SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

Put landscape fabric underneath leaf mold pile?

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm starting to make leaf mold and have the bin and bagged leaves ready. But I noted that on the BBC Gardeners' World web page here for making leaf mold, they suggest as step #1 -

Cut a piece of weed-smothering membrane to about 1m², allowing a little extra at the edges to tuck around the chicken wire. Use it to line the base of the heap to stop roots and weeds invading your leaf mould and rendering it unusable.

Someone I spoke to confirms that she did have a serious problem with roots reaching upwards into her leaf pile and because of that she ended up being able to use only a small amount of the mold. And in the past when I've purchased finished mulch or compost from a landscaper and had to store some of it temporarily in my yard, the trees nearby were fast to send roots upwards to start gobbling it. So I take this warning seriously, especially since the leaf mold bin is located right underneath a maple tree. I know all the reasons not to use landscaper fabric in a flower bed, but this particular use seems pretty important.

Can someone recommend a particular fabric I can use for this purpose?

Comments (18)