SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Evolution of my CF membership rationale/goals

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I first found GW and subsequently CF after I bought my first house and had a steady job and finally found myself with enough time AND a place to entertain and decorate and do landscaping. My first CF post was about how to make a roast turkey because for the first time I was having my family at my house for Christmas and vegetarian me had no idea how to make a roast turkey. A bad Thanksgiving dry turkey at a friend's house had scared me. I still remember Wendy/Weed's advice telling me it was going to be easy . . . and it was! I

At the time CF was a great place for me because I lived alone and didn't have any foodie friends to shoot the breeze with. Suddenly I was entertaining more and wanting to try more things in the kitchen with the time. I enjoyed cookalongs and virtual dinners, gave me an excuse to entertain. I tried a lot of new recipes. I have a huge backlog of them now . . .

Then my life took a huge turn for the chaotic during the last recession and a lot of family responsibilities, and has never really recovered. I cook less, entertain less, and when I do, I just want to keep it simple and go with tried and true. I pretty much became MIA on GW. I started participating more now that I am home and still wanting to shoot the breeze with some fun positive folks, but my cooking mojo is still pretty much gone, I just want to keep it simple and fast. I'm starting to return to my passion for making soups to use up what's lying around, but don't really need help or inspiration in that department.

I just read a fascinating article about how to become a "happier" person based on brain chemistry. Not really sure how scientifically accurate the article is, but I always like practical suggestions of concrete actions a person can take that make sense to me. I posted a link to it below. I'm sorely missing in most of the activities mentioned in the article, but can definitely strive to make time for some of them every day. I even set up a Toggl menu for some categories of activity that are happiness related. One of them is learning new things and setting goals and seeing the results. Exercise was listed as a type of activity with the goal setting, but I like activities where the time between the goal and the results is quick. That's why I enjoy canning, couple of hours from start to that satisfying stack of finished canned goods. Cooking can provide that rush too, trying a new recipe . . . IF it ends up being delicious. Too often my attempts are misses. Most usually OK, just not especially delicious.

My new cooking goals are to budget time into my week to cook frugal dishes, and some of the old tried and true traditional foods in that department. I am going to try to pick up the bread quest again. Right now emphasis is on end of the garden stuff, mostly canning and freezing though.

How about you, how have your cooking styles and goals evolved, what's your cooking mojo like these days? What positive things can you get from CF? I love hearing about others' passions!!

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-boost-happiness-hormones-like-serotonin-and-dopamine-in-everyday-life

Comments (13)