SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly23675

Installing closet door glide tracks over laminate floor

Holly
3 years ago

I am selling my house, which had laminate floors in the bedrooms when I moved in. Whoever installed the floor never re-installed the closet door glide tracks. This came up in our inspection when we bought the house, but I didn't think it was a big deal and let it go. We removed the closet doors anyway. Now that we are getting ready to sell, we re-installed the closet doors and purchased plastic glide tracks because I figured it would come up in the inspection again.

After some effort, I was able to secure the track with the 3/4" screws provided with the glide track kit by drilling the screws into the floor. I did NOT drill pilot hole first, just muscled the screw in with a hand screw driver and dinky little cordless drill. I didn't even screw them all the way because I stopped when I realized that we have a reinforced concrete foundation (!) and since I did not install the floor, I have no idea how thick the laminate is. The previous owners left samples in the garage, but there are two different thicknesses. One is super thin, the other is thicker, but not nearly 3/4" to accommodate the entire screw. There is a big stamp in the garage floor that says "Reinforced Concrete. Do NOT drill." And the laminate floor is laid over the concrete slab. Oh no! Now I'm worried that I drilled through the laminate, then into the concrete, and hit a rebar or the wire mesh grid, and now my foundation will crack.

My husband thinks I'm being ridiculous. He says there is no way I'd be able to drill through the concrete with the tools I was using, and even if I did, the wire mesh and rebars are sunk deeper down than 3/4", plus there's the laminate material to get through first, and the plastic glide part is 1/8". So even if I did get through the concrete, it would only be just grazing the surface of it, or only 1/8 to 1/4" in at the most, and the metal parts are much deeper down.. What do you guys think? Do I have cause to worry? I still have to install the glide track in the other bedroom. Is it safe to use these 3/4" screws, or is there a better way to attach the plastic tracks to the laminate floor?

Comments (3)