

Black and White Beauty · More Info

Stunning Kitchen and Whole House Remodel - from "Outdated" to "Gorgeous"! · More Info

Ready for some creative fun? I would like your opinion. We are doing a new build and the 15' wide opening to the kitchen from the living room will have an ellipse at the top, similar to the first photo. The perpendicular wall will have large windows. Should we choose windows with a flat top or repeat the ellipse?

The layout:

I don't have an updated floor plan to post, so will describe our layout as best I can. The kitchen is about 15 deep (looking into it) x 21 wide (the side with the ellipse opening to the living room). As you face the kitchen, to the right is a 15' run of lower cabinets on the exterior kitchen wall, which could have a tall window (max about 6' wide and 6' high) centered above the large (48" wide) workspace sink (Houzer Novus). (Our windows will not be as large as the photos above obviously, but the photos convey the different window shapes nicely). The ceilings will be 10' high (the adjacent living room is vaulted to 14') and the cabinets will extend to the ceiling. The windows will not need to open, so they will be fixed glass.

The architectural style:

Texas Hill Country Modern with cream Austin stone exterior, dark window frames, and metal roof. I would welcome insight from anyone familiar with this style of architecture about whether an ellipse window is even appropriate for this style.

The window covering challenge:

We have a beautiful view (rolling green hills) out the windows, but it is south facing and will require window coverings for light control sometimes. It will be difficult to reach the windows since we are planning an extra-deep countertop (by pulling the cabinets about 6" extra out from the wall) to enable more space behind the sink for the faucet and other items. I am keenly aware of the difficulty of figuring out a window covering for curve-topped windows, so I am hesitant to go with the curve, but I am intrigued by the idea of repeating the ellipse. We will repeat the ellipse (on a very small scale) at the bottom of the upper cabinet that conceals the vent over the cook top, which is centered on the wall that you will see looking directly into the kitchen from the living room.

Your turn:

1. Do you prefer the square arrangement of windows, or would you repeat the ellipse shape from the wall opening in the windows? Would you recommend three separate windows, or one three-part window, or something else?

2. What are your ideas for window covering options for either choice? We've been intrigued by windows with tiny mini blinds between the glass of the widows. How well do those work? Do they break easily? Where is the mechanism located to move and tilt the blinds? Obviously they don't work with a curve at the top, so could only be over a lower section.

3. Would you prefer the windows to be the full 6' high, or would you recommend a separate set of transom windows like in the second photo?

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!

Comments (5)