SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

Best time to root prune fig trees in containers?

briana_2006
6 years ago

Hello All -

In the past I have always root pruned my container fig trees just a couple of weeks before buds open - in my area in mid to late February,

I am wondering if that is the best time. I believe I remember a post from Al T stating that the sugars/nutrients needed for bud push are in the tissue below the bark and not so much is required from the roots.

I had always waited until February thinking I had to conserve roots for as long as possible to sustain the tree through the winter months in my garage.

However, I am now wondering if I should do the root pruning earlier say a few weeks after dormancy sets in - perhaps in December.

Would I be correct in assuming that doing the pruning in December would allow the tree more time to grow more roots (albeit slowly since the garage is cold - Saint Louis, MO area) but that I might get better tree performance (i.e. more fruit set) if I do it in December rather than February.

It just hit my head that if I continue to do it in February perhaps it takes the tree a good amount of time/energy investment in growing new roots before the tree can focus on fruit production. Perhaps root pruning in December will allow the tree to get somewhat of a head start on root production so that fruit production can begin more quickly the following spring.

Just wanted to make sure this makes sense and won't result in dead trees.

Thanks for any advice!

Brian

Comments (2)