SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwgriffi

Multi list sites with (slightly) different info than the MLS?

DWG
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm in contract with a property, a cabin in a fairly remote town in NYS, and am in the process of getting a septic system inspection. All of the listing sites (we were using Zillow, but it was on all of them) have list system simply as "Septic", and no info beyond that was given by the seller's agent when we were shown. By chance I came across the person who had installed it (40 years ago) who told me it was a shared septic and shared well, and we verified this in county records. Otherwise we would have discovered this at the inspection.

Now, I know shared septic and wells are not uncommon in these parts for older builds, so that's not really the issue, though our preference has been for private septic. But I've been told a few things about why this is something I shouldn't feel I've been mislead on, which is what I expressed when I found this out. One, that just because a system is described on the MLS as simply "septic" doesn't mean it's a private system. That seemed off to me, since our experience has been that every system that was shared said so in the listed, and we saw our share of those. We'd only been looking for six months so it's been a learning experience for us, but we felt we could conclude that if it didn't say "shared" it wasn't. What are your thoughts on this? Is it common for shared septics to not be specified as such in the listing?

The second is: it has been claimed by the seller's agent that the main county MLS real estate mother listing had it as shared septic and well but the info didn't make it to the public listing sites. This also struck me as odd but I can't say, not know something like that is not unheard of in the transfer of info to the public Zillow, Realtor etc sites. Does this happen occasionally? That something can be blamed on the info not being scraped properly to the public sites?

Thanks very much for any wisdom and experience here. It is very much appreciated : )

D

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!