Back into Misfits - it is New England Autumn here
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Should I try this rose or that rose, here in New England?
Comments (8)Dollsandroses, I see on HelpMeFind that Julia is very highly rated by members. America has been a rose I noticed a long time ago and have always liked it, I will look into those two, thanks. Maureen, thanks for sharing the results of your own research. There is a lot of information out there and it certainly takes time to sort through it all, so I appreciate it. It is helpful to get a reality check. You don't want to be chasing after something that doesn't exist. Yes, I guess I would love to have something that keeps blooming until frost but I realize that there really isn't one rose that has all those qualities, but I figured it never hurts to ask. [g] I haven't spent much time over at Antiques but I plan to. I've heard of Quadra and I have seen photos Mme Plantier that I really like. Marchesa Bochella such a pretty name. I will check these out, thanks. York Rose, I think I'm going to have to do more research on the climber. I didn't realize New Dawn had a silvery sheen, never having seen it in person, Thanks. Rugosas, I would love if I were by the beach, but in my small garden, I have found shrubs that sucker to be difficult for me to deal with. I vacationed in a beach community as a child and loved the beach roses! I have had my eye on that Stanwell Perpetual and I didn't realize it repeats...I am going to have to take a good look at that, thanks, I would have zoomed past that one. It would seem the New Dawn has it's fans and then those who describe it as a monster...lol. I've heard that before lesmc. I'm still trying to make up my mind about it. Interesting that there might be different plants out there behaving differently. Consensus on the mild fragrance though. veilchen, I wish I had a wild corner on my property where I could fit some rugosas and just let them go. I have been reading lots of raves about New Dawn so it's good to hear the other side of it to get a clear picture. Thanks. You said 'mine is very vigorous'....did you mean you have the 'Teasing Georgia'? So it would seem that giving up the repeat bloom might allow me to have the rest of what I want. Maybe I can find something that repeats that I could compromise on the other traits to keep something in bloom. I like the albas. Good to know FParmentier is vigorous as well as pretty. Thanks for all the specific information, I'll keep editing my list. :-)...See MoreNew England gardeners who grow camellias?
Comments (18)tmn, if you want spring blooming types, the "April" series are a good choice. Most are rated for zone 6. If you have a spot that is protected from winter wind, that's a plus. Also, they get burned by winter sun, so you need to keep them in a shaded spot, keeping in mind the changes in the angle of the sun throughout the seasons. A spot that is a bit warmer, such as near a stone wall or house, foundation, etc. that may hold a little heat is a help as well. I don't do anything special in winter, unless there is a heavy snow load that could break the branches. This past winter was especially brutal, and much of the tops of my plants (6-7 feet tall ones) were burned, and the buds in those parts were killed. The parts that were buried in snow for a few weeks are fine, and the flowers bloomed as always. The new growth in the "good" parts is moving along normally, healthy green shoots. But in the damaged parts of each plant, only now do I see some tiny green shoots. I am sure the plants will recover this year but it will be another few weeks before the damaged areas start to look good again. There are also many fall blooming types, which are generally a bit hardier than the spring blooming ones, and you don't have to worry about the buds being killed in a cold winter, since they form during summer and then bloom in fall. Good luck with yours! I'd like to know how they do for you....See MoreNew England camellia growers?
Comments (29)I would move the roses as soon as you can work the soil, Roses tend to leaf out very early. I am wondering, since you say they are "fuchsia) in color, and since they have been cut down so many times, if these aren't just the rootstock onto which hybrids had once been grafted. Most hybrid teas,etc. have a rootstock such as "Dr. Huey" (rambling with dark red flowers), or some other varieties. If the hybrid graft is killed or cut off, then the understock will thrive and grow and that's all you'll have left. If that's the case, they may not be worth moving or saving, since all you'll get is long, rambling canes of not-so-pretty flowers. If you want some nice roses that bloom all season, need almost no care, and stay as a shrub (3x3' to maybe 6x6') look at the Knockout roses. Red, pinks, yellow, white and apricot. This photo was late October so not as covered with flowers as earlier in the season, but still going strong. (You can see the all spent blooms.)...See MoreRedoing our back garden - New England
Comments (8)One thing you can do right off the bat is ask a recommended local tree company to come look at the health of your trees. In my area none of them charge for this. Their arborist will help you identify the trees you have and their danger or potential. Since trees are the most permanent element of your landscape and what organizes the space three dimensionaly (also determining sun and shade), it makes sense to make decisions regarding them first. Other first steps you should take are testing your soil, mapping and measuring your sun, and inventorying your existing plants. I would not bring in a designer until you have all of this information and have lived on the property a full year....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

SPRING GARDENINGSpring Gardens Are Waking — Here’s What to Do in March
Excitement fills the air when gardens come back to life. These guides will help you make the most of yours
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNHouzz TV: Take a Leaf-Peeping Road Trip in New England
Ride along with a Houzz contributing photographer to see gorgeous autumn eye candy from New York to New Hampshire
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGPhoto Tour: Fresh Fall Exteriors in New England
Pumpkins, mums and cornstalks add a natural seasonal touch to brownstones in Boston’s Back Bay and Colonials in Reading
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGet the Look: New England Garden Style
Stone walls, clipped hedges and flowering borders contribute to this traditional look
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGHouzz Call: Show Us Your Autumn Views
Share your pictures of fall foliage and decor in the Comments. Your photos may be featured in an upcoming story!
Full Story
NATIVE PLANTSAutumn Joy: How to Get 3 Months of Fall Flowers
Enjoy blooms from September to November by mixing 6 asters native to different areas of the U.S.
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESAn Ode to Autumn in the Garden
We pause to celebrate the light, the leaves, the blooms and living in the moment
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESThese Spectacular Views of Fall Foliage Will Lift Your Soul
Soar over picturesque New England and Midwest landscapes to see glorious autumn scenes
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGGreat Design Plant: Symphyotrichum Novae-Angliae Ushers in Fall
With bold purple flowers easily accessible to pollinators, New England aster offers loads of interest in the autumn garden
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNHow Brick Fits Into Today’s Gardens
Natural brick is often considered a traditional building material. Here’s how people are using it in contemporary gardens too
Full Story






party_music50