How do you handle deliveries these days?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am ordering a lot of stuff. I am usually outside working in the yard when orders arrive. The UPS guy stops at the road and walks down the driveway, USPS guy (the regular one) comes down the driveway and parks where we turnaround. In “normal” times I go to meet them and they hand me the packages directly (it’s a long driveway). It works with these two regular ones to just put the package down when they see me and I get it. One of the FedEx people looked at me like I am crazy when I told him that my arms are too short to keep my distance, so to please just put it down. Yesterday a FedEx package was dropped of at my mailbox post, halfway hanging over the curb. Not sure if it was the same driver keeping a distance or somebody not wanting to carry down a 35 pound package with dog food. Today’s young Amazon driver (about the only one I have ever seen wearing a mask) said he appreciated me keeping my distance.

Christmas season is starting, so there will be a lot of holiday help delivering packages. How would you handle this? Obviously I am not wearing a mask working in my own yard. I don’t want to seem rude. Didn’t think that “Hi, you can just put it down. I will get it, ” would offend anybody, but it seems that it does.

SaveComment29Like
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terilyn

We have a gate with a bin for deliveries in front of it. If the package is too big they either put it over the gate or throw it in the yard or ditch.

Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Fun2BHere

The only time face-to-face has been an issue was when I knew the postal carrier was bringing an oversized package, so I waited for him. I wore my mask. He wore his mask. Perhaps you could put a mask in your pocket or somewhere else convenient so you could pull it out when you are face-to-face with a delivery person.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I had a UPS delivery person start toward me without a mask. I asked him to just put it down, I need to distance. So he starts telling me how he hasn't gotten Covid and knows no one who has. I tell him my views using words I shouldn't have and won't repeat so... next time I'll just walk away and let him deliver it like he does when I'm not outside.

Amazon has been really good about wearing masks. Even in their vans when I'd be tempted not to. USPS and FedEx, I don't know.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I don’t think my regular mail person has a mask. Said fresh air and all that when I first told him. But he is a really nice guy, so he is fine with just putting stuff down. I probably sound paranoid, but just trying to be careful.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

These delivery folks spend their days doing just that. I wouldn't assume they need any intervention from you. I also wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are concerned that packages might be grabbed by passersby with sticky fingers, I don't think you need to be particularly watchful. At my house it varies. What fits in the curbside mailbox is put there if conveyed by USPS, otherwise what doesn't winds up on our front porch. I'm okay wherever it's left

I understand wanting to keep your distance. When you see a delivery person making a stop for you, walk away or go inside.

matthias_lang

I would put a large sign by the mailbox directing deliveries to be brought up to the house, with a "thank you" and probably a smiley face. It might help sometimes.

If I were going to continue to get a lot of deliveries over a long period, I might install a wood bin with a trunk hinge near somewhat away fro the road on the side of the driveway It could be painted "DELIVERIES".

Your delivery persons would might prefer that you not meet them to take the package. They probably have a lot of exposures as is, and they don't really even know whether you are the recipient.

Very glad that deliveries here are brought all the way to the front porch, even though there are stairs to climb.

maifleur03

Only times I have been outside when I had deliveries I just told them to put it down in the driveway and I would get it. Once the driver did take my picture after he got back in the van just in case I was not the person the package was for. I did not mind but some would. There is a walking trail across from my house and I could have been anyone. If what I was expecting was heavy I would stand aside and allow the package to be taken to the house.

glenda_al

Grocery delivery today. Asked to put sacks on counter. Handed her a nice tip. She said " no tip". Gave it to her and she kissed me on my cheek.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Chi

She kissed your cheek?! Were you ok with that?

I have deliveries almost every day left at the door, including groceries. Amazon boxes are left in quarantine for 3 days and groceries are disinfected and put away. I don't do contact deliveries anymore.

I would just say "please leave it there" and point to the location. I don't see anything wrong with that.

maifleur03

Sorry absolutely no kisses on the cheek and I place tips in an envelope. Taped to the milk box or to the door for my lawn person. Here most of the grocery delivery people would be fired if their stores would find out about it. Only exception is the catering crews.

bragu_DSM 5

glenda ...

that was sweet ...

wildchild2x2

I am not in contact with any delivery person outdoors long enough to worry about the virus whether they hand something to me directly, set it on my porch or bring it inside the door. Ditto for workers who do outside projects for me. Same with my barn family. We are not in each others faces. If we must be for some remote reason, we mask but the virus doesn't fly around looking for a host last time I heard. Viral load matters.

amylou321

Hmmmm.

Well, the new FedEx driver leaves my packages at my one and only neighbors house for some reason. I or SO just drive down there and get them off her porch when she calls me. So no contact there. Although, when I order my candle wax and jars, the packages are typically 60 pounds or more. SO used to go out when our old delivery driver, Lisa, used to deliver it to help her get them out of the vehicle. I imagine he would continue to do that if she was still our driver or if the new driver ever learns how to read house numbers.

My UPS guy, Bud, typically comes when I am still asleep and leaves the packages on the steps. Sometimes SO will go out and collect the goods if he is up. Bud has always worn a mask and SO will slip one on if he goes out there. They are friends and will chat for a few minutes sometimes.

And my USPS mail hag usually will find a reason not to deliver my stuff and I go get it myself from the post office. They always have a mask on and so do I when I go in there. When she cant weasel out of delivering, she usually pulls up the driveway, opens her car door or rolls down her window, and chucks the package onto the ground next to her car then backs out. No contact there either. Probably for the best. Previous face to face interactions with her have been 100 percent unpleasant. Hag. I really miss Carey, my old mailman. He would leave our packages in SOs boat that was, at the time, in the carport.

Anyway, If you are uncomfortable telling your delivery people to just leave it here or there, I would just go inside when you see them coming.

jemdandy

Its rare that our delivery persons even ring the door bell. They just put the package on the door step and beat a retreat. The package is in full view of the street. Deliveries not in full view are flat envelops that are not obvious from the street, but walk up our short drive and those are very obvious too.

ci_lantro

Most of the time, deliveries are left on the porch. If I happen to be outside when one shows up, I don't worry about it. It's what? A 5 second or less interaction with the delivery person. Outdoors. I don't think that I'm going to get an infective dose in that amount of time in an outdoors setting. I bring it inside, unbox it and wash my hands given the slim chance that the box is laden w/ virus.

jane__ny

I rarely see the delivery person. If I'm home, they ring the doorbell and I go out and yell "thank you." They are usually already in their truck. I've never ran into a delivery person at my door. They just drop the packages and run back to their trucks. If I'm in the yard and I see them, I wave and yell, 'thank you!

If someone comes to my door and rings the bell, I can see out my door if someone is standing there, and I also have a Ring doorbell so I can look on my phone to see who it is. I keep a package of disposable blue masks on a table by the door to put on in case a sales person or neighbor comes to the door to speak with me.

That is rare now in this day and age, but I keep masks by the door in case. Otherwise, I haven't had any problems with deliveries. Just don't answer the door. Get your packages when the truck leaves.

Jane

functionthenlook

With the weather turning cold I'm usually inside when they put the packages on the front porch or by the garage. In the nice weather when I'm outside I will take the package, but more than likely if I am outside I am working and ain't going to drop everything. Plus they want in and out fast and ain't going to wait until I walk from wherever I am in the yard. I just wave and yell thank you and they drop it on the porch.

Just don't go to meet them, and continue working and they drop the package at you door.

Marilyn_Sue

My delivery people just put my packages on my porch and when I feel like it I go out and get them. Usually I open the package out there too. I have a long drive and live in the country in a woods.

Sue

arcy_gw

Sounds like the REAL issue is you being outside. All my delivers happen as dump and go--some ring the bell before they take off. This is exhausting--but please remember closer than 6ft/no masks/10+minutes is where the DANGER is.

Debby

I'm a receiver in a very busy drugstore. I accept up to 20 deliveries a day face-to-face. Sometimes my mask is on my face, most times it's a chin holder. Knock on wood, 8 months since our first case I'm okay. Mind you lately, there's a few delivery guys who just creep me out and I make sure I have mine up to my nose..... According to health services, you need to be in direct contact with a person for about 15 minutes face to face so I'm really not overly concerned. Just now and then as a precaution. How often do I wash and sanitize my hands? When I remember and that's usually after I use the washroom. hahahaha Or if I'm asked to relieve a cashier so she can take a break, I sanitize after every cash paying customer, or if someone hands me their points card from either their wallet or key fob. I also try to sanitize the counter after every customer but that's more for the customer to feel better, than for me.

nicole___

I'm not home or stay inside when deliveries are happening. Things are dumped on the front porch. Sometimes hidden behind a column...sometimes...very out-in-the-open. No problems so far.

I've had several people kiss me on the cheek. I've still got a killer headache and sniffles. They lost my covid test. Went in "again" to take another one yesterday. ☺ Maybe I'm the one they should be avoiding..? right.

rob333 (zone 7a)

I leave a sign on the porch railing asking to leave it in the chair, after having put it in the notes to leave it on the porch. When I pick up curbside at the grocery and call to let them know I am there, I ask if they can put everything in the trunk including the receipt. They seem more than happy to comply. I think they too want to avoid contact.

Alisande

I'm in a rural setting. I have a large mailbox so I can ship packages out of it and receive packages in it, but lots of my deliveries are too big to fit so they're left on the porch. I'm almost always in the house. I often open my door when the delivery person is a good distance away heading back to his truck, and yell, "Thank you!"

The one exception was a couple of months ago, when I ordered a bicycle for my son's birthday. It arrived unexpectedly early, while my son and I were outside in my front yard selling a guitar speaker cabinet to a Craigslist buyer. We wore masks, and were not at at all close to the buyer, but my immediate concern was that my son might see the package, which was unmistakably a bike. Fortunately, he had his back to the FedEx truck.

The delivery man put the bike on my porch, which would soon be in full view of my son. The package was way too heavy for me to move, so I quickly went over and asked if he could put it in my house. He readily agreed, so I went inside first and asked him to leave it against a piece of furniture close to the door. That was a first.

marilyn_c

The only delivery I get is hay. I started having it delivered because it is 3 string bales that weigh 95 to 100 lb each and it was very hard for me to unload and stack. The guy backs his trailer into the barn and unloads and stacks it for me.

Rose Pekelnicky

My packages are left on my porch. I am usually inside, especially now that it's cold. They don't ring the bell, just put them on the porch and get back in the truck and leave. One day I was in my garden when the FedEx truck drove in my driveway. I looked up and told him to just put it on the porch and thanked him.

lisaam

Older story from a neighbor but some of you may want to put it into practice now. UPS guy left a note saying "dog has package"

Embothrium

Those banking on brief - or less than 10 minute - exposure to the exhalations of what may be an infected person being an assurance of impunity are taking quite a chance.

The surface area of an adult human's lungs is the size of a football field. Enough air to reach all of that surface is taken in and then blown out each time.

Lars

My deliveries are all left on the stoop, whether in L.A. or Cathedral City, unless they are sent via USPS and will fit in my mailbox. Sometimes in L.A. packages that will fit in the mailbox are thrown onto my stoop, and I have videos to prove it!

hallngarden

Main delivery I receive , my Forteo injection needles. Delivery likes for you to sign that you have received. I have time that he will leave, so I have note on door that I will mail the receipt in box signed very promptly. The regular delivery guys know I don’t walk out. But when they have new driver , makes them uneasy that I don’t sign. Always make sure I am here , very expensive Med. Not something that someone could use unless they had osteoporosis.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Room of the Day Room of the Day: A Laundry So Cheery, Wash Day Is Wonderful
Pretty paint and playful touches banish chore-day blahs in a laundry room designed for a magazine’s Idea House
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: See a 30-Day Makeover of a Manhattan Living Room
This rental unit in a newly renovated Garment District building gets dressed for success in a New York minute
Full Story