SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_466985

Stair hack job; what are my options for having it done right?

J
3 years ago

I was having whole-house flooring put in, waterproof vinyl plank. Everything used to be carpeted. The stairs are worrisome to me.

I was not aware that those end pieces had to be put on when using a floating floor application, so that was a surprise, and I think they make the steps look like something you'd see in an RV (no offense to RV owners, but that wasn't quite the look I was going for). Worse, though, they chopped off about 2” of the edge of the stair treads to make the end moldings fit, and I kept misjudging the stair depth and stumbling...the finished stair depth now ranges between 8 and 9 inches, depending on the stair.

The other pics I include, wondering just if this is normal finish work? They installed a floating lvp floor, baseboards, and stairs. The stairs are only half done currently...I show the undone parts so you see how much they took off.

At the top of the stairs, the rail posts were embedded directly into the carpet, but after removing the carpet, they had to put a piece of wood underneath to bring the rail level again...but it just looks odd.

GC came out in response. Told me the quarter round trim was normal and "it's what they do in high-end luxury homes", and I should use a dark sharpie on the ends to help it blend in, because "that's what everyone does". He also said, twice, that the stair tread depth requirement is 8". I asked them to stop work on the stairs, and just finish the rest of the baseboard around the house. A couple hours later, I asked the GC to confirm over text the 8" requirement, and he eventually said he was incorrect and they cut too much off, and they're replacing the stair treads at no cost.

So, all that said. I no longer trust the abilities of the guy that the GC hired for the flooring, nor do I trust whatever the GC tells me. So I have to be clear and direct regarding exactly what I want done, so there can be no pushback as to whether it's done correctly. Unfortunately, I have exactly 0 knowledge as to what needs to be done. All I know is they're replacing the stair treads; what should I insist on in order to make sure that's done correctly? Also, they say there's no other way to install that vinyl plank on the stairs without that huge nose. If that's the case, I don't want it, and would rather just stain the wood and have wooden steps....right?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Pics here.

(Never mind the white railing, we just primed it tonight for paint this weekend, along with filling all the nail holes in the baseboard)

Comments (17)