SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 45

zen_man
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 44, has exceeded 100 messages, with a lot of picture content and a lot of text content, and that could make the thread slow to load for some users, so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. (Or plant breeding in general, or feral cats or precocious cats or locusts or chupacabras or whatever.)

A predicted killing frost here in East Central Kansas this coming Saturday morning will end my outdoor zinnia project. So I have already started my indoor project, although my indoor zinnias are currently at a very early stage on a single shelf.

My current seedlings are only a few days old, and they have just their "seed leaves" so far.
Each zinnia gets its own label and designation code (a letter followed by two or more numeric digits), which stays with it through its entire life cycle, and provides some information if that specimen is chosen as a "breeder".

As I have mentioned previously, my zinnia breeding strategy is guided by Sturgeon's Law, which means that I plan to grow about ten times as many zinnias as I will use as "breeders". I will cull a lot of zinnias, including some that are fairly good.

In this indoor startup phase, I am busy washing pots (I start all of my zinnias in 3.25-inch square "clear" plastic pots), "decompressing" compressed ProMix, and planting seeds. So I am busy, busy, and enjoying every minute of it. Well, nearly every minute.

I look forward to your new or continued participation with comments
and photos (and possibly even videos) here in this message thread. Thank you, Alex, for bringing video to our attention. When it comes to video, I am basically clueless, but I hope to learn.

ZM

Comments (108)