SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_madden27

Young sugar maple pruning questions

C Mad
3 years ago

Hi. I've in Charlotte, NC and I've got a 4-ish year old sugar maple. It's doing fine but I'd call it gangly looking and I'd like to prune it. It's got 2 competing leaders, the tallest of which is about 15 feet tall, and a third branch- growing out of the trunk, but not quite as tall, also growing straight up (I think it might considered a water sprout?). I'd say all 3 tall branches make the tree look a bit ungainly, as they are mostly branch with sort of tufts of leaves at the top. Anyway, I'd like to just have one leader, two at most. Here are my questions:

1. Would cutting off the competing leader and the tall water sprout be too drastic. They are long, but they're not loaded with leaves. As I mentioned, the leaves are mostly at the top of each of them.

2. What about cutting just the water sprout and leaving the two leaders. The leaders make a "V" where they meet, which I've read is possibly problematic (weaker and possible prone to damage and/or decay?).

3. Whether I keep 1 leader or 2, they are quite tall so that the main mass of the leaves on the tree is down lower, then there is more or less a stretch of unleafed wood and then tufts of leaves at the top (looks kind of giraffe-y). Could I prune the top to encourage more branch and leaf growth lower on these long leaders, or would pruning the top just cause the tree to shoot up even higher?

Here are a couple of pictures of the tree showing it's general shape and the junction where you can see the "V' where the 2 leaders meet, as well as the water sprout growing out of the trunk below this.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris

Comments (21)