SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Front door color for our rustic beach cabin?

arlosmom
7 years ago

It's been a while since I've been on the forums...hello again!

I'm hoping for some suggestions for a front door color for our tiny, rustic beach front cabin. The house is 100 years old, very simple, casual, and full of charm and patina. The siding and all trim are painted a medium brown, and we plan to keep it that way. I painted the little wicker sofa on the porch a light tan, and the pillows have tan, cream, brown, rust, and mustard in them. I may add another pillow or two at some point. DH just installed an old screen door, and the front door is a french door. I'll be painting both the same color.

One thought I had for door color is mustard (something along the lines of SW Bosc Pear). I don't want the door to look too matchy with the wicker/pillows, but I don't want it to look too disconnected either. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea of where we are now...as you can see, I didn't fluff pillows or take the tarp off the woodpile or do anything to make it look camera ready. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

And here's our sweet beach, just a stone's throw away:

Comments (58)

• amykath
    7 years ago

I would go with a strong teal. I like Intense teal and Conner's Lakefront by SW.

What a fabulous house and on the beach... WOW!

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far...keep em coming. I pulled out my Ben Moore fan deck to commune with the green grays and the blue grays. I'm not sure.

suzanne_sl, I agree with going with the best color choice for the door; I don't change pillows very often though and expect these to stick around for a while. We love the little sawhorse coffee table. I think it was made by the former owners.

For those of you thinking greeny gray or blue gray, any specific suggestions? I'm with gail618 in that I don't really want to match, but I do know that I don't want a perky, vibrant, happy color. I like saturated colors, but I think being grayed down is key. maddielee, that yellow door is a stunner but I'm not sure it's the one for me.

I'm a little intrigued by the wasabi that rubyclaire suggested. I found a photo of a brown house (not the same brown as we have, but close enough) with a wasabi door and I kinda like it... Plus, we LOVE that the cabin is very wabi sabi, so wasabi seems appropriate, no? LOL.

Waving at you MtnRdRedux! I'm sure you'll be seeing more eye candy soon because I'm also stumped on fabric for kitchen curtains so I'll be posting again soon. I'm glad the sink is happy. I'm thrilled it ended up with someone who loves it.

• Related Discussions

Where to put our front door? Bring me your vision!

Q

Comments (20)
    Actually the new master was a garage originally. Then turned into a unfinished hard-to-access room and the carport isnt original. We had two designers and an engineer come up with the interior master plan. It's going to be an amazing master and we're really excited! The front door is where it has always been! The front room has an amazing view, more spectacular then the pool.
    ...See More

We wish to have help with our Florida beach front sunroom ~10x20

Q

Comments (2)
    Post a picture and extend the HVAC duct to the lanai if you plan to keep the doors open or your AC will never turn off.
    ...See More

Rustic beach floor

Q

Comments (77)
    We have Springfield Oak in at condo my brother rents. We live it and it’s low maintenance! It has been down a year now. My niece put down a different color in her townhouse 2 yrs ago. She has a dog, and one will put it upstairs soon. 😊
    ...See More

Debating Cabinets for our Cabin

Q

Comments (31)
    As Patricia said, ditch the idea of matching appliances. When that expensive fridge goes on the fritz and you try and get a new one to match your cabinets and they no longer have that color or the dyelot is so different from what you have, then what? Additionally, a glass color will NEVER match wood colors. Not going to happen because both reflect light differently, so even if you have the same exact color they will read differently. Go with stainless as suggested or get a panel ready fridge if you want to match it to the cabinets. I vote for a sage green because it's the complement of red on the color wheel and this way it will help play up the cabinets in a positive way.
    ...See More
  • lolauren
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If it was my house, I would go in the blue/green/robin's egg blue/beach glass colors direction and then change out the pillows to match. (Don't get my wrong, the pillows all look lovely on their own, but I agree to match the pillows to the door and not the other way around.) I think anything with a punch of color would work, honestly.... do you really like mustard? or what color makes you happy? I think a beach house front door is a pass to use almost any color that makes your heart happy.

Edited to add a specific color suggestion... https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/46/b6/97/46b6979c9e4d2c80d8586a073bb23b13.jpg
    ; which is similar to Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue...

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Just returned from a few days on the Ore coast...sigh. You lucky duck! Look at the board (maybe on the neighbor's property) that is mossy/lichen covered. That color isn't too far off from the wasabi...it looks great.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Take a look at Sherwin Williams Krypton. It's a fantastic color and very beach vibe relaxing. It is one of the colors I have finally chosen.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

fnb Vardo

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

OMG, I just realized Vardo is a near perfect match to the photo I just posted on conversations! This is a nest in my yard

• theclose
    7 years ago

I love F&B Vardo! It's a new color this year. All the pics I've seen are gorgeous.

• User
    7 years ago

I like something like this. The first one, Pratt & Lambert's Argent.

• sis2two
    7 years ago

I love Nantucket Gray by Benjamin Moore. Glad to see you back on the forum- have missed you!

• Susan Rawlings
    7 years ago

I think a really rich teal would look amazing.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

OMG Mtn, those eggs!!! Perfectly three. Only Nature/Creation can make colors like that.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I guess I'm the only one, but I think a mustard color would look really nice.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    OK, I feel a little like a dunce. I'm traveling and only have my phone with me. It's taken me all day to figure out how to respond with my phone. Thanks to all of you that have responded.

It seems that almost everybody who has commented thinks that the blue or green route is the way to go. I'm still struggling with that and I think maybe I figured out why.

Yes, the house is at the beach and the lot is ocean front, but to me it feels much more like a cabin than anything else. We're tucked back on the lot with old gnarly pine trees surrounding the house. Between that and the covered porch, the house and yard are fairly shady and it feels somewhat secluded. Inside, the floors are vintage wood grain linoleum (that I adore), the kitchen counters are wood painted red, we have a wood stove, etc. The vibe is pure cabin. It just happens to be at the beach.

I've had difficulty with finding blues that work in the past. Blue is hard for me to get right. In general I gravitate to greens (especially what I call the "icky greens"...think olive and chartreuse and other muddy tones), neutrals and brown. Does this change anybody's opinions?. Arrghh, this is hard.
  • arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Olychick, where did you go on the coast? We've explored most of the northern half and I continue to be amazed.

Mtn, those eggs are fabulous. If not a front door, that color would make an amazing throw pillow.

Sisto2, thanks. It's nice to feel remembered.
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

arlosmom, we were at a little secret hideaway I discovered near Manzanita. Heaven on Earth and 2 of the best dinners ever at Blackbird in Manzanita. omg...

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Olychick, Manzanita is just north of us. I love Manzanita!! Did you happen to make it to Hug Point?
  • sis2two
    7 years ago

Besides Nantucket Gray which is a greenish gray, Hampshire Gray sounds like what you may be wanting.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

No, I didn't get there this time. It wasn't that nice the days we were there, so we shopped in Manzanita (Unfurl and a wonderful decor/gift store near the Mexican restaurant, the name escapes me are 2 of my fave stores to visit), drove to Tillamook to visit the Blue Heron French Cheese shop, only to discover their cheese is made in Wisconsin. What??? What a tourist trap rip off! The rest of the time we stayed close to our place - also right on the ocean. Hard to leave at all, even for meals. Oh, we did drive to Cannon Beach to buy wine :-) I am green with envy about your cabin; lucky, lucky you.

Now there's an idea:
    Green with Envy paint!

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ooh, Hampshire Gray is pretty! I've had great luck with most of Ben Moore's historic colors.
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

The only color I have in my house in CT that is not off white is .... Hampshire grey. We used it on the window muntins in our dining room to help make them disappear against the green view. It's the color of our front door, which is a double barn door… And it's also the color of our back door, directly across to a central hall, which is a French door with four large panes. It's the color of our well house, the trim on our little stone house, and our pantry!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I have friends who live in Rockaway Beach.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

We are doing our Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-LakeLousie trip in a few weeks, and I had Cannon Beach on our itinerary, so now I am getting some more good tips!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

arlosmom - We'll be in Hug Point on Labour Day Weekend. My nephew is getting married there. He and his fiance live in Lillooet (north of Vancouver) and think nothing of driving down for the day - a very long drive - as they love it so much there. We've been to the Oregon coast quite a few times, it's gorgeous.

• User
    7 years ago

Soft yellow or fun blue-green color! How cute!!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

My vote's for a soft yellow, a little bit of welcoming sunshine.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Mtn, Cannon Beach is pretty cute, but very touristy. Manzanita is a very short distance south and touristy, too, but smaller and I prefer it. The Mexican restaurant is fun with great outdoor deck seating (no view) Leftcoastsiesta. Be sure to head to the public beach in Manzanita...lots of sailboard/parasail things..not sure what you call them, but very fun to watch or maybe rent and try. I hope you have reservations for lodging...it's a bear in the summer to find places. If you want to eat at Blackbird, make a reservation soon! Just open for dinner. Get the fresh garbanzo farro salad. We went back a second night just to have it again.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mtn, that is quite an endorsement for Hampshire Gray! Does it read fairly green?

When are you doing your west coast trip? I'll echo Olychick's assessment of Canon Beach -- art galleries and restaurants and shops, Haystack Rock (very cool), but more touristy than other stops along the coast. Astoria is good if you're a history buff or a beer drinker. If you want dramatic and gorgeous coast, Hug Point is wonderful, as is Short Sands Beach (also known as Smugglers Cove) in Oswald West State Park. Try to go on weekdays...weekends can be swamped. Also go at low tide if timing cooperates and check out the tide pools. Have a wonderful vacation!!!
  • sis2two
    7 years ago

arlosmom- It does indeed read green- an olivey green gray color. I could definitely see it on the door of your cabin, which I just love by the way!

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mrsshaye and linelle, I like the idea of a soft yellow. When I'm home again I'll pull out the fan deck to check out options. Linelle, were in Rockaway! Cute little beach town. And only a couple of miles to the fisheries that have amazing Dungeness crabs.
  • arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sis2two thanks! Is it a pretty saturated color? I think it has definite potential and I think it fits the rustiness of the setting.
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Arlosmom, a couple of years ago I rented a really nice condo in Rockaway Beach, right on the water. My criteria is to walk out onto the beach, not have to hike down a long trail through the grass, which so much of the WA coast has. Sorry for the paint color to Ore coast highjack! Last visit, I was looking for rainy day things to do and found such interesting info about that part of the coast. Who knew about the WWII dirigible hangars in Tillamook? Not me!

Blimps on the coast
    Then I read about the resort and natatoriam in the early 1900's at Bayocean! SO interesting.
    Bayocean

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Olychick, did you visit the Tillamook Cheese factory too when you were there? Also a bit of a tourist trap but at least the cheese is local. We were disappointed in the French cheese place too. We drove around the outside of the blimp hanger but so far haven't ventured in. No problem with the hijack, I love the coast and it's fun to compare notes. Do you get there often?
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

No, just once a year or so...it's only 3 hours from where I am, so I should do it more often. Blissful! We skipped Tillamook. I've taken a self guided artisan cheese tour with my friend to very small creameries/dairies up in Skagit/Whatcom counties in WA. So fun to visit the farms where they actually produce the milk and make the cheese. I was hoping Blue Heron was similar. Not really interested in corporate food production, but when I was growing up, Tillamook was our very favorite cheese. It's still iconic in my mind, but I pretty much skip anything that's not organic these days.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Mallard Green

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I agree about a nice pop of blue, but I wouldn't go quite so green/blue. More like the door below. (I also added the blue to your pillows.)

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Hampshire Grey is chameleon-y. I find it olive-Y. ymmv

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

Arlosmom, I think mustard/gold would look great for your door. I suggested turquoise and do think it would look good, but I love turquoise so its my fall back. But if blue is not your thing then try a few golden yellows.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I bowed to the wisdom that is GardenWeb and went with a grayed down blue/green. So here it is, Benjamin Moore Stratton Blue for the win!

I'm really happy with it and don't think I would have gone in that direction without all of you, so THANKS!!! (The door is not 100% done..we need to plug the hole where a previous handle set had been, and then I'll give it another coat or two of paint but I wanted to share how good the color looks.)

• sis2two
    7 years ago

That looks great!!! Just perfect!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Wonderful choice. Very beachy.

• ceezeecz
    7 years ago

Love it! I think it's just right.

• theclose
    7 years ago

Looks fab!! So glad you like it.

• C Marlin
    7 years ago

PERFECT

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

so pretty! And I can totally see it tying in with your settee as is ... maybe add one little pillow in that shade

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I love your beach cabin and location! Your door color is great, too, and you don't need to do anything different about your cushion or pillows.

ETA I'm going hunting at a flea market in a few hours for a rustic coffee table for my future front porch - something like yours would be a great idea. Friends of mine are giving me a couple of rocking chairs that they'd gotten for free, but which don't work at their place.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

Perfect! Now, I think an indoor tour is in order. More pics? I always love what you do with your homes and I bet the inside is sweet, too.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Wow, that's a great blue.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Looks great :)

• rubyclaire
    7 years ago

Very pretty!!