SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Should I try this rose or that rose, here in New England?

Trying to decide what will be my best chance for success with roses. I will definitely not be spraying. I am in zone 6a. I would love the most disease resistant, most fragrant, heavy flowering, vigorous, exceptional roses I can find. I don't want much. [g] From the reading I've done so far, it seems like many people are in a constant search for just that. Lots of trial and error. Lots of different information reporting one variety to be great over another and then plenty of posts that at least some of those same roses are on someone's 'shovel prune' list. At least that is my early impressions. So, here's a chance to answer the question, are there exceptional bullet proof roses for the New England area?

So far I've done a minimum of research and not exhaustive by any means and I'm thinking that there is enough information out there to suggest these roses are worth considering trying. If anyone has experience with growing any of them I would love to hear about it.

I am not a fan of rugosa roses at the moment. If I had a different property I might be, but they don't fit my plans right now.

I would like a yellow rose.... 'Julia Child' or 'Sunsprite' Or...?

What about for a climber that is fragrant and disease resistant and vigorous? 'New Dawn' or it's sport 'Awakening' ....or .... ?

A climbing yellow? 'Graham Thomas' or 'Teasing Georgia' or...?

A white rose with heavy fragrance that keeps about a 4ft x 4ft size or smaller and blooms it's head off and is disease free? 'Marie Pavie', 'Mme Plantier' or other?

Any old garden roses that if you had room for one rose, you would choose that one? Would 'Felicite Parmentier' or 'Rose de Rescht' be one of them or something else? I have my eye on 'Crested Sweetheart' too.

That's as far as I've gotten, am I on the right track?

Comments (8)