How do you handle deliveries these days?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
Related Discussions
How do you handle this bad soil?
Comments (2)Do you have access to a backhoe, tractor or rototiller? If you do, use it to break up your soil. Then add lots of compost to your soil and that will help keep it lose. It might be a bit expensive, but for this year you may want to have some topsoil and compost brought in to mix with your newly broken up soil. Dig down 12" or deeper is better. You don't say what kind of soil you have. Clay, rocky, sandy? Compost will help with all soils. Do you have neighbors with horses, chickens or cows? Ask them for the manure and any old grass clippings or hay they may want to get rid of. Mix this all together in small piles and add kitchen scraps (no dairy or meat leftovers to your piles), add water, and let them compost for next years use. You'll need to stir the piles around a few times to keep air in the piles. You may also want to add 'bought' topsoil and add a bit of this to the compost pile to help start the pile to compost. Keep your compost piles small, they are easier to stir and water. Add compost to your soil each year and you'll be able to keep your soil from becoming a solid mess. The Carson City Cooperative extension office has a whole bunch of info. and booklets to help you get started on composting and gardening. Joann Skelly is the area horticulturist and shes really sharp with all gardening stuff. They can help you with plant choices, soil info and composting. There phone # is 887.2252 The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch is a great book and I like the Fine gardening magazine and website finegardening.com for info. on all gardening stuff. Hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Gardening is really fun and some work. Even if you just plant a few trees around your yard, when you get to set under them in a few years and enjoy their shade, its a great feeling!! Good luck gardening!...See MoreHow do you handle vacations?
Comments (7)We start by checking the weather forecast. Actually, hot and dry are fairly rare conditions for here. Hot is usually very, extremely, unbearably humid. It's when the heat breaks that it starts getting dry. So a potted plants that has held up through two weeks of very hot weather can't handle a couple of days of much cooler weather. Generally things in large pots will be fine. Things that are drought tolerant will be fine. Things that should be watered get dumped into a baby pool with a couple of inches of water. Then they'll be fine....See MoreQOTD-How do you handle interruptions???
Comments (13)I'm lucky enough to have a sewing area that's always there so I don't need to pack things away if I'm interupted. It's always there when I can get back to it. Until 3 years ago, all of my sewing happened at the dining room table so a couple times a year I would declare the dining room 'off limits' to the rest of the household and I would do a marathon, sewing for a week or two whenever I had the chance, then pack it all away again until I started a new project. I have all of my projects in boxes with the contents listed on the outside. They are all sitting on a shelf in the sewing room so all I have to do is glance at the boxes. It's easy to pick up the right box, whether I have an afternoon to sew or just half an hour. Long term projects get the 1/2 hour; things I can really make a dent in get the afternoon or free evening. BTW, just because my phone or cell phone rings doesn't mean I have to answer it. Children crying, fire, profuse bleeding, general mayhem, lost dogs, police at the door... these things are interruptions. Everything else can wait until I'm done sewing! Kate...See MoreHow do you handle certain situations??
Comments (27)Just don't ask me what it was(c) If I have some time with a person..at some point they'll probably tell me. They'll feel comfortable enough. Or not. But usually they'll will. they might regret it too I'm still full of guilt because many years ago when I was living in dorms there was a girl on the crutches....I think she had prosthetics too..both legs.. .I had to help her with her studies one evening and she felt she can share...in short ..her own mother pushed her under the trum when she was a little girl.. and I..I was a good listener..and I think she got that hope.. wanted us to become friends..she got that hope from me being a good listener that one night.. but I was about to graduate soon, while she was just starting and I was in a ..in short I couldn't be there for her in a way that would be real, you know?.. so I kept polite distance.. and each time since then when it's so so sad when people cut me off or keep their distance or whatever.. I remember that girl. her smile full of hope. that became more faint by the day. damn my good listening. and damn me.. there will be always exceptions I guess..somebody runs towards my house with black eye ..I've much more reasons to assume thus to ask thus to make a plan-even in a haste In other cases I'd just try to do everything to make that person comfortable, so my questions might be pertaining to that..where's better to sit for example i myself am very not comfortable with questions, and I think am right not to share too much-because couple times that I went for it because was asked in the kindest way possible-just led to another person feeling bad, and overall trouble....See More- 5 years ago
Related Stories

ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: A Laundry So Cheery, Wash Day Is Wonderful
Pretty paint and playful touches banish chore-day blahs in a laundry room designed for a magazine’s Idea House
Full Story
ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: See a 30-Day Makeover of a Manhattan Living Room
This rental unit in a newly renovated Garment District building gets dressed for success in a New York minute
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Handle Client Installs During the Pandemic
Taking the time to be extra organized can help ensure everyone’s safety and put your clients at ease
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSHow to Handle Unrealistic Client Expectations
Pros advise setting the right tone and exercising empathy to keep clients feeling good about their remodeling projects
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Get a Handle on Rope
Steer your decor in a casual direction with nautical-style rope handles on everything from cheese boards to chests
Full Story0

WHITERoom of the Day: Bye-Bye, Black Bidet — Hello, Classic Carrara
Neutral-colored materials combine with eclectic accessories to prepare a master bath for resale while adding personal style
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow Remodelers Are Handling Projects This Holiday Season
Communicating clearly with clients and adding a buffer to the timeline can ease project stress during the holidays
Full Story0

LIVING ROOMSRoom of the Day: Strategies for Laying Out a Large Space
A designer helps a New York City homeowner make sense of her living room after it doubles in size
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow Design Pros Are Handling a Busy Holiday Season
Communicating clearly with clients and adding a buffer to the timeline can ease project stress during the holidays
Full Story
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)