SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_866811015

Central TX - Heat Pump vs. AC/Furnace (Propane) & 2 Stage vs. Single

M P
3 years ago

I live in Austin, TX and currently have a 10 year old single stage 5 ton Trane serving 2,900 sf in a single story home. I also have a propane fueled 20 year old furnace that is on the fritz. I need to replace the furnace, which has me considering a full system replacement. While I'm at it I'll improve the duct work and redo the supply plenum. I have 3 different quotes and they're all over the place.

With propane being about $2/gallon (I have a 300 gallon tank) I end up filling that tank about 2X per year just for heating. My water heaters are elec. Cooking on propane. Pool heater is propane, but I seldom heat the pool. I figure I spend about $1,200 per year or more simply on propane for the furnace.

Options:

1) Install a 2 stage heat pump with dual fuel so that it can have propane fueled emergency heat.

3) Eliminate propane all together and go with a heat pump with electric emergency heat. I'd have to pull new 220v service for this.

4) Eliminate propane and go with a traditional 2 stage system with electric heat. Need to add 220v service.

5) Repeat what I have and go with a 2 stage system with propane fueled furnace. Again propane is expensive.

6) Go with a single stage option of #4 or #5 and put some money into other energy improvements.

In my climate, what is the best route? The difference between single and 2 stage is about $3K. If I was on natural gas I'd go that way in a heartbeat due to low cost and high heat instant gratification.

Also, I've had a variety of brands proposed: Champion (made by York), Trane, Lennox, Goodman. Thoughts on those? I'm developing an opinion that all are pretty good as long as the installation is good.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider