SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rz786

Replacing new basic builder kitchen with third-party option post-close

Raheel
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello!

We are building a house thru a semi-custom builder in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The house is being constructed and overall we love it, however we aren't too keen on the builder's kitchen options for cabinetry, countertops, or flooring.

We priced out various upgrades to get the kitchen as-close-as-possible to what we truly want (however it's still not remotely close to our 'vision'), and the price for all those upgrades through the builder ends up being $40k+ (options priced were cabinet uppers, a couple floating shelves, quartz countertops and matching backsplash, waterfall island, and adding pots/pans drawers in a couple places in lieu of pots/pans drawers). This made our jaws drop because it seems overpriced for what you get, and we don't think it would be "worth it" to spend such a large amount of money on something we don't even truly like at the end of the day.

I am considering sticking with the builder's very basic (included/"free") options and swapping out cabinetry, countertop, and flooring after closing. I would want to keep the appliances, as I'm happy with what's offered through the builder (stainless steel kitchenaid cooktop, microwave, oven, range hood [not pictured] and subzero fridge), which I hope will help to contain costs. Also, if possible, I plan to re-use the builder's cabinetry elsewhere to minimize waste (i.e. the garage or laundry room).

What the builder offers:

The "basic" look offered by our builder looks similar to what's shown in the picture below, however with:

• Oak or Knotty Alder standard Shaker cabinets
  • Spotty granite countertops
  • Standard flooring is tile
  • I don't recall if backsplash was required in order to close, but I don't plan to get any if I don't have to.
  • The cabinet builder has pretty abyssal reviews, so I hesitate to upgrade through a builder if it results in such poor quality cabinetry.

What we're looking for:

Modern cabinetry (slab style?) that also incorporates the wood look without looking like it's from the 80s. Waterfall island (open to granite and quartz, but no spotty granite). Cabinet uppers with windows. Light colored wood flooring. Would not be changing layout, plumbing, or electrical at all.

Has anyone does something similar, and if so, what is a reasonable price range to expect? Prices seem to be so all over the place that I'm having trouble figuring out if this is something we'll be able to accomplish or if this is just a pipe dream.

Additionally, when doing something like this, I assume that flooring has to be done at the same time as the cabinetry/countertops--does anyone know if that is not the case?

We plan to be living here forever (if not forever, at least for the foreseeable next few decades). The kitchen is one place where we don't want to "settle", hence our reluctance to go with the builders offerings.

Other relevant info:

We absolutely have to have the builder install the basics, otherwise they won't let us close on the house. We can't use our own company for the kitchen. So the only option is to gut the builder kitchen.

Comments (8)