SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vobeius

Contractor wants to lay vinyl plank over uneven subflooring

vobeius
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I keep coming back to this with the contractor and just have a bad feeling that I'm not going to happy with the job once they get to it. Here's the situation...

The house is old and some of the floor needed to be completely removed and replaced. It is now plywood even with the original wood subfloor. On top of that is carpet and vinyl sheet that will be removed - I assume down to the wood like the rest of the floor. The problem is in the kitchen there are layers of subfloor under the vinyl sheet. There is a significant "hump" at the threshold.

I attempted to remove the layers just to see if it was possible and I don't even see how they would accomplish it since it's glued and nailed a million times and splinters off. I think they are planning to just remove the vinyl only and patch the one place where there used to be cabinets to the original wood and then lay the vinyl plank.

They are telling me the vinyl plank is forgiving enough to go over the hump just fine but I have my doubts. Also, I'm not very happy to put in all new, uneven floors if there's a way to rectify it. So, what should I do? Have them completely cut out the floor and put down plywood on top of the joists like in the other parts so it's even? Stop the vinyl plank at the threshold and just replace the vinyl sheet with something thin and give up my dream of continuous flooring? :(

Comments (7)