SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

How do you handle things like this? Awkward situation.

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

Background:

I have a friend who is a much older woman. She is a widow with no kids and very little family - no one at all in the area.

Twice in the past year she has come close to selling her house. She asked me to tell her what I thought it was worth so I did. She thinks I estimated low and her home is worth $100,000 to $200,000 above what I estimated. She won't list the house officially but let's people know she would sell. Twice this has almost worked out, but guess what... they can't reach an agreement on price - off by $100,000 to $200,000.

So now she's decided she will never move. She is almost 70 with an extremely bad back and her bedroom is up 3 flights of stairs.

Still, having decided she won't move she has decided to renovate her kitchen and constantly asks my opinion.

I honestly think that nearly everything she wants to do is a huge mistake if she wants to be able to sell the house and get her money back. Of course today she is never moving, but tomorrow that could change.

She has been sold on black lacquer cabinets that are about double the cost of any of the other (extremely expensive) choices when using the highest end custom cabinets in the area.
The island will have an Asian theme (I managed to dissuade her from bamboo cabinet inserts and employing an artist to paint Asian themes on the cabinets themselves), but the island will have intricate lattice work and I believe some painting - all on very red wood.

She has a soffit on one side so will double stack the cabinets on the other side (a look I love), but will access the uppers with an attached library ladder. I also love the IDEA of this, but wonder how much space it will take up in a relatively small kitchen with below minimum aisle widths, not to mention she probably shouldn't be hanging out up ladders with her back as bad as it is.

I have tried gently raising concerns to her and have been brushed off. I finally said I was concerned she would not get her money back on the cabinets if she sold the house and was told that she definitely would because they are so fabulous and that I keep criticizing...
This does not stop her from asking my opinion on the next thing, and the next.

Do I just lie and say great like everyone else is doing? She keeps citing how the designer, cabinet builder and GC are so impressed with her out of the box vision, but they all stand to profit from her spending silly money on this renovation.

I was in real estate for years and I am 99% sure that putting black lacquer cabinets and an Asian themed island into a completely traditional row home is a bad resale mistake. It wouldn't matter if she really were going to live there forever, but the last potential deal fell through a couple of months ago and she's in massive reaction. I tried suggesting she hold off for a while before making any decisions, but no dice. This reno is going to cost her approx $125,000 and I doubt it will add any value to her home which means she is going to be even more upset if she tries to sell it again.

But I've said what I can right? Now I butt out and just agree with her choices knowing she wouldn't listen to me anyway and it's really none of my business?? I just wish she would stop asking my opinion. I have a terrible poker face and I HATE those cabinets. Hate them. The sample looks like the cheapest cabinets to me yet they cost almost triple what we paid for ours in a kitchen twice the size.
What do you do when friends ask your opinions on their kitchens and you think they're on the wrong track? Tell the truth or tell them what they want to hear?

Comments (53)