SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Best time to prune sugar maple trees

I've read some older posts. The suggestion is not to prune in the fall when leaves are falling and not to prune in the spring when buds are forming and opening. Otherwise go for it and not worry about bleeding. My two sugar maples are between 30 and 40 feet high.

My preference is not to prune in the spring or even in the summer. There are gardens under these maples and I fear that damage will be done when branches are dropped from the tree. I know larger branches will be tied and lowered down. I have to work hard to have a nice garden because of the roots of these two trees. I don't need a setback from damage due to pruning.

So my questions are:

(1) If the tree has some dead branches, are these going to be visible if the tree has lost its leaves? Pruning these two trees is expensive and I want to make sure all dead branches are removed---along with a light pruning.

(2) Is it OK for me to ask the arborist to take a picture of a decaying limb before it is removed? I had a large limb fall this summer and believe that the adjacent limb should be removed. I want a "record" for my city as to the limb decay. We have to apply to have trees removed and the city makes sure NO tree is removed if it can still live on---even if it damages your property or makes life difficult. When and if that time comes, I want to have some proof as to the condition of the tree and its history.

So what do you think would be the best time to have these two maples pruned?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus