Do you sleep with an electric blanket?

glenda_al

Hot natured, so I do not, but I have an electric throw which I love when watching tv.

SaveComment41Like
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dexx215

Glenda, I have an electric throw and love it. Use it on my bed. It’s great. I just bought an electric blanket for my granddaughter for Christmas, and I hope she likes it. She insisted on moving to the basement bedroom this past summer because it was cooler, but now that it’s winter she is complaining of being cold. Merry Christmas everyone!

Save    
marilyn_c

Not now...I don't have one, but I like them. Jody does not.

Save    
Angela Id

No. It's 34 degrees here now. Bedroom window is wide open. Have a throw blanket over my legs. About 3:30 a.m., supposed to be 22 degrees, I'll close the window part way and turn on a space heater so when I take a shower at 5:00 I don't turn into a popsicle! LOL

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

no. but I have a nice fleece blanket

Save     Thanked by glenda_al
wildchild2x2

No. I like them as throws but not to sleep under. I like to sleep fleece blankets topped with light, not thick, comforters in the winter. In the summer I prefer quilts with cotton batting.

Save    
Lars

No. I keep the thermostat at the temperature that I want, and it requires very little heat in the winter here to reach that temperature. I sometimes have to switch to A/C in January for the warmer days, when it gets above 80° outside. Our houses tend to stay warmer than the outside temperatures, which is one of the reasons our A/C bill can be as high as it is.

It was 82° this afternoon, which was very nice for exercising in the pool, but most November and December days are colder than that. When it is cooler, I go for bike rides instead. I like being able to go in the pool without worrying about intense sun, as our pool stays in the shade for most of December and parts of November and January.

What I appreciate most about winter is not having to be concerned with wearing sunscreen. I had a dermatologist appointment last week in Santa Monica, and he found several spots that needed to be frozen off, plus another basal cell carcinoma, but I pointed that one out to him. I will have to have a Mohl's procedure in January when I go back to L.A., but it will be a minor one, for once.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

No. I already wake up hot and sweating, no matter the temperature I warm up SOs side of the bed with 3 hot water bottles that I fill for him to warm up the sheets before he gets in. It keeps the heat on HIS SIDE thank you.

I suggested an electric blanket but he is uncomfortable wrapping up in something that is plugged into an electrical outlet........

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

No but I do use a heated mattress pad. I can't sleep if my feet are like ice. I turn it off just before I fall asleep. I have hot flashes in the night plus I'm not comfortable leaving something like that on my bed left on when I'm sleeping.

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

No, it's in the teens tonight and I have my bathroom window open. I like a cold bedroom.

1 Like Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Yes, it is especially important to me since my husband is gone.

2 Likes Save    
Debby

I have a feather blanket. Keeps me really toasty warm.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Not a blanket, but love my heated mattress pad. Nothing better than slipping into cozy warm bedding -- cotton sheets and a fluffy comforter. We turn it on about a half hour before bedtime, turn it off as we get into bed. Once in a while it's cold enough in pre-dawn hours to click on a little heat. Having a warm bed lets us keep the air temp colder overnight.

4 Likes Save    
bengardening

No for one thing they are to heavy on me, I have claustrophobia so that might explain it

nicole___

I love electric blankets, but they're too much. On the other hand.....I love the heated seats in the car. ☺

3 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
OutsidePlaying

No, we like to sleep in a cooler room and we both prefer a quilt layered over a sheet.

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

Not anymore since we started using fleece (not flannel) sheets a few years ago. We still use the electric blankets between the comforter and the sheets in the dead of winter, just not plugged in anymore

whistle_b

Yes

Save    
glenda_al

switched bed covering from down blanket to down comforter, yesterday. Slept hot last night. It's a lot heavier and not used to it. Last year I didn't switch cause we had a warm winter.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

No, I've never liked them. I like it cold. If I haven't switched over to a flannel fitted sheet yet, I'll wear flannel slipper socks to bed and then kick them off once my body heat has warmed the sheets.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Not since my high school days when I woke up to find my cat pouncing on me. She was chasing electrical sparks that she could see through the blanket. Yikes!!

I have a lightweight down comforter I use year round and flannel sheets I use in winter. I am never cold in bed.....never too warm either.

It also helps if you have a furry heat source available (dog or cat) :-))

3 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

I loved having a heated mattress pad to heat the bed before getting in. Now I have a heated throw that I turn on when it's especially cold.

Save    
functionthenlook

I almost burnt down my parents house with a electric blanket. I forgot to shut it off before I went to school. The cat came downstairs coughing and my mom went upstairs to see what caused the cat to cough. A small portion of my bed was on fire. No I didn't get a new mattress. My thrifty mom added some new stuffing and put a patch were it burnt through. Lol. I did get new sheets, reg blanket and bedspread though.

Judy Good

yep I have one that is turned on before bed and shut off when I am going to sleep. I also keep the bedroom cool, heat duct is closed and always have a fan on me, all year round.

Save    
bleusblue2

I turn the heat down at night so the furnace doesn't come on. I like sleeping under heavy blankets in a cold room. BUT I put my pajamas on the (hot but unplugged)oil heater before I put them on. Very cozy!

Save    
Hot Rod

No. We use hot water bottles.

Save    
Rusty

Nope, don't like them. I've always been on the hot natured side, but that seems to be changing as I age. But I still prefer a cool bedroom and heavy blankets. I actually like for the sheets to feel cold when I first get into bed! I guess that's a weird carry over from my childhood, growing up in a drafty, coal-furnace-in-the-basement heated house with no heat vents in my second story bedroom. In Michigan.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

No, I don't. We find blankets work fine and prefer light cotton ones.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

No I sleep hot. Currently we have a light weight down comforter which is perfect all year. We do have a heated throw but haven't used it in a long time.

Save    
Lukki Irish

No...never. My husband loved them but I prefer down and cotton blankets. I found a down throw at Garnet Hill online that is oversized and comfy and bought 4 of them for people to use.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Have a heated throw that I will probably use this year since we are not going to Florida.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

I can't get to sleep if my feet are cold, and I don't like wearing socks to bed. Hubs got me one of these several years ago, and I love it. It has an automatic shut-off after 4 hours, but I don't use that feature. It's between the top sheet and bottom sheet at the foot of my side of the bed. I turn it on when we're getting ready for bed, and then turn it off a little while after getting in bed. It retains warmth for along time.

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

Not anymore. We have a nice big one and have used it in the past... but for the last few months it's been on the couch with a towel on top for the cats. A couple of them are getting elderly and really appreciate the warm spot. The towel on top makes it easy to wash the cat stuff off frequently.

Not such a biggie though, I happened to pick up new blankets and comforter this summer on deep clearance. Very warm with just one blanket and the comforter.

I have thought about a heated mattress pad, but we don't really need to pre-heat the bed much. Sometimes wish we had a foot warmer, maybe I'll keep an eye out for a small blanket.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Ooooh......I like that foot warmer Lindsay posted!! I have poor circulation in my extremities and my feet are always cold. Not so much in bed - they warm up fine - but if sofa lounging while streaming or when working at my drafting table, they stay chilled even if wearing sox or fuzzy slippers. And the dog would love it! His favorite spot at this time of year is to stretch out in front of the space heater....as close as he can get :-)

Save    
Lindsey_CA

"What I appreciate most about winter is not having to be concerned with wearing sunscreen."

Unfortunately, this is not true.

Save    
chisue

My DM gave us a king sized electric blanket about 50 years ago. It was two blankets, zipped together, with separate controls for each side. One side disappeared with our DS when he left home. My DH never used 'his side' of the blanket, but DS used it in his less-well-heated bedroom. The other side is still working beneath the mattress pad on my side of our bed. I turn it on when I'm getting ready for bed and off shortly after I get into bed. I'm now wearing some all-wool socklets in bed. I wish I'd discovered them a long time ago!

We sleep under a percale top sheet, a mid-weight wool blanket, and a feather duvet. The window is open on all but the very coldest nights. Our bedroom door is closed with a draft dodger at the bottom.

Save    
joann_fl

Everynight, all year when a chill hits me. The fan is right next to it.

Save    
Cherryfizz

No, might be too hot for me but sometimes I will hold hand warmer in bed. I am also a little scared of them. I was given a heated mattress cover but have never used it. I remember in the 1960s my sister had a heated blanket she put on the bed when she came for a lengthy stay. I was in bed with her and the blanket caught on fire and it happened more than once the little tube things inside of it would burn through the cover until eventually it did catch

Save    
whatsayyou18

Mine is similar to Lindsey's...love it! We keep our room cool and this pad keeps me warm all night as well as helps me to fall asleep easier. DH runs warm so an electric blanket wouldn't work for us.

Save    
martinca_gw sunset zone 24

We have one in a guest room. Times when I’m feeling a bit cold and achy, napping there is yummy/

Save    
ratherbesewing

Down comforter fo me. It’s like a cloud.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Yes, when it is pretty cold out. I don't heat my bedroom. It is 21 out and snow on the ground this morning.

Sue

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Is Your Bedroom Designed for a Good Night’s Sleep?
Find out how the right nightstands, bedding, rugs, TV and storage can help you get more restful slumber
Full Story
Life 12 Effective Strategies to Help You Sleep
End the nightmare of tossing and turning at bedtime with these tips for letting go and drifting off
Full Story
Bedrooms Sleep Sweetly With Mismatched Bedding in Soft Shades
Mixed linens and pretty pastels. Two easygoing trends combine to create a casual, inviting look for your sleep space
Full Story