SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

How do you handle when things are not done right and aren't fi

mamaandsage
4 years ago

Overall I think a decent GC who provides a decent designer and we have a decent electrician. There have definitely been some things that have come up that make me scratch my head or make me a little sick to my stomach at times though. My electrician did not put can lights in the right place. He provided us with some good ideas an extra can lights but she's not the kind of guy that says measuring and every aspect of the kitchen and the lights in front of the pantry are 4 inches away. I don't think I can live with that without it bothering me down the road. New ceiling with fresh drywall, peimed and painted now may possibly show patches when he moves the lights. This will be more work for me even though he is willing to help with it. I think he's a good guy and wants us to be happy and that he thought had better ideas than designers drawing and thinks any little thing that we have to move are patches no big deal. In the end I saved a few thousand using him but who is to say that the contractors electrician might not have messed up also.
There have been a handful of things that I have caught from the designer or the workers. One thing that I caught a little too late was that they forgot that I had a 3" spice rack pack and drilled a hole for the outlet in the back of my nice wooden Pantry. They had to cut a separate hole for where the outlet will actually go and they just put the piece of wood back in that hole. It looks ugly not happy about it but it will be in the back where we hopefully won't see it when we have food in our pull outs. I'm thinking that would cost a lot of money and effort for them to fix so I will let it go but I had to help them correct their mistakes when I'm there was confusion on why there wasn't a spice rack at my house or on their plan and now I'm going to have to live with the cut in my pantry.
I am thinking that lots of things must go wrong during these jobs and in the past have had many headaches when we put in our pool & Landscaping I don't think it's worth fighting about. People are human and not detail oriented enough but part of me really wants to ask for them to give me something for are imperfect items and for all of the headaches.
The can lights in particular has caused a lot of grief and will mean extra work and slowing down other jobs. I think a contractor things if they fix it or try to make their best effort that's probably all they need to do.
What do you do when something has caused grieve for something that can't really be fixed easily? Thx!

Comments (15)