SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_saltzman

What can we do to give this a rustic/cabin look?

Sue
3 years ago

We bought this house with amazing views from the living room windows. We are willing to add wood, stone, remove shelves, add paint to make this look like a woodsy retreat. We would also like to have a large TV next to the fireplace somewhere, but not above it. Thanks!

Comments (72)

• Allison Rogers
    3 years ago

Housegal, do you know who makes the wallpaper in your first post in this thread? I love it.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Just found it:

https://www.litfad.com/cool-birch-tree-mural-wallpaper-for-accent-wall-pastel-brown-personalized-size-available-s-260110.html?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAiA4o79BRBvEiwAjteoYF55up1-sTFWPp3g1WZowL88RrnFpnjORRdkFJG5o5jrnriRzlzQJRoCes4QAvD_BwE

I suggested the wallpaper as a compromise between the house style and the rustic direction she wanted to go in. I don't think the wallpaper would be right for a desert setting. The OP needs to connect interiors with her great view--desert, Western sun, clear big, blue skies, boulders, etc. in art work and colors.

Now that we all know the house is in Arizona, then I think the images Beth and Deco show--white with a lot of wood rustic pieces, white walls, tile--will get the OP the feeling she wants.

Sue thanked housegal200
  • Related Discussions

Front door color for our rustic beach cabin?

Q

Comments (58)
    I love your beach cabin and location! Your door color is great, too, and you don't need to do anything different about your cushion or pillows. ETA I'm going hunting at a flea market in a few hours for a rustic coffee table for my future front porch - something like yours would be a great idea. Friends of mine are giving me a couple of rocking chairs that they'd gotten for free, but which don't work at their place.
    ...See More

decorating a rustic farmhouse/Cabin style home

Q

Comments (27)
    Here is a home with a mix of white and wood trim - I would leave the beautiful trim wood, but if there are rooms with cheaper wood trim, those could go white. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Pacific-Grove-CA/fsba,fsbo,fore,cmsn_lt/pf,mmm_pt/house_type/19323966_zpid/33300_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/36.65933,-121.861554,36.568252,-121.980858_rect/12_zm/? If you have solid wood doors, don't paint them, though do what you like to hollow core or MDF doors. Wood with white trim is a pretty combo: Painted wood panel doors can be a pain to upkeep - the painted door show more scratches and the wood moves with changes in temp and humidity causing hairline cracks at the joints. Wood paneled doors are classic - less susceptible to changes in paint / style trends I have a similar kitchen which I did in a vintage style without painting the cabinets. I used the Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style farm sink which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet: https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356 https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784291 If you don't want to do a farm sink, but give the feel of one, curtain the sink base. This is my basement kitchenette which I put together with some of my original kitchen cabinets (refinished) and my old cast iron sink. https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573 Some inexpensive ideas for decor are vintage china plates (I spent less then a few dollars on many of mine), botanical art, floral art and vintage finds.
    ...See More

What can we do to improve the looks of the house & landscaping?

Q

Comments (32)
    Here is a picture looking out from the front porch of our home. We were working there last night and the sunset was beautiful so I snapped a picture! You can see there are a lot of trees already on the property so didn't know if that would change anyone's ideas for landscaping. As much as we loved Dig Doug's idea, having a tree there would block this view so maybe a bush could replace this?!
    ...See More

We are going for something rustic. We want to paint the outside, front

Q

Comments (8)
    I like Yardvaark’s sketch and agree that landscaping and a new walk will help. For house color, I would want a color on the siding that is more brown and less greige to work better with the brick. Or look at some of the colors that were traditionally used for Craftsmen homes. It won’t look like a Craftsmen, but the colors will most likely work with your brick. You can try out paint colors by uploading the photo of your house to the website of Sherwin Williams (or likely other large paint companies). I would paint the garage door the same color as the siding, whatever you choose for that.
    ...See More
  • Patricia Earehart
    3 years ago

If you have a handyman husband with the skills and dream, you can achieve that warm, earthy feel but it requires demolition of the tile floors. (Labor intensive and extremely dirt job). Warm wood color floors will give you that first punch of “woodsy” feel. Painting the trim and woodwork a warm and inviting neutral instead of stark white will add to the look you’re going for. Don’t demo arches. The softness of arches add to the comfort factor. The cabinet and shelves to the right of your fireplace can be replaced with a rustic looking TV lift cabinet. Out of sight most of the time. Shallow shelves above can hold knickknacks or try no shelves and a beautiful piece of art that reflects your taste. The face of the cabinets to the left of your fireplace can be replaced with the same wood your tv cabinet is made from. Paint the interior of your entrance door a dark rich color and place a rustic foyer console to greet people as they enter. There are many stone options to reface your fireplace. Add a mantle of rustic wood or reclaimed barn beam. Of course there are more options like trimming windows in wood, adding beams (faux or real) depending on your budget. Earth toned drapes, and large brown leather furniture to kick back in and watch television. Most of these changes are cosmetic. The wood floor will be the most dramatic and costly change. If you have a limited budget...start with changing the stark white woodwork. Add drapes, they soften and warm the starkness. A couple of large area rugs to cover most of the blue/gray carpet. Don’t forget mood lighting, amber light adds to warmth.

Sue thanked Patricia Earehart
  • jholmesct
    3 years ago

I say use a pale blue, light gray, and hearty dark oak color palate! And ignore the negative people!

Sue thanked jholmesct
  • Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

"a rustic looking TV lift cabinet."

I have not seen one of those in decades. Are they still being made? Between that and the "if you have a handyman husband" comment, I did not continue with the rest of the recommendations in that post.

• User
    3 years ago

Now, now, 80 year olds use the internet too. As do people stuck in a time warp.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Hi Sue, I'm a bit late to this party but have lived in AZ so I do understand your wanting your home to be more rustic as that is what Prescott is and its location up in the mountains- not the desert as some may be thinking.

It sounds like you are new to owning a home? If so, the best thing to do is gather ideas for the whole space, taking those ideas and decide exactly what ones you want to do. Then get pricing, set your budget, and then figure out the order that you'll have those things done based on your budget and how they affect other things that you will be doing. If you have a plan in place before you start ripping things up, in the long run you won't have regrets from your choices, your budget won't get out of hand and you'll have a lot less stress and a bit more realistic timeline as to when the project should be completed.

Beth did ask what the exterior of your house is and does the style lean towards rustic? If not, is this something that doesn't matter to you or down the road you'll tackle that to become more rustic?

There is a wall dividing the livingroom and the entry. Do you know if that is load bearing? I don't see where it serves any purpose and it will give the room more of an open feel if it is taken down.

Elsewhere would you be able to square off the arch openings throughout. They don't offer any visual design points and makes the ceiling seem lower.

Sue thanked tedbixby
  • shwshw
    3 years ago

Following...

• PRO
    Melissa Gogolinski
    3 years ago

This looks like a large beautiful house with a lot of potential. As well, you seem a bit unsure of your direction. I would highly recommend hiring a designer in your area. A good designer can help you get the look you really want and also help you avoid costly mistakes.

Sue thanked Melissa Gogolinski
  • claire larece
    3 years ago

fireplace

beams

walls

kitchen

Sue thanked claire larece
  • hmarney
    3 years ago

Google Whistler real estate. True cabin/cottage feel in many homes. Look no further.

Sue thanked hmarney
  • ravensmom13
    3 years ago

Hello, Sue...Congrats on your new home !! I'm at the opposite end of the Country from you, in MAINE !! So I KNOW the rustic / cabin look you're talking about well....BUT....homes are built in different styles in different parts of the USA to take into consideration the CLIMATE where they are......here in Maine, our Winters can be harsh and when temps go into the 20's and below, we NEED physical and "visual warmth".....when YOUR temps can get to over 100 daily, those "visually warming" touches can be overbearing.....that said.......EMBRACE what your home is offering for YOUR climate.....tile floors DO come in "hardwood-looking" styles, and that may be a suitable option for you IF you want to go to the expense of ripping up existing tiles and changing them.....Personally, I think the "bones" of your home ( for it's area ) are fine, and would only add "decorating touches" to give you a "warmer" feel, yet still embrace it's "Southwestern" style...think of putting an area rug in living room with Aztec design, utilize a sectional in light-colored fabric with matching Aztec-style throw pillows....a recliner-style chair with a throw blanket in one of the colors in the rug...that sort of thing....by making SMALL changes for NOW, you'll get the "vibe" you're looking for at minimum expense.....LIVE in your home for MINIMUM of 6 months, to get ideas on what works in it and what you'd like to change.....It WILL "speak" to you during this time, and you'll be better equipped to proceed. I recently painted my living room walls in Mesa Tan by Sherwin Williams....a "warming" neutral....and I use pinks and yellows with it as accent pieces in Summer, and burgandy accent pieces in Fall and Winter.....works for ME because we have changes in temps and seasons....see what I mean?? Arizona has awesome local artisans and I'm sure you'll find some great furniture and accent pieces that will work for you !! Good luck, and keep us updated !!

Sue thanked ravensmom13
  • judygilpin
    3 years ago

First, get rid of the blue carpet and the tiled floors . I think the wood floors would give you a warmer and more consistent look. Second, there is a great designer shop in downtown Prescott. Get suggestions from them, rather than ask everyone here. This will just confuse you more.

Sue thanked judygilpin
  • debc25
    3 years ago

Could you go with wood look tile instead of wood if a wood floor might be an issue in Prescott.

Sue thanked debc25
  • wermsrus
    3 years ago

Consider closing the entry arch and having a television there. The fireplace could be a reading area, with swivel chairs to view fire, tv, or windows. Change the carpet to an earthy tone. Get light fixtures and furnishings of your new style, and this space will look and function well. If you have a budget for bigger changes, a designer and inspiration photos are key to being happy with the outcome.

Sue thanked wermsrus
  • Stevi B
    3 years ago

You have received a lot of good ideas. I would add changing the floors but use a luxury vinyl plank. They look great and can be applied right over your existing tile, saving time and money. I did this recently in my home and love them!

Sue thanked Stevi B
  • stevemichel
    3 years ago

Wood & more wood, mix types.. Granite counters & iron railings. Some accent drywall with color. No popcorn ceilings. Biggest windows towards your view allowable by structure. Thar ya go. sm

Sue thanked stevemichel
  • User
    3 years ago

Hi Sue

I would definitely keep the tile floors, and do a mix of area rugs for color and texture.. I would take away at least one set of shelves from one side of the fireplace and maybe replace it with floor to ceiling stacked firewood. If I was going to splash out and spend money, my first choice would be adding faux wood beams to the ceiling

Rustic Living Room · More Info

and I would consider painting the window grills a dark color

Club Roland · More Info

Because of the arches in the framework of the rooms, it might be helpful to think of "Mediterranean rustic" rather than America rustic.

Princeton Residence 2 · More Info

Sue thanked User
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

Start with a plan. You can collect an album of pictures from this site and then whittle those down to a final group of inspiration photos. If you will be moving into this home in the next few months, you will not have time to do what will be required to make this home physically“rustic”. You may have time to select a color scheme and have painting, flooring, and carpeting done.
    You have come to the conclusion that you don’t know what you are doing (your 11/4/20 post). That may be completely accurate if this is your first home or you haven’t been involved in decorating and/or remodeling before. Too many people rush into it and don’t realize they are out of their depth until they are thousands of dollars down the wrong road. Your light-bulb moment has saved you!
    If your budget can include a decorator, he/she can help you develop your plan and use your budget wisely. If you are relocating to a new town, you will need to find a new painting contractor.
    If you have the luxury of having your new place painted and new flooring/carpet/hardwood installed before moving in, go ahead and do that much, but have a plan in mind and in your ideabook for any other changes.
    Your new house isn’t rustic in any way. Is your furniture rustic or are you planning to buy new furniture? If you are not planning any really messy remodeling, it IS possible to live there while work is being done.

Sue thanked felizlady
  • Julia
    3 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful new home! If you can afford such a big change, I think dark hardwood floors would go a long way in warming it up. A wood beam mantle or stacked stone on the fireplace. Then use warm color rugs and decor to match your geographic region to tie it in to the area. These are all changes that you want done before moving in though, so that might not be feasible. Good luck! Post pics when you are done!

Sue thanked Julia
  • Nick Platt
    3 years ago

These are pictures of our living room which started as a blank sheet, much like what you have. We added lots of wood and stone. As has been mentioned there are flooring options which can go over your tile but I’m not sure that’s needed. If the rest your room gets darker, you might need that light colored tile. I’d start by rebuilding the fireplace surround with custom woodwork and wood shutters over your windows(wow lots of windows). If you put a tv at the fireplace you’ll want to be able to control the light coming thru the windows. Most of all have fun building what you want.

Sue thanked Nick Platt
  • sandeeteedee
    3 years ago

Wow, lots of comments! Im glad you broadened your descriptions of what you want. and are getting some great pictures of more south-west ideas. Buy a few design magazines devoted to your area and cut out everything you like, not just things that will work in your house. Get a whole pile and start whittling it down to things that will work or inspire you that it would work for you. Visit home tours and steal ideas. If you see a house you really love, contact a designer because they will help you focus and it doesn't have to cost a lot for a few consultations. I think you have a huge space there and that is intimidating but you can visually change that by furniture and wall/floor treatment, Also consider what you already have and want to re-use that may be perfect with recovering or refinishing. Your aim is to get a home that fits in your neighborhood, is stylish and comfortable and makes you happy every time you walk in. Work with what you have and the features that you do like- the beautiful views and the space. Forget curtains and window treatments other than what is necessary for sun control. Line those arches with beautiful Mexican tiles and take your colors from those. First thing I would do is reface or paint out that kitchen as the wood cabinets are pretty dated. I know once you get focused on what will work and what you can work around it will all come together for you. But first, get your PLAN concentrated down so you don't make any costly mistakes.

Sue thanked sandeeteedee
  • janzian
    3 years ago

Keep the tile floors. Reface the kitchen cabinets with the wood look you are after. Head for Arizona rustic, rugged and rocky, with some Talavera accents. Stay in harmony.

Sue thanked janzian
  • Sue
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is the outside of the house. It needs a lot of work, too. I am thinking of adding wood garage doors and a wood front door, adding tube vents in the peaks, and painting the trim white and the house gray. Small pine trees will be planted on both sides of the steep driveway and the bushes closest to the house replaced with not so perfectly trimmed ones. I am not a fan of river rock, so may have it removed. The flagpole is gone.

• kathyroberts8
    3 years ago

If you need to keep the existing tile, try to work WITH it and your kitchen cabinets to get a more cohesive look. The built-ins around the fireplace add visual clutter, compete with the fireplace and the windows, and don't hold a modern tv. I would remove them and replace the blue carpet with a neutral, textured carpet that complements the tile. A rustic tv console, perhaps in deep turquoise, on the right of the fireplace, and a tall, green plant in a terracotta or turquoise pot on the left, with art over the fireplace. Linen colored sofa facing the windows with a multi-colored throw and accent pillows. Terracotta leather chair, or two if there is space, facing the fireplace/tv. Oak and iron coffee and side tables. Low rustic bench or armless chairs below the windows. Woven wood blinds, maybe, for a more warm and rustic lean? Iron or dark oak barstools at the island and add some ORB pulls to the kitchen cabinets. The counter tops look gray on my monitor and clash with the floor tile and cabinets. A stone without so much gray would work much better to tie all of the big elements together. In the dining area, paint over the green in the same color as the rest of the space. A rustic iron and/or wood chandelier over the table, a sideboard with open shelves over it, colorful small accents, and a patterned area rug would help make it more inviting and not feel so disjointed from the rest of the space. Replace the light in the entry to coordinate with the new DR fixture, and put a rustic console and mirror along the wall there. Paint the inside of the front doors a deep, distressed turquoise. For art and accent pieces, I would try to use terracotta, turquoise, caramel, pine green, etc., colors that are more rustic and that work with the kitchen cabs, and then add iron, wood, baskets, plants, and other natural textures to bring it to life. Some of the pictures in previous posts contain many of those things I am suggesting. I think you have a nice space to work with, but the former owner chose colors and styles that do not work together! Good luck and have fun with your new home!

Sue thanked kathyroberts8
  • User
    3 years ago

first thing to decide about landscaping is whether you enjoy spending time outdoors gardening and maintaining it. If not, hire a pro who will give you a carefree design that makes it cheap to hire someone else to come in every so often to do what little work is needed.

I think the second thing to decide is whether you view the landscaping as the visual frame that showcases your house for passers-by, or whether the landscaping is what you want to look at through your windows from the inside of your house, if you are creating a "view" for yourself, and possibly even a space to enjoy for sitting, gardening, a place to have favorite plants that have personal meaning for you etc. The view for passers-by and the view for you don't have to be at odds with each other, but it helps give direction and aim to the project so you are the one who is happiest with the result.

I've lived places where the happiness I got from the landscaping was coming home, looking at my house from the street and really liking the changes I made. Other times my favorite thing about a finished landscape job was being inside my house looking out the window and the colors and shapes I had added.

Either way, it's worth to work with a local pro who understands what grows well where, water run-off issues, etc. I've found great landscapers by walking around ny neighborhood and asking people whose landscaping appealed to me for recommendations.

Sue thanked User
  • Toni McCormick
    3 years ago

Sue, to echo what others have said:

1) peruse Houzz, Pinterest, and magazines to identify and define what you want in style and living space. Notate what appeals to you whether its color, texture, space etc.

If you're still unsure of how to incorporate the look you like:

2) look for a designer-- Houzz has some good articles on how to choose and what the cost would be. The MORE you're able to show them what you like the more cost effective it will be. If you're looking to do ANYTHING more than "décor" a designer can not only achieve a vision you wouldn't even think of, but avoid potential construction pitfalls (like taking down walls) and cost you$$.

3) As others said, (and I know its difficult to do) take your time. Learn how your house works and feels.

Good luck, keep us posted on your ideas and projects!

Sue thanked Toni McCormick
  • Lynne
    3 years ago

You really do need to consider where you live. I assume Arizona is warm year round, which affects the landscaping. I would consult a professional regarding native plants, low maintenance and drought tolerant. The house looks beautiful but as one pro mentioned, the climate affects wood, so I would go the wood look tiles, with area rugs for color. If you changed the doors and garage doors to wood, is that an issue with the climate, because you could get the look with other materials that would do better in the heat. I would ask for help from a designer too, even if you pay for a few hours of their time to give you ideas and opinions on materials, furniture and it's placement.

Sue thanked Lynne
  • SUSAN Bauer
    3 years ago

Where are the windows? Is it just me or are there almost no windows!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

There's windows on both sides of the front door -- one of them a nice large expanse of windows.

• Gwendolyn Hayes
    3 years ago

I think your house can look very classic Arizona mountain home. The wood garage door and a wood statement front door would look great. Don't paint the house gray! That trend is tired and worn out. If you really want to paint it- not sure you need to- I'd go with a softer linen white or tan.

Others have posted beautiful photos for your interiors. As seen, you don't need to change the arches. I might even lower them to make the dining area more intimate. And you might consider wood floors right up to the kitchen footprint, but keep the tile in the kitchen work zone and at the front door/entry area for snowy days. The white built-ins could be painted, but I'd have the TV cabinet removed and replaced. And the fireplace needs attention of course. Tile or stone, but make sure everything is cohesive in your open space.

If you want to go big you might consider adding arches over the kitchen island and entryways. A fully open kitchen isn't always wonderful. It depends on how much you cook and your style of cooking. Invest in a super powerful but quiet exhaust hood for the kitchen. It will save the rest of your house from grease and odors.

Finally, if you can afford a designer I'd go that route. If you love decorating it can be fun to do it yourself, but not everyone enjoys the process. At my age having someone come in a do it for me is VERY attractive.

Best wishes on your new home.

Sue thanked Gwendolyn Hayes
  • Kari Weber
    3 years ago

perhaps remove the upper shelves beside the fireplace and a large mantle across both areas, river rock and the TV beside.

Sue thanked Kari Weber
  • judygilpin
    3 years ago

@ SUSAN Bauer, What do you think those glass things are that span the entire length of the living room???????

• thiskidd
    3 years ago

Hi Sue, I think maybe you are after some ideas to warm up and cozy the space, that said I would recommend planning changes in stages and giving yourself some time to live in the space before diving into a huge remodel.

I would remove all the upper shelves on both sides of the fireplace and make the cabinetry all the same height as the cabinets currently on both sides of the fireplace, then place your TV on/over the cabinets to the right of the fireplace. The cabinets will give you a place to hide other equipment (i.e. routers, wi-fi, etc) out of sight.

You show minimal furniture so not sure if you are planning on purchasing more or just adding to the current items, but I would add 2 area rugs, one in the dinning area (or at least a runner if you don't want carpet under the dining table). And another area rug over the gray carpet for the couch to rest on, keeping a minimum of 2-3 ft from the fireplace/wall/tile and a length to about the 2nd window post away from the fireplace to create a seating island area that brings warmth, color, and texture and breaks up the long space. Then perhaps add a game table with couple of accent chairs to define/create a usable 2nd space for reading or alternate activity between the entry wall and the seating island.

You could add a river-rock or other very textured stone facade from ceiling to base of the fireplace if you want to get it more rustic, but I would keep the fireplace footing with its paint/molding/tile as it currently is.

If the dining table has an extension board I would keep it in to expand the table and fill the space more, if you have the option. If not, maybe add a sideboard with/without hutch. Then add art and/or photo collage to walls.

The entry could use a bench and/or console table with rug/runner.

If you enjoy plants a tall potted mother-in-law-tongue or ficus tree might be good options to bring in another nature element.

I think these are quick easy options to get you started. Hope you will post pictures when you get some of the changes done. Enjoy your new home!

Sue thanked thiskidd
  • ravensmom13
    3 years ago

Hi Sue...this "Maine gal" jumping in again...LOL...I have learned thru experience that although I may not really "like" something, there are times it has been done for a reason.....thanks for posting pics of outside of your gorgeous home !! Seeing that it's on a steep hillside, those river rocks are there for a good reason....drainage. The area by the mailbox allows any flow of water from a massive rainstorm ( and I know you do get them occasionally ! ) to "drain" into that area and not flow directly into the street.....they also WORK to hold the soil from washing away on the hillside...perhaps if you checked with a landscaper and found a few "accent plants" that could be interspersed here and there it would "soften the blow" visually for you, but not disrupt the JOB those rocks are there to do?? just a thought...

Light colors reflect the light and dark colors absorb it....the reason lighter colors are seen in hot climates....wood as a "material" does NOT do well in your climate ( the wood dries out and cracks ).....BUT you eventually COULD replace the garage doors and front doors with wood-LOOK ones in a dark brown which would please you visually but still WORK for your climate....and a soft color for the home such as Mesa Tan by Sherwin Williams would look great...in MY opinion....

On the inside.....once again...reasons for everything...LOL...I'm ( personally ) NOT a fan of ceiling fans...however in YOUR climate, central air is crucial and vents are at ceiling height of walls, so fans are used to PUSH that cool air down to circulate thru the area...THEY are needed, BUT you can change out the LIGHTS at the bottom of them to make your rooms have a more "rustic" look / feel....learn to work WITH things but "tweak" them as to styling...haha....I would ask you to please scroll back up to beginning of ALL these comments to where Beth H posted 4 pics......Numbers 2 and 4 are typical "rustic / cabin" types and AWESOME examples of things you could do in your home.....A chandelier similar to one in #4 could be used in your front entry.....the fireplaces in these pics are done in stone....YOUR fireplace could be "faced" in similar stone and with addition of a wood mantle, would achieve the look you want....you COULD even take it a step further and "face" the bottom of your breakfast counter ( since it faces the living room ) with the same stone, thereby "unifying" the space.....addition of dark wood ceiling beams would be great, too !! Real wood floors would dry out and look horrid in time....but there are tiles that LOOK just like hardwood floors, and I would replace the wall to wall carpeting with those to achieve the look you desire....For visual continuity, LOSE the "built-ins" to either side of fireplace and replace them with matching cabinets that are LOW, so you can put a large TV on the one to the right side.....You COULD also make the wall opposite the fireplace ( other side of front hall ) a "statement" wall with the addition of wood "planks" and THAT would give you the "rustic" look, too.....the reason Pic #4 looks sooooo cozy and has a rustic feel is the addition of "accents"....lots of pillows and a throw over the couch or a chair....you have the "bones" of the space, just need to "tweak" it with YOUR personal touches here and there !!

Sue thanked ravensmom13
  • User
    3 years ago

Lake Home Living · More Info

I wouldn't change your fireplace this radically, but just showing you how adding wood throughout the room could give in an earthy feel

Sue thanked User
  • tedbixby
    3 years ago

I think you are on the right track with changing out the garage doors and the front door, too. As far as painting the house gray, you may want to go to one of the paint manufacturer's web-sits such as Benjamin Moore as you can download a photo of your house and "paint" the house different colors. You may find that unless the gray is more in the dark category that it won't lend itself to being a rustic feel.

I'm not sure what you mean by tube vents but I think if you add cedar accents to the house it will feel a bit more like what you want to achieve. The other thing is that you may want to talk to a contractor and discuss what it would take to get replace the stucco "porch" entrance with something maybe like the 2nd photo.

Cedar accents in the peaks.

ranch houses with cedar accents - Google Search · More Info

ranch houses with cedar accents - Google Search · More Info

Sue thanked tedbixby
  • tedbixby
    3 years ago

What color is your roof? It's hard to tell and it looks like it might be a tiled one?

• kelthulu
    3 years ago

Ok, if you're in Arizona, even in the mountainous areas, you're going to need drought-tolerant landscaping - definitely agree with the suggestion to consult with a landscaper who specializes in native plants. I also agree not to get rid of the rocks in your yard, as they probably do facilitate some drainage.

Regarding the outside house color, I think if you paint it a gray it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. I love the idea of replacing the garage door and front door with something wooden - it will look stunning. Along those lines, what about not painting the house, but painting the TRIM a darker color? Forgive the completely inexpert photoshopping here, but this is what I'm thinking.

I also think a wooden pergola that matches the trim over the garage would be a nice, rustic but not too much element. You could also add crossbeams near the front entrance.

Sue thanked kelthulu
  • kelthulu
    3 years ago

Regarding the interior, I agree that in AZ you're not going to want hardwood, but I think if you wanted to make things more rustic, you could go with a darker wood-look tile throughout - I'd bring it through the living area and into the kitchen for better flow. I'd consider the impact repainting the walls in a single, warm color would have on the overall feel of the house. I would then add some Southwestern patterned area rugs in rich, warm colors: warm reds, terracottas, rich teals, browns - earth tones and jewel tones mixed.

I would consider building out the mantle with a single, dark wood beam. Also consider painting the built-ins a color that would recede for now, but maybe replacing them later.

Beyond that, look to your furnishings and wall art. For a dining table, err on something chunkier and more hand-made looking. I saw someone suggested some leather upholstery - great idea! I would suggest a terracotta hue or a caramel color. You don't have to make huge structural changes to make this house have more of the vibe you're looking for! Color palette, replacing the flooring for something warmer-looking throughout, area rugs, furnishings and art are going to go a long way and NOT affect your resale value, I think!

Sue thanked kelthulu
  • User
    3 years ago

Just spotted these and thought they might be nice in your dining room if you want something relaxed and rustic in feel

Rizzy Home Loureli Woolen Rug In Blue Color 9'x12' · More Info

Corsica Dark Round Dining Table, Dark Base and Light Top · More Info

You might even be able to get away with very inexpensive chairs like this, with a seat cushion in whatever fabric appeals to you, subtle or a pop.

LumiSource Waco Chair, Vintage Antique Metal, Set of 2 · More Info

or these! ;-)

VHC Brand Cumberland Set Of 6 Chair Pad 51207 · More Info

Sue thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Hi again Sue. Continuing with my project of decorating your house in my spare time, I think you could use a piece like this in your dining room if in your heart you want rustic and not formal

Crafters and Weavers Greenview Loft Sideboard / Hutch · More Info

or this piece, but I would leave the doors open all the time

Ohio Rustic Tall Armoire Wine & Liquor Cabinet · More Info

on the other walls, since I like wine, I would put vertical wine racks and fill them with wine, or do a whole display like this

Brambleton Garden District · More Info

Sue thanked User
  • Sue
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The roof of the house has gray cement tiles. This, along with the gray rock terraces, is why I was leaning towards painting the house gray with white trim. I have received and appreciate the varied suggestions, however, and am willing to try something different.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Play around on one of those manufacturer paint sites. As I think you will find that a contrasted color ( might try greens) will make the house more interesting especially since the house doesn't have any elements that add those interesting details. And if another color doesn't sing to you at least you'll get a good idea that if you want to stay with gray, it will give you an idea of how light or dark you want to go. And it may even be a medium to dark gray that leans towards brown.

Sue thanked tedbixby
  • Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Darkngrey will absorb heat tii

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Too

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Sue's home is not in the desert rather up in the mountains where there are a lot of dark colored homes. It's really a non-issue where she lives. People who live in the valley flock up there in the summer to cool off and they even have snow in the winter. Not a lot but they do get it.

Sue thanked tedbixby
  • ravensmom13
    3 years ago

Hello again, Sue !! Thanks for clarifying the color of the roof tiles as being gray....In MY OPINION ONLY...right now the house appears to be a "beige blob" with visually "heavy" gray roof......LOL...painting the house gray also will turn it into a "gray blob"....LOL...when I see the roof line over the peaks, it appears the trim is white with "gray eyeliner" over them....not a bad thing !! And notice the large rocks in your two rock walls have BOTH rocks with gray and brown in them, same as the river rocks.....that said, I would KEEP the main color of the house the cream it is....choose a gray-brown color and have the garage and front doors painted with THAT color to compliment the roof, and also paint the trim on the windows with that same color, which would mimic the "eyeliner" effect on the peaks....keep other trim on house the white it is......to ME, that would give the home more personality without making major changes......you LIKE "wood", so perhaps choosing a brown tone that has gray "undertones" to it would make the doors appear to be "wood" while still keeping their existing durability qualities.....I agree with tedbixby's suggestion of using either Sherwin William's or Benjamin Moore's app which allows you to download pic of YOUR home, and then try out different colors on different areas of the home, to help you visualize the end result.....try it, have fun with it, and THEN make your decisions!! Good luck !!

Sue thanked ravensmom13
  • tedbixby
    3 years ago

With a bit of imagination, these homes might give you a feel for exterior paint options. Some may not have a gray roof (hard to tell on some) but the paint colors may still work based on the color of your roof.

az ranch house - Google Search · More Info

Page 4 | Marana, AZ Single Family Homes for Sale | realtor.com® · More Info

Page 3 | Marana, AZ Single Family Homes for Sale | realtor.com® · More Info

Page 3 | Marana, AZ Single Family Homes for Sale | realtor.com® · More Info

cream colored stucco ranch house - Google Search · More Info

Sue thanked tedbixby