SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leazilee

Need help with lighting in dining room open to entryway.

leazilee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking for ideas to improve the lighting in my dining room, which also houses the front door.

The front door opens directly into my dining room. The room is 18.5 x 19.5 and has vaulted ceilings. There is a large ceiling fan in the center of the room and a couple recessed lights to the right of the fan. I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and will have the ceilings refinished in the dining room, great time to move light fixtures.

This room is in the center of the house. I have attached a few photos and a drawing of the space. With this room being the center of the house it is hard to center the table and allow comfortable traffic flow. When walking in the front door the hallway to the left goes to 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. The kitchen and living room are to the right of the dining room. The stairway to walkout basement is other side of wall shown in photo with dog, I had a buffet along that wall previously. This room was set up as a living room at one time but we never used it. The room to the right is larger and works nicely as a living room. I tried swapping them since it felt more natural to have the dining room off to the side but didn't like the flow. I could not find any pictures pre remodeling so the room is a mess.

In my mind I think placing the table to the right side of the room will allow traffic to flow in the front door and both to the hallway as well as around the table and into the rest of the house.

My husband doesn't want to get rid of the ceiling fan, he would have one in every room of the house if I agreed. I thought about a light swagged to the right of the room, over the dining table. OR raising the ceiling fan (maybe using a lighter colored fan that would blend in with the ceiling?) and installing more recessed lights? I am open to any ideas. I am unsure and this is the space that I have to work with. I would love some ideas to improve it, not looking to change the ceiling heights and don't have a huge budget. I have an electrician available while working on the kitchen, could spend 1K on new fixtures if it would better the space.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz