SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paolov

Should I prune this young Sun Valley maple?

PaoloV
12 years ago

Looking for advice ... I read a pretty good posting about pruning an Autumn Blaze from earlier this(?) year, and I'd love to get the same kind of input (from whaas, ken_adrian, dan_staley, gardengal48, etc.).

I rescued this Sun Valley from the local garden center (it was growing around the zip ties) and it's been in the ground for about a week. The tree is about 9 feet tall and was living in a two gallon container ... very root bound. Our soil here has a very high clay content, so I've got it tied down pretty well until the roots establish themselves.

My question is about what, if anything, I should do with the three branches (leaders?). Do I prune off one or two of them to improve structure? I'm not too concerned about how it ends up looking. I've never seen an "ugly" maple tree. However, it's on the west side of the house and it's going to catch the brunt of the summer thunderstorms and winter gales. That's its job, provide shade and wind break (in 10+ years).

Also, this spot is only about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. Don't I want the main trunk to be higher before it splits?

I've tied different color twist-ties (blue/yellow/green) on the branches to aid discussion ... and I hope these pics turn out OK.

Any advice out there?

Thanks, Paolo

the whole tree

{{gwi:442207}}

... and a bit closer ...

{{gwi:442208}}

a tighter view from the south

{{gwi:442210}}

... and one from the northwest

{{gwi:442212}}

Comments (13)